This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Alexa

[Skill] Alexa Homey skill

Comments

• KikkerX10 said:
    uhm, little bit disapointed, Hoped that you also could trigger flows without "Alexa ask Homey..." but it seems that you can only trigger individual devices which Alexa found after the discovery.
    Please correct me if i'm wrong. 

So it isn't possible to trigger flows without adding a (virtual) device first?
  • Works great for controlling lights! But can anyone tell me if it's possible to get temperature readings or status of a door/window sensor through the new alexa skill as well? 

If so, what is the required voice command for it?
  • Alexa what is the temperature in xxxxx works fine for me. 
  • Did anyone got Alexa to detect Fibaro Rollershutter? 
  • To prevent both Homey and Alexa to access my devices, I disabled the devices on Alexa. When I say "Alexa what is the temperature..." the answer is "no device etc.." In my opinion Homey is not involved when you only say "Alexa what is etc). When I ask "Alexa ask Homey what is the temperature in my living room". The response is the average temperature from the motion detectors in my living room. 
    BTW I'm impressed with this answer since Homey can determine the intention of my question without having a predefined phrase. 
  • Hello,

Just tried this new skill on my Alexa. I am able to discover all devices, but whenever I try to switch or dim a light from the Alexa app, the Alexa app says: Server is unresponsive.

Haven't tried voice controlling, because all my devices have dutch names.

Gr. Remco
  • Just for the record, does Alexa discover BetterLogic virtual devices or other virtual devices? If so I can make a flow with a virtual device instead of the voice command.
  • Count_B said:
    Just for the record, does Alexa discover BetterLogic virtual devices or other virtual devices? If so I can make a flow with a virtual device instead of the voice command.

Virtual devices works. For example, i've got a virual device now named "Everything", a flow that turns off all my devices when this virutal device is turned off and can now ask Alexa to turn off everything.
  • Roephoed said:
    Count_B said:
    Just for the record, does Alexa discover BetterLogic virtual devices or other virtual devices? If so I can make a flow with a virtual device instead of the voice command.

Virtual devices works. For example, i've got a virual device now named "Everything", a flow that turns off all my devices when this virutal device is turned off and can now ask Alexa to turn off everything.
    Thanks! I will try it with the app virtual devices then. Already test it with BetterLogic but that didn't work.

• Count_BCount_B Member
    edited January 2018
    It still doesn't work. What I've done: created a virtual device "Test". After that  a flow -> when this device is triggered -> send notification. Now when I say to alexa: "turn on test" she doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

Edit: It only works if I choose for a on/off device (socket) instead of a button. 
  • After update to the new alexa skill everything that worked like a charm gone!
    Nothing working anymore! 
    thats a big disappointment as I had everything working for months.
  • wimpy said:
    After update to the new alexa skill everything that worked like a charm gone!
    Nothing working anymore! 
    Never mind, installed old skill next to this again, will continue to work with ask homey.

• edited January 2018
    wimpy said:
    wimpy said:
    Nothing working anymore! 
    Never mind, installed old skill next to this again, will continue to work with ask homey.

If you want to use the new skill, first disable the old homey skill.

Then install the new homey smart devices skill from the alexa page: https://www.amazon.com/Athom-B-V-Homey/dp/B078RQSFKB/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1516037385&sr=1-2&keywords=homey+smart+home 

Then go to the alexa app (the new smart home one) on your phone and click "DISCOVER", from here it will add the supported devices (that you added to Homey). <-- without this alexa won't know what devices to trigger!

Now you can say: Alexa turn off all the lights (with the lights being connected to Homey instead of Alexa).
  • I'm looking forward trying the new skill, but could someone give some examples that would work well?

For instance, I now use HAbridge, so basically i need to work with 'dumb' requests like 'alexa turn speaker on', with this skill would it be smarter? so like 'alexa i would like to hear some music?' and for lights maybe the same?

just wondering if i want to replace habridge
  • TheB!TheB! Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm looking forward trying the new skill, but could someone give some examples that would work well?

For instance, I now use HAbridge, so basically i need to work with 'dumb' requests like 'alexa turn speaker on', with this skill would it be smarter? so like 'alexa i would like to hear some music?' and for lights maybe the same?

just wondering if i want to replace habridge
    Used the HA-Bridge to.
    The Tradfri Lights and the Milight App works good. Light on 50%; Light warm, LED red, etc.
    Klikanklikuit also works well with on/off

In German in the app there is a point called "Routine". With this you can save a routine with any sentence you want. I can say "friends are coming" and alexa turn on a virtual device which will start a flow by turning on.

For all http requests I now made a new virtual device. Still just on/off in Alexa, but I can take the raspi out of the system.

Hopefully flows will work with this skill.
  • wimpy said:
    wimpy said:
    Nothing working anymore! 

If you want to use the new skill, first disable the old homey skill.

Then install the new homey smart devices skill from the alexa page: https://www.amazon.com/Athom-B-V-Homey/dp/B078RQSFKB/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1516037385&sr=1-2&keywords=homey+smart+home 

Then go to the alexa app (the new smart home one) on your phone and click "DISCOVER", from here it will add the supported devices (that you added to Homey). <-- without this alexa won't know what devices to trigger!

Now you can say: Alexa turn off all the lights (with the lights being connected to Homey instead of Alexa).
    Wow did this and now everything working! 
    Thanks a lot for the comment, very happy with this addition, voicecontrol is now 100%
  • skoniskoni Member
    edited January 2018
    Flight777 said:
    Did anyone got Alexa to detect Fibaro Rollershutter? 
    No, Missing more diveces in the Skill. 

So I got the Echo dot installed and connected. That works. But still missing a lot of my devices. Like the shutters from Fibaro, power plugs from Neo. The Forest curtains. 

Will that be updated?

• skoni said:
    Flight777 said:

So I got the Echo dot installed and connected. That works. But still missing a lot of my devices. Like the shutters from Fibaro, power plugs from Neo. The Forest curtains. 

Will that be updated?

I think only lights, thermostats and power plug are supported at the moment. So if you have a power plug it should work. Have you tried " discover devices" in the Alexa app?
  • Count_B said:
    skoni said:
    Flight777 said:

Will that be updated?

I think only lights, thermostats and power plug are supported at the moment. So if you have a power plug it should work. Have you tried " discover devices" in the Alexa app?
    Yess I did indeed. It will find devices but not all of them. Some power plugs are present and some not. Tried the option discover several times.
  • Alexa only supports, thermostats, powerplugs, lights for now but with a little trick (virtual devices) you can create a device for a lot more (e.g. Sunblinds, TV, logitech harmony activities, etc) you’ll just define flows with a trigger when virtal device is turned on (make sure you turn virtual device off in same flow otherwise when switching between virtual devices they keep the on status
  • skoni said:
    Count_B said:
    skoni said:
    Flight777 said:

Will that be updated?

Yess I did indeed. It will find devices but not all of them. Some power plugs are present and some not. Tried the option discover several times.

Which brand does work and which doesn't? Or is it completely random?
  • @Count_B,

Missing one Neo coolcam Plug. (visilble in Homey)
    Missing one Fibaro Plug.(visilble in Homey)

The other 2 Neo's are visilble.
    And the shutter from fibaro and the forest Zwave but that is know I believe.

• jeroen_s said:
    Alexa only supports, thermostats, powerplugs, lights for now but with a little trick (virtual devices) you can create a device for a lot more (e.g. Sunblinds, TV, logitech harmony activities, etc) you’ll just define flows with a trigger when virtal device is turned on (make sure you turn virtual device off in same flow otherwise when switching between virtual devices they keep the on status
    Hi @jeroen_s,

Can you send me an example of a flow you using (sunblinds e.g.)

Thanks

• Sure no problem, ps i’ve reversed the signal of the sunblinds as i use homekit to manage the sunblinds (and otherwise they show status opem while they’re closed
  • @jeroen_s
    Thanks, But I do not really understand these flows.
     I made them up in Homey and re-discover in de Echo. But no extra divices showing up.

Is it so that the virtual divice needs to show up then so you can control?

• "Alexa only supports, thermostats, powerplugs, lights for now but ..."

This is not true. Echo also Support roller shutters like the Fibaro one or the Philio PAN08. I have These devices still running with my ZipaBox and I controll all of them without any issue. Beside it is not only on/off but you can also directly set a certain percentage with "Alex set my roller blind .... to xx %".

So it is more a Homey skill issue rather than Echo is not able to do it.

• Count_B said:
    skoni said:
    Count_B said:
    skoni said:
    Flight777 said:

Will that be updated?

Which brand does work and which doesn't? Or is it completely random?
    Hi Hi, for my case i only use MCO switch with homey and some were detected and some were not.

When i use 'Alexa, turn on living room fan' (which was not discover in the first place, it don't work). But if i use "Alexa, ask homey turn on living room fan', it work.

Why???
  • There is 2 skills u know! Try the other skill.
  • There is 2 skills u know! Try the other skill.
    As mention, i tried both, only the old skill (ask homey....) works.

The new one only works with those discovered.
  • Am sorry. Did read ur post a few times but cannot find where u told us u are using both skills.

So, which one of these skills do u have installed on ur Alexa ?
    Forgive me if u said it already.