This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

How many apps do you have installed on Homey?

Hi All,

i was fixing some flows that seemed to mallfunction and i noticed this "notification" above the installed apps:

(translation: Because of the number of apps installed (16), Homey can react slow in some cases. )

I am wondering how many apps do you guys have installed that you cannot miss?  
For me i went from 24 to 16 apps that i actually use, i am wondering what the magic number of memory/apps is needed to trigger this message.

Comments

• glijieglijie Member
    30...no problems 
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited June 2017
    The magic number seems to be 15. I have 35 installed here.
  • 20, all working fine except Google Chromecast (multiple crashes). Why did they introduce this feature?
  • 35 I think, and indeed some keep on crashing (Hue mostly) 
    Can't understand why they have not implemented a watchdog solution and a flowcard to notify & restart
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    There already is a watchdog-solution though the candy-app...
  • casedacaseda Member
    That the apps "crash" is most likely the watchdog being active, it is closing apps to create more memory. 
    One of your apps is having a memory leak activating the watchdog, does it mean it kills the app that memory leaks?, definitely not always the case, more likely it is never the case since the app that leaks memory "looks" normal in behavior according to Linux.
  • @Emile
    When will Athom look at this? 15 apps is rather limiting especially since this number is shared between apps (nice to have) and drivers  (required)  

• casedacaseda Member
    edited December 2017
    @techniman
    There is no hard limit, it is just a message because it CAN happen if an app misbehaves, there are numeral people that have over 40 apps running like a sunshine

This is also what the message says "with the amount of apps, homey CAN respond slower" 

And homey getting more stable in case of memory usage skyrocketed with 1.5.x update because of the many updates to the kernel and nodejs core.
    Including some other hard to explain updates that also will improve the stability in time.
  • the thing is I have noticed the instability with 15+ apps; unresponsiveness, reboots e.g. the thing was useless..
  • I have 45 apps and no issues so maybe it's ome flows which consume a lot of resources? Like "every minute check if temp changed"?
  • I use 24 apps and can sometimes notice Homey struggling; voice will not be smooth, or actions will be processed slower.
    It depends on which apps you are running, I guess. Some apps use a lot of node_modules and will be heavier to run.
  • Perhaps 'kicking in an open door', but does it differ much when you have the programs installed but not switched on? 
  • I have 17 apps installed. I have created a HomeyScript script that runs each night at 02:00 and checks if swap memory exceeds 150mb (happens approx. ones a week) It then reboots Homey
  • tb1962 said:
    I have 17 apps installed. I have created a HomeyScript script that runs each night at 02:00 and checks if swap memory exceeds 150mb (happens approx. ones a week) It then reboots Homey
    Can we trade Homeys plz? Mine is starting at 150 and is above 250 in like 10 minutes. Am very happy when she does not exceeds 700 after a couple of days. 536 atm after 21 hours uptime.
    46 apps installed.
  • tb1962 said:
    I have 17 apps installed. I have created a HomeyScript script that runs each night at 02:00 and checks if swap memory exceeds 150mb (happens approx. ones a week) It then reboots Homey

Can you show this flow?
    I'm interested.
  • canedje said:
    tb1962 said:

Can you show this flow?
    I'm interested.
    @canedje
    The scripts is very simple. I have removed all unnecessary lines of code such as logging:

Homey.system.getMemoryStats().then(stats => {    if (stats.swap > 150000000) {        Homey.system.reboot();    }});

• canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017

Thanks.

I installed HomeyScript and did add your script.
    I saved and tested it in de editor. It returns "undefined", is that what I had to expect as answer?

Is there somewhere an overview of commands or a tutorial how to use scripts?

• canedje said:

Thanks.

I installed HomeyScript and did add your script.
    I saved and tested it in de editor. It returns "undefined", is that what I had to expect as answer?

Is there somewhere an overview of commands or a tutorial how to use scripts?

@canedje

your script returns 'undefined' because you did not put an return at the end of your script. The return value is only important if you want to execute a script in the when part of the flow. In that case, depending of the return value (true or false), the then or else part in the flow will be executed.

For your reboot script that is not important.

For more info see:
    https://developer.athom.com  especially the webapi tab is of interest
  • canedjecanedje Member
    edited December 2017

Thanks again

I do have 22 apps running, as far I can see, no problem.

Question: Is there known which apps are not handling memory right and creating memory leak?