This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Tado thermostat

Comments

• RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited December 2017
    Very nice m8!
  • Just installed the beta. Thnx.

Is for presence only the status everyone home or away possible? Or can you also identify single users?
  • 2Be said:
    Just installed the beta. Thnx.

Is for presence only the status everyone home or away possible? Or can you also identify single users?
    Just someone or noone at the moment.
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited December 2017
    Working on different icons for different devices in a next update (next week or so).

Unfortunately, it will again be necessary to remove all tado devices first and add them again, since already added devices are not automatically updated... but that's what beta is about.
  • Great. Looking forward 
    edited December 2017
    The next update is waiting for approval.
    It might take some time as the people at Athom are really busy at the moment.

No big changes, but some improvements.
    However... again some changes (like the icons) which require to delete and re-add the devices... so still Beta.

* 5 Different device icons for:
        - Zone with a Smart Thermostat only.
        - Zone with one Smart Radiator Thermostat.
        - Zone with multiple Smart Radiator Thermostats.
        - Zone with Smart Thermostat + one or more Smart Radiator Thermostat(s).
        - Zone for Hot water control.

* Bug fix: For each device there were 2 tags & 2 insight logs called `Smart schedule` showing opposite values. Now there's one indicating the actual activity status for `Smart schedule`.

Still thinking about some further improvements which might require re-adding the devices again at future updates.
    - Like including battery status for the devices. I think (while searching for other info) I noticed some basic battery information in the data, like 'LOW', 'MEDIUM' and 'HIGH'

- Including tado Airco Control is still on my to-do list until I have found all required data.

- Maybe (!!) adding a central Home-device which would include some capabilities that are the same for every device in a home now, like outside temperature and weather state. This Home device might also offer Home/Away status for all individual family members/connected phones, instead of the general home/away that is available now.... but again... maybe!!! :cold_sweat: :grin:

• You‘re the best @OpenMind_NL :)

battery status would be a further good Point! 

Just a question: do you have an idea How to repair the eyes in your led ringcollection app?
  • @OpenMind_NL many thanks! Like phil_s battery status is also high at my wishlist but I don't know of this is possible to get this info via the API. 

• blusser said:
    @OpenMind_NL many thanks! Like phil_s battery status is also high at my wishlist but I don't know of this is possible to get this info via the API. 

I just checked where in the API I saw battery info... found it, but it seems very restricted.
    Last week I changed the batteries in one of my devices for new ones... The API now shows: batteryState: 'NORMAL'

So... I'm afraid it might be something like NORMAL and LOW only. I'll see what I can do with it  :)
  • @OpenMind_NL that would already be endless more than the app from Tado,
    since that lacks such info <span>:wink:</span>
  • When I use Tado in a flow (like setting the temperature when someone is sleeping) the next morning Tado will still be locked in this manual mode.
    When I control Tado with a flow, it’s like the default mode is “keep this temperature untill ended by user”. I would like the temperature to stay the same ”untill the next automatic change”. Is that possible?
  • Louis28 said:
    When I use Tado in a flow (like setting the temperature when someone is sleeping) the next morning Tado will still be locked in this manual mode.
    When I control Tado with a flow, it’s like the default mode is “keep this temperature untill ended by user”. I would like the temperature to stay the same ”untill the next automatic change”. Is that possible?
    Ah! You are right. Always thought it would go to the last manual setting but it always seems to be 'active untill ended by user'.
    I'll think about this... I could add different flow cards for "Manual until user ends", "Manual for a certain time" or "Manual until next auto change".
    edited December 2017
    Upcoming beta... Currently functional but still under development, so not available from GitHub yet:

* Basic COOL/HEAT support for Smart AC Control.

* Additional device icon:
        - Smart Thermostat + multiple Smart Radiator Thermostat(s).

* Battery state icon for Thermostats.
        - Shows basic but relevant info for one or more battery powered devices in a tado° Zone.

* New Flow Triggers:
        - AC Controller mode has changed

* New Flow Actions:
        - Switch zone off until Timer stops (incl. timer setting up to 24 hours).
        - Switch zone off until Smart Schedule changes.

• great news alex!
    edited January 2018
    First of all... happy new year!

What?... How the tado app is doing? ... well...

UNDER DEVELOPMENT:

* New: Support for Smart AC Control. Check!

* Fixed: Hot water was only available when it supported thermostat control. Now it is also available for boilers with only on-off control for the hot water zone. Check!

* Additional zone/device icon for Thermostat + two or more Smart Radiator Thermostat(s). Check!

* New: Battery state for Thermostats in mobile card. Check!
        Shows minimal info (OK or Low) for one or more thermostats in a tado° Zone

* New Flow Triggers:
        - Battery state has changed. with 'OK' and 'Not OK' tokens with thermostat serial numbers.  Check!
        - AC Controller mode has changed.  with mode token.  Check!
        - Zone is switched on or off (only for Hot Water without thermostat)   Check!

* New Flow Conditions:
        - Temperature setting is/is not between... [values]  Check!
        - Temperature is/is not between... [values]  Check!
        - Humidity is/is not between... [values]  Check!
        - Heating capacity is/is not between... [values]  Check!
        - Air conditioning mode is/is not... [Select mode]  Check!
        - Outside temperature is/is not between... [values]  Check!
        - Solar intensity is/is not between... [values]  Check!

* New Flow Actions:
        - Switch zone off until Timer stops (and Smart Schedule takes control). [timer setting] Check!
        - Switch zone off until Smart Schedule changes (and takes control).  Check!
        - Set temperature until time expires (and Smart Schedule takes control). [temperature and timer setting]   Check!
          (or: Enable zone until time expires , for Hot Water without thermostat)
        - Set temperature until Smart Schedule changes (and takes control). [temperature setting]  Check!
          (or: Enable zone until Smart Schedule changes, for Hot Water without thermostat)

And now I'm working on....

* Special 'Home zone' that checks the tado-connected mobile devices.
    All the other zones will keep the 'global' Home/Away detection, but this one will also be able to offer information about every individual mobile device/person... Like detecting who is at home, who is coming home and who is going away.

* Flow Triggers for Home zone:
        -  Location-Based Control has changed. Check!
           this one triggers when someone switches LBC on or off and offers tokens for 'name' and 'LBC enabled (false/true)'

-  Home/Away status changes. Check!
           this one triggers when someone enters or leaves the home area and offers tokens for 'name' and 'At home (false/true)'

-  Distance status changes. Check!
           this one triggers when the relative distance to the home area changes for a mobile device, and offers tokens for 'name' and 'distance' ( value = 0 to 1, several decimals ). 0 = Home area, 0.5 = a few times the home radius away from home, 1 = very far away from home. This number doesn't seem to have a logical relation to any measure of distance. Nevertheless it's very usable to see if someone is almost home or going further away.

In addition, the 'Home zone' will also get some Conditional flow cards.

When the 'Home zone' development is done, I think we can consider the tado app as finished... offering all information. triggers, conditions and actions that you will never need.  :D

So.... I'll need some days to finish the 'Home zone'... then I need some days to do some extensive tests..... maybe some more days to clean things up... maybe even day doing nothing  :o ... 
    Let's say that I expect to offer a new beta Pull Request to Athom in about 2 weeks... and that might be the last update for a long time... unless something needs to be fixed of course! :smile:
  • Top man!

• wow! with full power goes the "tado-man" into the news year 2018!
    great @OpenMind_NL and happy new year!

edited January 2018

-  Distance status changes. Check!
           this one triggers when the relative distance to the home area changes for a mobile device, and offers tokens for 'name' and 'distance' ( value = 0 to 1, several decimals ). 0 = Home area, 0.5 = a few times the home radius away from home, 1 = very far away from home. This number doesn't seem to have a logical relation to any measure of distance. Nevertheless it's very usable to see if someone is almost home or going further away.

In addition, the 'Home zone' will also get some Conditional flow cards.

I searched the internet if someone found out how the relative distance number ( 0 to 1 ) for tado works.... nothing... :(

Then I started experimenting myself with a Fake GPS app for Android, Google Earth distance measure tool, and some calculations... and finally found a formula to convert the relative distance to a real distance in kilometers... with a margin of about 1-2%, so fairly usable!  B)

Whoever may be interested... this is what I figured out:
    Kilometers = ( 0.023733 * Math.pow( 3.33333333333, RelativeNumber * 10 ) )

and the other way around:
    RelativeNumber = ( (1 / ( Math.log(3.33333333333) / Math.log( Kilometers / 0.023733 ) ) ) / 10 )

So... expect a nice tado-presence implementation in the next beta... if Athom likes it to.  :#

Gonna get some sleep now... 

PS: After some more checks and measurements, it seems that it's even more accurate
     to use 0.025 instead of 0.023733 ... How simple things can be  :#
  • You‘re my hero @OpenMind_NL :p
    edited January 2018
    phil_s said:
    You‘re my hero @OpenMind_NL :p
    Then you have a wrong picture of me! I'm just a programming junkie who has tado devices and wants to squeeze everything out.  :D

BTW: The real heroes are the people at Athom. Without them we would not have Homey or a tado-app at all.
  • 2Be2Be Member
    Wow, what a bunch of great new opportunities @OpenMind_NL

The Home and away funtion from Tado works so much better as the Homey presence detection. After your release I can finally have my alarm turn on and off with the Tado info. Thnx.
  • @2Be

I use this flow:

I think also that Tado is better than Homey for presence detection, but it is not flawless.
    Some times after 15 minutes Homey tells me that the Temperture is set on **. (arriving)

And I use also a flow that everyting that Homey says is send to my telephone bij push.
    When I'm leaving the set temperture is lowering every 500 meters from my home, but some times it doesnt send a message and when I open the Tado app. I get also a message from Homey that the temp is set on **.

(with these flows, you know how tado is working)

1.png 336.6K
    edited January 2018
    Well... at this moment I'm in the proces of cleaning up... and sometimes think of some function or flow card that I could add... which I do. But I think that most of the hard work is done now. Still doing some tests that can take a few days, but if nothing strange happens, I expect to publish on GitHub at the end of this week / coming weekend.
    Then, after some more testing by me and the CLI-people among you, I expect to offer a new Pull Request (Beta version) to Athom next week.

This will be the new readme information... if you think that something is missing... :| ..., let me know!  :#

Currently supported:
    * All types of tado° Heating zones.
      - Matching icons for various configurations.
    * tado° Hot Water zone, with or without thermostat control.
    * tado° Smart Air Conditioning Control (under development).
    * Home device, for weather and mobile device presence.

Configuration
    * Be sure that your tado° devices are properly installed.
    * Go to "Zones & Devices" and add tado° devices.
    * Enter the same login details that you use to access https://my.tado.com.
    * Select the tado° zones and add them to Homey.
    * You can add multiple tado° Homes by repeating device addition and entering different login details.

How does it work
    The app communicates with the online API at my.tado.com and does not directly contact your tado° devices. All data is sent over a secure https connection.

Various capabilities are available for information and Flow control:
    * Device/Zone icon: Tap to disable manual mode and set the zone to Smart schedule.
    * Thermostat dial, or Zone On/Off _(for Hot Water without thermostat)_
    * Sensor display:
      * Temperature. _(Heating and Air Conditioning)_
      * Humidity. _(Heating and Air Conditioning)_
      * Heating capacity (%). _(Heating)_
      * Open Window detection. _(Heating)_
      * Air Conditioning mode. _(AC Control)_
      * Smart schedule activity.
      * Battery status icon  _(Thermostats)_
        - Shows some info for one or more thermostats in a tado° zone.
      * Home/Away status. (Home device)
        - Someone or Nobody is at home.
      * Weather information provided by tado° and OpenWeatherMap.org: (Home device)
        - Temperature outside.
        - Solar intensity.
        - Weather condition.

### Flow Triggers:
      _Heating, Air Conditioning and Hot Water with thermostat_
      * The target temperature setting changes.
        - token: 'temperature'
      * Smart schedule changes.
        - token: 'active', true or false

_Hot Water without thermostat_
      * Hot water is switched on or off.
        - token: 'switched on', true or false

_Heating and Air Conditioning_
      * The temperature measurement changes.
      * The humidity measurement changes.
        - token: 'percentage'

_Heating_
      * The heating capacity changes.
      * Open Window Detection changes.
        - token: 'detection', true or false
      * Battery status changes.
        tokens:
        - 'ok', true or false
        - 'good', serial numbers
        - 'low', serial numbers

_Air Conditioning_
      * The Air Conditioning mode changes.
        - token: 'mode', [Off, Cool, Heat, Fan, Dry, Auto] (not all modes may be available for your AC)

_Home Zone_
      * General Home/Away status changes.
        - token: 'somebody is at home', true or false
      * Mobile Home/Away status changes. [select mobile device]
        - token: 'at home', true or false
      * Location-based control changes. [select mobile device]
        - token: 'location-based control enabled', true or false
      * Distance changes. [select mobile device]
        tokens:
        - 'kilometers from Home Area', 0 - 4000+
        - 'miles from Home Area', 0 - 2500+
        - 'relative distance from Home Area', 0 - 1.
      * Connection validity changes. [select mobile device] (invalid = no connection for a long time)
        - token: 'valid', true or false
      * Stale-status changes. [select mobile device] (stale = no new location for a long time)
        - token: 'stale', true or false
      * Outside temperature changes.
      * Solar intensity changes.
      * The Weather changes to... [select from 19 weather conditions]
        - Sunny, Cloudy, Mostly cloudy, Partly cloudy, Foggy, Drizzle, Scattered rain, Rain, Hail, Rain / hail, Scattered snow, Snow, Scattered rain / snow, Rain / snow, Clear night, Cloudy night, Freezing, Thunderstorms, Windy

### Flow Conditions:
      _Heating, Air Conditioning and Hot Water_
      * Temperature setting is / is not between... [set two temperature values]
      * Smart schedule is / is not active.

_Heating and Air Conditioning_
      * Temperature is / is not between... [set two temperature values]
      * Humidity is / is not between... [set two percentage values]

_Heating_
      * Heating capacity is / is not between... [set two percentage values]
      * Open window detection is / is not active.

_Air Conditioning_
      * Air conditioning mode is / is not... [select from available modes]

_Home_
      * Someone / Nobody is at home
      * Is at home / away [select mobile device]
      * Location-based control is on / off for... [select mobile device]
      * Distance in kilometers is between / not between [select mobile device and set values]
      * Relative distance is between / not between [select mobile device and set values]
      * Connection is valid / broken to... [select mobile device]
      * Location is / is not stale [select mobile device]
      * Outside temperature is / is not between... [set values]
      * Solar intensity is / is not between... [set values]
      * Weather condition is / is not... [select from 19 weather conditions]

### Flow Actions:
      _Heating, Air Conditioning and Hot Water with thermostat_
      * Set temperature for a zone (Activates manual mode).
      * Set temperature until time expires (and Smart Schedule takes control).
      * Set temperature until Smart Schedule changes (and takes control).

_Hot Water zone without thermostat_
      * Enable the zone (Activates manual mode).
      * Zone enabled until time expires (and Smart Schedule takes control).
      * Zone enabled until Smart Schedule changes (and takes control).

_All zone types_
      * Disable zone (Activates manual mode).
      * Disable zone until time expires (and Smart Schedule takes control).
      * Disable zone until Smart Schedule changes (and takes control).
      * Activate Smart schedule.

• Great @OpenMind_NL
    i am looking forward to the homezone-feature for better presence in homey. 
    edited January 2018
    phil_s said:
    Great @OpenMind_NL
    i am looking forward to the homezone-feature for better presence in homey. 
    That part is under heavy testing for a few days now... and it looks promising.

I have a test flow that sends a timestamp with my distance and automatic thermostat changes in a push-message to my watch when I'm away.
    First message is coming in almost immediatly when I leave the home-zone (my radius = 200 meter).
    After doing a lot of location tests with a FakeGPS app on my phone and Google-Earth measurements, and entering all data in an Excel sheet to calculate the best conversion parameters, I managed to get an accuracy of about 96% to almost 100% for 'tado relative distance' -> 'kilometers' calculation. Nearby it's more accurate (in fact very accurate) than far away.  There's an margin of about +/- 10 meters (compared to GPS data) at a distance of 1 kilometer... and at 4000 kilometer distance the margin will be about +/- 170 kilometers.

tado also offers information about the direction of the mobile device. I may be able to use that in combination with the relative distance to calculate a more or less accurate position for a mobile device (instead of a circle around the home), but I wont do that because of privacy reasons. There are other apps that help people spying on relatives    :D

Only one thing is annoying me... When a mobile device turns of all connections (WiFi, mobile data) or when app-access to the phone's location is disabled, it takes about 48 43 hours for tado to report that to their (and our) app. So, you can't use the tado app to report a sudden mobile shut-down or other emergency situations.
    Turning on/off Location-based control in the mobile tado-app is reported to Homey within seconds.
  • hmm, sounds all good but the last paragraph. okay we have to test if it is a bigger problem or something which we can handle. presence-detection for emergency situations is not that thing, but when the mobil battery shut down the mobile and all flows with the presence detection need 40 hours to work again is perhaps annoying.

but we must test. but why is there so a diffence between rporting to tado with shut down and a simple turn on/off of the location-based control?
    edited January 2018
    phil_s said:
    hmm, sounds all good but the last paragraph. okay we have to test if it is a bigger problem or something which we can handle. presence-detection for emergency situations is not that thing, but when the mobil battery shut down the mobile and all flows with the presence detection need 40 hours to work again is perhaps annoying.

but we must test. but why is there so a diffence between rporting to tado with shut down and a simple turn on/off of the location-based control?
    This 48 43-hours period is what tado uses for their Android/iOS mobile app / API.
    I do understand that they don't want to mark a device as offline or location-unknown when it's not communicating for a few minutes, but I agree that 1 or 2 days is a bit long.

The 48 43-hours is not mentioned anywhere by tado... it's also not available as a parameter from their API... I discovered it myself by setting my test-phone to 'flight mode' which disables all communications.
    In the tado mobile-app (on another, still connected phone) you can still see the switched-off device online in the 'circle-graph' when you enable 'Flight mode'... and it will be greyed and marked as 'no location' after  about 48 43 hours (almost 2 days). It may be a little shorter but I presume it is 48 hours because I still saw it online after 36 hours (when I went to sleep) and noticed the device being offline when I woke up.

I will see if I can add a user setting for that... It shouldn't be a big problem to make Homey notice that the tado-location data did not change a bit for a device within a certain time.
    Maybe a minimal setting of 30 minutes, and being able to raise that in 30-minute steps (up to 48 40 hours) would be ok?
    30 minutes may be to low because a device me be on the same location for hours without moving enough to make tado notice that, but for now I can not think of anything else that could make a device identify as 'out of reach' or 'did not move'.

EDIT: Latest test with sending no location to tado shows a time-for-noticing of about 43 hours. I made notes of the time when I disabled location on my test-phone: januari 16, 5:55 AM. This time I kept WiFi on, so the phone could normally connect to the tado-server, but without updating the location. On januari 18, 0:53 AM I received a push message that my test phone did not have a valid location anymore.
  • @OpenMind_NL Version 1.2.0 beta was released in the appstore. 

Do i have to readd the thermostats again to have all new settings?

is the presence option already included? I can‘t read it in the readme 
  • phil_s said:
    @OpenMind_NL Version 1.2.0 beta was released in the appstore. 

Do i have to readd the thermostats again to have all new settings?

is the presence option already included? I can‘t read it in the readme 
    Hey Phil,

Yes... there is a 1.2.0 beta release... and no, it's not my update yet.
    I didn't check it yet, but Emile told me about it.
    The people of Athom and the people of tado seem to have met. I think @Emile updated the login procedure ... that's all for now.

I still have some work to do on my update, and I also have to include the Emile-update.
    In addition, I am not completely healthy at the moment, so I think my update will take a few days extra.
    In any case, it will first be published on my GitHub (available for CLI-install).

• Additional: Yes... For my update you will need to re-add the tado devices because of some driver-changes... again... and I hope for the last time ;)