This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Long delay between the detected motion and the switch

2»

Comments

• Hi, check your zwave logs, I'll bet you many have timeouts reaching that fibaro device. I blamed Athom before as I was/am experiencing huge delays as well. In the end, they pointed me out to the zwave logs and the were right. I had to physically move / re-adding some devices to "repair" the zwave mesh network and things are now much better. By the way, it is always the case with the battery devices.

One thing which is still strange, I get the motion detection instantly as well, but it seems the delay is in the traffic after that (turn on switch, please acknowledge, etc).
  • Interesting! Do you mean that usb powered motion detectors - I have a bunch of Aeotec Sensor 6's - shou;d react faster than battery powered sensors?
  • Maybe with other powered motion sensors, my aeotec usually takes it time to send the motion on command (this is definitely the sensor as you can see the led blink on motion) vs fibaro battery sensor

There can be a difference in secure or unsecured (this is for both battery and powered), with secure there is also the traffic:
    sensor -> homey give me the current secure token,
    homey -> sensor the secure token,
    sensor -> homey a secured data line,
    homey internally then decrypts the data and sees it is the motion on command

But in theorie this shouldn't cause even a second of delay.

Often big delays come from other zwave device(s) spamming homey with data that it also needs to process
  • I think my Aeotec bathroom sensor is paired securely; the led light turns on as blue, whilst all my other Aeotec's light up green. I do find the delay in the bathroom longer than other responses; I guess I will repair it 'normally'. 
  • steinissteinis Member
    edited October 2017
    same problem here, I have only two Fibaro motion (one plus, one regular) and two Fibaro Dimmer 2 (Both plus) for testing. I have done som test and the Motion plus to Fibaro dimmer 2 is using 2-3 second and the none plus is using 1-2 second. Im used to this happening immediately so this is a huge delay and why I can't switch to Homey.

I do not understand why I can't decide to add a z-wave device non-secure, it make no sense to add a bathroom motion sensor secure:P
  • Same issue here... when i use hue standalone, then the lights turn on with zero delay... but via homey, i have also 2 a 3 sec delay... biggest issue for me is the lights on the stairs... i am almost downstairs before the lights go on.

in this case, i have bridge 2, motion and led strip, all hue.
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited February 2018
    throw those fibaro motion sensors away( i did :D ) ....for me they never worked normally.
    Since i started using the motion sensors from coolcam , i never have those issues anymore.
    And an advance is that they are much cheaper.
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited February 2018
    Send me a PM and i give u an adress to "throw" the Fibaro motion sensors to.
  • Send me a PM and i give u an adress to "trow" the Fibaro motion sensors to.
    to late  :/
  • TowandaTowanda Member
    edited February 2018
    I have three Fibaro Motion sensors that turns lighs on and off, two are close to the Homey (<4 metres) and one that is one floor below and at the other corner of the house (approx 25 metres away, floor is about 50 and 3 walls about the same thickness. To my suprise this sensor also have direct contact with Homey but it takes about 4 - 75 seconds before it turns a switch in the same room on. Fort testing I moved the sensor 30cm from Homey and made it control a switch 50 cm from the Homey and then there was no delay in turning the light on/off.

The first two or three months they all worked without delay but then I added some devices and problem with some Popp IP 44 plugs that stopped working and since then the lag started, Developer tools show 3 unknown devices which i can't find in the network graph or anywhere else. This might be the Popp switches that stopped working (i managed to exclude them but maybe not everything worked out when I did)

Hope this can help you find the cause.
  • I tried to decrease the reports from the motion sensors, ie changed lumen value change to report to 5000 where i dont use lumen, same for temperature and other values and now it all works as a charm again <span>:smile:</span>. Suggest you try to decrease the amount of traffic from the motion sensors and see if that works for you as well.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge can figure out why this occurs if this solves the problem for more people.
  • @Towanda You wrote: changed lumen value change to report to 5000. What was the Value before you changed it?
  • I am not sure but it was att default value (think its 200.) The parameter is named parameter is named "Illumination report threshold (lux)". I increased the value of all parameters i thought was not necessary for the flows or the info in want, wanting to try if they somehow sent to much info and it seems that was the case.
  • Towanda said:
    I am not sure but it was att default value (think its 200.) The parameter is named parameter is named "Illumination report threshold (lux)". I increased the value of all parameters i thought was not necessary for the flows or the info in want, wanting to try if they somehow sent to much info and it seems that was the case.
    It can also be the case that because you did put the device in learning mode, it is refreshed and working fine again.
    I did have that sometimes also
  • canedje said:
    Towanda said:
    I am not sure but it was att default value (think its 200.) The parameter is named parameter is named "Illumination report threshold (lux)". I increased the value of all parameters i thought was not necessary for the flows or the info in want, wanting to try if they somehow sent to much info and it seems that was the case.
    It can also be the case that because you did put the device in learning mode, it is refreshed and working fine again.
    I did have that sometimes also
    I am not saying that is not the case but I tried to put the sesor I had most problem with  in learning mode to try to make it "update the Zwave network" and exclude and include the sensor  maybe 20 times and it didn´t help any of those times but decreasing the amout of reports sent fixed the problem. I could be that the 21st time everything worked out right. I am not saying I found the root to the problem but it worked for me.
  • im haveing the same problem. I have a small hallway and it takes about 1,5-2 secs for the light to turn on.
    I did have a Multisensor 6, did change that to a Fibaro cause it has direct associations. 

For me it did not make any big different. I will do some more testing maybe next week, but i did put another multisensor 6 in the big hallway, and that one turns on a Qubino Switch. Maybe takes 0.5secs.

When useing direct associations it cannot be Homeys "Bad" cause the sensor talkes direct with the dimmer.

Im wondering if its the dimmers thats the problem? That it takes "1 sec" to dim up?

• ingmar said:
    Hi, check your zwave logs, I'll bet you many have timeouts reaching that fibaro device. I blamed Athom before as I was/am experiencing huge delays as well. In the end, they pointed me out to the zwave logs and the were right. I had to physically move / re-adding some devices to "repair" the zwave mesh network and things are now much better. By the way, it is always the case with the battery devices.

One thing which is still strange, I get the motion detection instantly as well, but it seems the delay is in the traffic after that (turn on switch, please acknowledge, etc).
    how do you check zwave logs ? is there a native way to do it  or do i need apps ?