This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
GH

Connect Google home to homey?

Comments

• Go to the url I shared earlier and start a chat with Google support. They are very helpful, you will see.

• I did Google it and installed a beta Google home app if I'm not wrong... Sweden gh here.
  • @hnjveen, I did chat with them yesterday and they can´t do anyting. They say that I need to wait until Google home is released here in Sweden.

@djesko Where can I find the beta app?
  • Will check tomorrow,  did install app and I'm using English language ( always done that)  
  • Sounds great! Thank you!
  • @Nicman  
    at what device do you want to install the assistant app? 

It took me a lot of time to find out it will not install on tablets,  only on phones.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14945500/android-tablets-google-assistant-no-rollout-yet

• Hi
    I have tried on iPhone 7 and Huawei android phone.
    //N
  • JesperJesper Member
    edited August 2017
    I indeed do not get the assistant apps on my Apple Ipad. However, with the Google Home app I'm able to connect different users to the same Google Home and let it recognize my voice. This is not possible on my android devices. But once the different users are setup using the Ipad the different users are applicable for Google Home on every device.

But an android phone set on US should work. At least it does for my Samsung S6 and A5. Otherwise try it with a Samsung S6 from a friend. You only need to activate the Homey assistant app once and it does not mather which device you use for that.
  • Ok, I will try to find another phone.

Thanks
    N
  • NicmanNicman Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi today I bought a cheap Asus Zenpad, and it works :) Now I can se and install Assistant apps. No I just need it to work with my homey :)
  • I have a physical Google Home unit from Amazon US but I am in Singapore. I can't seem to find the Homey app on Google Home even if I switch my language to UK.
  • I have a physical Google Home unit from Amazon US but I am in Singapore. I can't seem to find the Homey app on Google Home even if I switch my language to UK.

you need to change the phone language to English US... 

if you then go into Google home and  tap the three horizontal lines (top left) next to HOME you see "Explore" 
    tap it and Google assistant will open (if you have installed Google assistant already - apparently it is only installable if your  phone language (and region?) is set to US)

And then scroll to HOME CONTROL 
    and find the homey card:

• Now, I am stuck on another point - and Bram from support is trying to help me to fix it as well.

I had Homey and Google Home (GH) play nicely with each other for a day - then I tried to re-install everything because it said "I don' know what you want me to do - but did it anyway... it worked but was irritating. I wish I had left it there.

Since then I can't get GH and Homey to talk to each other!
    I tried a factory reset on both devices multiple times and link- unlinked Homey in the GH app...

the problem seems to be: If I say "Ok google, talk to Homey" - GH confirms the connection and says: ok here is Homey. To use homey please say (see screen shot bottom) 
    BUT if I go and say (or type) "Ok Google, as homey what time it is" I get the error message (see screenshot top)

ANY HELP is apprechiated - because I am running out of ideas, and getting frustrated.

• JonJon Member
    edited September 2017
     I am pretty much stuck in the same place. Homey and Google assistant are connected   (know each other) but I can't seem to let Homey do things when I ask 'Ok Google, Tell Homey. ......'. When I say that, followed by a command such as 'what is the time right now', it's Google assistant who will do a Google search for me.
    Now, how do I get  Homey to respond...??  (yes, both Homey and Google Assistant are set to English)
  • Same problem here
  • Exile82Exile82 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi guys, new on this forum. I discovered Homey this week, and have read a lot since. I am so curious about this device, but before ordering my own I need to do some more research.
    It seems that the integration between Homey and Google Assistant/Home isn't straight forward, I hope that is only a speed bump.

Since the voice recognition of the Homey isn't that great, and painfully slow, I would also like to link it to a Google Home device for turning lights on among other things (Hey Google, tell Homey to turn on the lights on 1st floor).

For you that have this up and running, what is the delay between the command and the execution, give or take?
  • The setup is easy, but you must have access to & install the Google Assistant app. We have two GH devices linked to one Athom Homey. The response time for eg. swishing on/off lights is <2s. Although it is possible to use the command Hey Google Tell Homey ... I rather prefer to use the Assistant shortcuts to send a command to Homey. It's easy.
  • You can also go to the Homey website (https://www.athom.com/en/homey/speech/) and click on view in directory in the Google Assistant part to link Homey to Google Assistant.
  • just got the solution from the Athom help desk!
    Turns out the correct steps are:
    1) link Google home to homey as mentioned above.
    2) ensure Google home can talk to homey  'ok google talk to homey" and the generic response appears "..to talk to homey please say...."
    3) THEN "ok google, tell home to SELECT A HOMEY" 
    4)and only then you can enjoy the superior speech recognition of google home in combination with all the connectivity of Homey!!!

I hope that is of some help.

Thanks to Bram and Emilie for their endurance - homey might be a work in progress, but the customer service makes it worthwhile... 
  • xAPPOxAPPO Member
    edited October 2017
    I added Homey and I tried the above ^^ and Google said it had now selected 'Homey' as my default Homey and I could now use 'OK Google tell Homey' <question>  .... it also seems to allow    'OK Google ask Homey <question>

I tried questions of  'what is the time' and 'what time is it' and all I get back is "By car the journey home is 1 minute with light traffic'  every time.   It seems 'Home' is too close to 'Homey' if the question is a well known one to Google and it gives me a travel time instead.    update:  'what time it is' seems to work 

However other things it does seem to pass through although the question  'are the <zone> lights on' always results in 'turning lights on in the<zone>'.     Hmm just realised that speaking direct to Homey does this too :( I need to become more familiar with the voice capabilities and nuances.
  • @Nicman  
    at what device do you want to install the assistant app? 

It took me a lot of time to find out it will not install on tablets,  only on phones.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14945500/android-tablets-google-assistant-no-rollout-yet

I installed Google Assistant on my Pixel smartphone. And try some Google home commands, I really impressed with its results. It will let me help to get the best out of the Google home device.

• Hello,

I bought a Google Home mini and I’am trying to het it to talk to Homey.

1. Homey language is set to English
    2. google mini is set to US English
    3. iPhone is set to US English

but when I try to add a Home Control service, Homey does not show up in the long list of possible Home Control services.......

gr. Remco
  • Did you install the Google Home & the Google Assistant app?
  • I also have problems connecting Google Home to Homey. In my Google Home app i get a card to Link to Homey. When I press Link the phone dims for a second, but nothing happens. In Home Control - add devices, Homey is not listed. 
  • MbenzNo said:
    I also have problems connecting Google Home to Homey. In my Google Home app i get a card to Link to Homey. When I press Link the phone dims for a second, but nothing happens. In Home Control - add devices, Homey is not listed. 
    I unplugged my system before going overseas and faced the same problem when I powered everything up again.

(It is a good sign that the Homey card shows up at all =  language and country settings are correct )
    Try this, worked for me:
    You need to unlink and link homey from google home, but I fear you will get the same "phone screen dims, google thinking circles" and nothing will happen. 

I had to restart homey (upside down& countdown), then link it to the atoms account before I was able to unlink and re- link homey in the Google assistant, after that everything should be set.
    (ps:  I turned off the mic in homey, since speech recognition runs via google home and through shortcuts for homey)

good luck - it's worth the hassle!
  • I am not very keen on resetting my Homey with 40-50 Z-wave devices and a ton of flows to set up again.

How do I unlink my Homey when I am not able to link it?

• Did a Factory Data Reset on my Google Home, and deleted cache on Google Home app. No luck. Still unable to link account.
  • PipPip Member
    edited December 2017
    Did you ever installed the google assistant app? I had installed google assistant app on my phone, because the google home app didn't let me control the lights in the Netherlands. The google assistant app did. After getting google home mini i did a setup with the google home app for connecting the speaker. With the google mini smartspeaker i now could use the google home app for controlling the lights in the Netherlands. I then deleted the google assistent app, because this is also a part of google home. But then i also couldn't connect the homey account to google home app. Probably because the account was already active on the google assistant app.

My solution was to install the google assistant app back again on the phone. There i deleted the homey account. I then deleted again the google assistant app and connected the homey account on google home app. That worked for me.

https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Google+assistant 

So a short answer. Possibly somewhere on the google account the homey account is already active. 
  • For IOS there is no Google Assistant app........
  • There is. Maybe not in your region / App Store.