This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Marvin-body shaped Homey stand

Hey Athom,
All I can think of when i see the Homey is Marvin, from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

A stand shaped like Marvins' body, to put a Homey on top, that would look awesome imho.
Is such a thing planned? Or is this a thing 'third-parties' are suppossed to provide?

Kind regards

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    edited April 2015
    Hahahahahaha, I love it. You're free to make a stand like that yourself, maybe we can add some depression ;)
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    hahaha i would definitely buy a marvin-homey stand!
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    http://www.stlfinder.com/?search=marvin To get the 3D modelers started....
  • We'll need to tweak the text-to-speech voice to match :-)
  • Wow, that would make it sooooo cool!!!
  • if anyone can make the template i can print this in high quality low cost.
    I have dual extruder Raise3D n2 that can print up to 30x30x30cm almost every 1.75mm material with 0.01mm layer resolution.

• How awesome is this?! I would love to have one myself haha :smile: 
  • Marvin said:
    This will all end in tears. 

• my offer stands. pla does not cost anything these days
     even the nice smooth variants or glass like. 

Printing at daytime will also cost nog energy because of my solar panels. 

I've got the stuff to print it. I'm just not one of those 3d sketchers 
  • mruiter said:
    my offer stands. pla does not cost anything these days

If no one has done this when I receive my Homey Ill give it a try. 
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    mruiter said:
    my offer stands. pla does not cost anything these days

If no one has done this when I receive my Homey Ill give it a try. 
    you're the boss

if you need it printed give me a honk.

have dual extruder so 2 colors can be used. or more if you split it's body parts in prints for let's say legs and arms
  • I can maybe have a look, I'm a 3D modeller. Thing is, I've never created anything suitable for 3D printing, mainly for realtime rendering.
    I'll look into it, but I can imagine you'd need to use a different program to create this than the program I use. Also not sure how to put the body parts together or hold the Homey into place (seems like it would be top-heavy).

BTW, BB-8 anyone? ;-)
  • JasperKortJasperKort Member
    edited January 2016
    Great, let's start hacking the Homey before we've even got them! I'll paint mine and make it roll around in the living room.

Just kidding, ofc.

edit: Oh, maybe Marvin could be crying and support its own head that way ;-)
  • I can maybe have a look, I'm a 3D modeller. Thing is, I've never created anything suitable for 3D printing, mainly for realtime rendering.
    I'll look into it, but I can imagine you'd need to use a different program to create this than the program I use. Also not sure how to put the body parts together or hold the Homey into place (seems like it would be top-heavy).

BTW, BB-8 anyone? ;-)
    If you can cook it up and save it as an stl file which is one of the 3d standard models so most 3d programs can it can be 3d printed

the most difficult thing will be to make the model so that the homey will fit in to it. it's 3 balls need to click in nicely to somehow lock it in the mold
  • bb-8 is cool but homey is already balllike so marvin changes it just that little bit more to make if fun.
  • mruiter said:

If you can cook it up and save it as an stl file which is one of the 3d standard models so most 3d programs can it can be 3d printed

the most difficult thing will be to make the model so that the homey will fit in to it. it's 3 balls need to click in nicely to somehow lock it in the mold
    Exactly. I use 3DS Max to work in, which is vertex-based (simply put). Which probably works, but not sure it's ideal. I assume software such as Inventor/SolidWorks/Catia are better suited for this, which work with surfaces/body-objects. It's like comparing a rasterized image (limited detail/resolution) to a vector image (infinite detail/resolution).
  • STL is the latter by the way.

Is someone from Athom willing to give me the exact measurements of the Homey and its three little feetses? Or maybe some side views so I know where the cables go in and stuff. Would be useful for anyone wanting to create their own stand.
    CAD data (like a SAT or STL file, anything that doesn't provide too much of your internal company info) of the outer shell with feet would be ideal, but that's quite a big ask.

@mruiter; I found people that are able to export to STL from 3DS Max, so it's probably (fingers crossed) ok. Is it possible on your end to choose how the 3D Printed object will be constructed? I.e. Print an entire shell, but fill it up with some sort of grating pattern. Rather than printing it as a solid object. Saves quite a bit of material I would think.
  • The filling is automaticly converted to a raster when you "slice" youre stl for processing for the 3d printer. Thats a printer software thing so that will be no problem
  • STL is the latter by the way.

Is someone from Athom willing to give me the exact measurements of the Homey and its three little feetses? Or maybe some side views so I know where the cables go in and stuff. Would be useful for anyone wanting to create their own stand.
    CAD data (like a SAT or STL file, anything that doesn't provide too much of your internal company info) of the outer shell with feet would be ideal, but that's quite a big ask.

@mruiter; I found people that are able to export to STL from 3DS Max, so it's probably (fingers crossed) ok. Is it possible on your end to choose how the 3D Printed object will be constructed? I.e. Print an entire shell, but fill it up with some sort of grating pattern. Rather than printing it as a solid object. Saves quite a bit of material I would think.
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/4413/#Comment_4413
    Maybe this can help you
  • Cheers! I hope it's exactly 12 cm. Since the view we're looking from (in that particular image) is actually diagonal when the Homey is standing on its feet, I sort of have to guesstimate the feet positions, for now.
  • If anyone gets this into the real thing (post a picture with homey installed) I'm ready to spend some to buy a copy.
  • I'm working on a 3D model in my spare time, using images of a model I found as reference. I need to start thinking about how to put the thing together. I suppose it can be printed as one object, but then there'd be no way to print multiple materials (for the rubber-like bits in between the bodypanels for example), I think?
    But it would be so much easier than having to create separate objects and somehow stick them together without it being too loose. Unless you want to use glue. I've got a couple of ideas but I'll have to talk to @mruiter about whether they might work or not ;-)

Anywho, have to finish the model first.

I also have to contact someone at Athom for front- and side view images of the homey (isometric) and the diameter of the feet.
  • More parts that you put toghether are Always nicer and multi color.
    Marvin has a big round head. Maybee the complete Homey could fit inside the head.
    With transparant printed eyes they will glow as homeys led ring lights up.

Would be o soo cool but o so hard to make if you don't know you're way arround 3d design software. 

• If you only see the led ring through the eyes, you limit the IR coverage. Be aware of that
  • I would also be very interested in purchacing a "Marvin" if you decide to sell. I would like to propose a hybrid solution. You build the Marvin without the head but with a solution to install homey as the head, it would be a pity to hide it
  • WimstradamusWimstradamus Member
    edited January 2016
    Actor Alan Rickman that played Marvin past away, 
  • Yeah, very sad news. Another great personality gone.
  • WOW!!! I feel The power of Marvin! We are talking about him a bit and now I feel depressed... Incredible...
    By the way, love the MarvinStandIdea