This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Adding smoke detectors (SA-33 type) to Homey

Hi!
I'm testing some smoke-detectors for a potential Homey-buyer colleague of mine. They look 100% identical to Alecto SA-33, but have a different name (probably re-branded).

How do I add these to Homey? I mean, the original manual wants you to choose one "master" alarm, and then connect all the "slave" alarms to this one. There are 9 detectors in total.

Should all of them be added to a master, and then the master to Homey? 

Or should I NOT choose a master alarm and connect all of them to Homey (which will act as a master?) 

I would like some input on this before I do anything. 

It would make sense to have them separate so I can track WHICH alarm that has been triggered. But some of the detectors will have a rather long distance from Homey (two story garage), so I'm not sure how this should be configured for the best possible setup. 

Comments

• @DIYglenn

I do not own these smoke-detectors but i think you can't connect them to Homey. As far as i can see these smoke-detectors use a closed system to connect between master and slave

• The SA-33 can be connected via the Alecto app. I recently connected 3 SA-33 individual to Homey as a test. Not used the master slave connection of the SA-33.) Had only time to test the range of 1 SA-33 and the range was not that good....
  • tb1962 said:
    @DIYglenn

I do not own these smoke-detectors but i think you can't connect them to Homey. As far as i can see these smoke-detectors use a closed system to connect between master and slave

But they are listed under the "Talks with Homey" page?
  • KikkerX10 said:
    The SA-33 can be connected via the Alecto app. I recently connected 3 SA-33 individual to Homey as a test. Not used the master slave connection of the SA-33.) Had only time to test the range of 1 SA-33 and the range was not that good....
    So what happens when the alarm goes? Does only one beep and notify Homey? 
    To be honest, that's probably more than enough, as they are LOUD. 

But with a poor range, I would probably have to connect the master to Homey, and put it in a central location of the home, so the rest can communicate to the master...

I guess Homey won't know which of the detectors that has been activated unless it is directly connected.

How long range would you say you have through walls etc?

The 433MHz range is rather poor in comparison to f.ex. RFXtrx433 or similar, as I often have dropouts with my thermometers.