This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Use Fibaro Dimmer 2 as switch

If you only need to switch one light (on/off) is there any reason why you would not use the Dimmer 2 for this purpose? The Double Switch 2 from Fibaro can switch two devices with higher power but if you don't need that? The Dimmer 2 is typically better priced and you get a dimmer function for free!

If I read the specification I see that the Dimmer 2 mentions a power consumption of 1.3W, but is this also applicable when using it in switch mode? The Double Switch 2 does not mention any power consumption.

Please advise

Comments

• For what I read some time ago is that the dimmer 2 needs a load connected to the output, to work.

Not really sure if this is true as I was only developing with a lamp connected to the device.
  • danonedanone Member
    edited January 2018
    It works well as a switch only, once I fitted a dimmer 2 to a non-dimable load without knowing that the load was non-dimmable. Until I had the load changed, I used the dimmer 2 as an on/off switch only.
    In the settings I turned off the dim function and selected "no soft-start".

The double switch 2 also uses a bit of power similar with the dimmer 2. You can select this in the device settings and it will show up then.

• Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking. I have one Double Switch 2 already installed and I will check the box on own power consumption to check the usage.
  • I also used a Fibaro Dimmer 2 as a I/O switch for a non-dimmable (6w led) lamp but when it’s tuned off the lamp is flickering. Any thoughts? Do you guys think I can fix this with a bypass?

thanks!