This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Send sound to speakers - what is supported?

As I understand it Homey is able to play music for instance to any speakers in your house. However, I cannot find what kind of sound devices / speakers are supported. I don't use a system like Sonos for instance.
I have an Onkyo A/V Receiver which is network enabled. I don't have Bluetooth capable speakers.
It would be great if, in the near future, I could ask Homey to play something from Spotify and can hear it through my living room sound system.

Comments

• I think Homey has a line out, but I'm not sure. Bluetooth Speaker support is still on the To-Do list, so that's not yet possible. So how else can you get sound from a speaker. Unless it's the internal Homey speaker. :)
  • I hope they will support google chromecast audio.
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    Yes it has line out. It will also have an "internet radio" function so you can connect to that. I also have a network connected Hi-Fi, a Philips MCI900 but it comes with a fix list of internet radio stations so I am doomed. The line in is already in use.
    DLNA wont be supported. Which I don`t understand. :cry: 
    At least the  remote control functions of the DLNA could be implemented. My device uses fairly standard codes. I can connect to it with any android DLNA app.
  • I didn't know it had a line-out. Are you sure about this? It makes me reconsider where to place my Homey as I wasn't planning it near my A/V receiver (Sony STR-850).

I'd gonna follow this subject with great interest as I'm always listening to music. I currently use the Spotify Connect functionality of my receiver but I'm still uncertain how I can get Homey in the loop so I can use voice control for listening to audio but still use my receiver and speakers for the output.
  • The tricky part of a line out is that I'd only want to use that for *music*, not for talking to Homey. Otherwise, when the line out jack is plugged in but my receiver is OFF, I won't be able to hear Homey talking...
  • Phuturist said:
    I didn't know it had a line-out. Are you sure about this? 
    Sure!
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/2451/#Comment_2451
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/1070/#Comment_1070

A homey Wiki page would be useful.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Homey will eventually support:
    • Internal speaker
    • Line-out
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi streaming
      • AirPlay (we have to figure out the licenses though)
      • Google Cast (we have to figure out the licenses though)
      • SONOS
      • Denon Heos
      • ... any speaker that can play a radio stream programmatically

• DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited January 2016

I'd pay a (reasonable) fee in the appstore to get AirPlay support!

• Emile said:
    • Internal speaker
    • Line-out
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi streaming
      • SONOS
      • Denon Heos

I guess only the first two are actually working right now?
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    i guess sonos because its the most popular of speakers.
    Raumfeld is also become a big player these last months. 
  • As soon as I get my Homey, I would like to create apps to control Mopidy, MPD and MusicBee audio players. I can of course expose the controls as action cards but does Homey offer any api to integrate a new device as separate audio player? The last informative post about this subject is from ~1 year ago and the Media Manager API "has yet to be documented."

Also, if I want to tell homey to "Speel muziek van Iron Maiden in de woonkamer", will it pass something like "playMusic('airon meden', 'woonkamer')", or can I give Homey a list of hints (artists, albums, genres, playlists) to improve it's speech recognition?
  • Emile said:
    • Internal speaker
    • Line-out
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi streaming
      • SONOS
      • Denon Heos

Homey has an internal speaker?? Didn't know that.. I hope it play well with my harman kardon bds 375
  • Reflow said:
    Homey has an internal speaker?? Didn't know that.. I hope it play well with my harman kardon bds 375
    How else could it talk to you?? :)
  • PimBliek said:
    Reflow said:
    How else could it talk to you?? :)
    I thought it was required to connect homey to a wireless speaker system.. Was already looking around to buy something dedicated for just Homey haha.. 
  • And thanks for the answer @Emile !
  • backslashbackslash Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm looking to replace my soundsytem, now waiting for what's Homey going to support. If i read this discussion there is nothing yet. It was one of the reasens to buy the Homey. (lights, music and other media).

@emile, when do you think that "eventually" changes in somtinge i can buy/use ? thx in advance!
  • Emile said:
    • Internal speaker
    • Line-out
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi streaming
      • SONOS
      • Denon Heos

Is or will it be possible to change the used output via settings and flows, set priority (when the selected device is not connected), use multiple at the same time or specific devices for different sounds (music, voice response, etc.)?

Most systems turn off the internal speakers when an external device is connected (eg. headphones or Bluetooth speakers). I hope that's not the case with Homey, because I would like to connect my sound system to the line-out for music (after turning it on via IR) and use the internal speaker for voice responses.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We will eventually make it possible to send the voice output to the internal speaker, regardless of your active speaker. :)
  • @backslash I have seen some plans for support, don't remember the brands. However, out of my own experience I know that Onkyo (as long as you have a device that supports networking) is easy to control by POST-commands so making an app for that on Homey won't be so hard. If no one else does it before I get my Homey, I will make one :) (already have it made in PHP on my server here, so will have to translate it to javascript/nodejs/homey environment)
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited January 2016
    vsub said:
    Is or will it be possible to change the used output via settings and flows, set priority (when the selected device is not connected), use multiple at the same time

I would like to know this aswell.
    I've got 3 bluetooth speaker in different rooms. And homey has 1 transmitter so it should only be able to connect to one speaker at a time.

Perfect would be an command like "play x in room x"

• +1 if entering the toilet, I want different radio stream played there, than the audio playing in other rooms. (All is Sonos here.)
  • Athomey said:
    +1 if entering the toilet, I want different radio stream played there, than the audio playing in other rooms. (All is Sonos here.)
    You want "Waterfalls by TLC" when entering the toilet?
  • For example! You understand me! (Though at the moment I have the Muppets theme song when entering.)
  • JaapPeltJaapPelt Member
    edited January 2016
    Athomey said:
    For example! You understand me! (Though at the moment I have the Muppets theme song when entering.)

This is going on my top 10 homey improvement projects just below playing the thunderbird theme when opening/closing the curtains. 
  • The trick is gonna be the sensor i guess.
    I had one kaku movement sensor in my toilet for putting the light on. That sensor can easily make ur sonos play a MP3 with a http get command. I now have a heat sensor in my toilet. That way the sensor sees me as long as I'm inside and will put the light off when I'm leaving the toilet.
    You don't want the muppets playing in ur toilet all night of course !
  • I realized I do not have a power outlet on the toilet, so an easier solution might be to connect a raspberry pi to the lamp and have it start an mp3 during boot. The internet suggested to play "Let it go"  :D
  • Drop It Like It's Hot!
  • Gone in 60 seconds theme

This discussion has been closed.