This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Suggestion: Acoustic confirmation that Homey is listening

MikeOneMikeOne Member
edited January 2016 in Archive
I think it would be great if Homey had the option to give a subtle acoustic signal once it is listening. At the moment, you can only find out of Homey understood your "Okay Homey" command, by looking at the led ring. 

I guess you *could* use a flow to have homey answer with "yes?" on every speech trigger, however, this might cause clashes with follow up voice output or with speech input. I might also be too slow (i.e. the "yes" response might be delayed slightly due to the underlying processing needed).

Comments

• Great suggestion! It sounds a lot more like a natural conversation to me as well.
    "Ok, Homey!"
    - "Yes?"
    "Can you turn of the lights?"
    - "Sure!"
  • I think a "yes?" could work - but it will probably have to be built-in. I'll do some checks with a "yes" flow response and see if it is fast enough.. If so, that would be the easy fix :-)
  • Or  just a "ding", to allow faster interaction. ("yes?" would take like 1-2s , while a simple "ding" would be almost instant)
  • Robin61 said:
    Or  just a "ding", to allow faster interaction. ("yes?" would take like 1-2s , while a simple "ding" would be almost instant)
    I Agree. I'll do a test on "yes" as a flow and see how fast that is. Else, a built-in 'ding' sound might be the best solution (optional though)
  • +1
  • MikeOne said:
    ...Else, a built-in 'ding' sound might be the best solution (optional though)
    A configurable "ding" or sentence would be the best :smile: 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    I personally don't like it, but I'll add a flow card 'When Homey starts listening' so you can choose for yourself :)
  • How do you know when you can speak to homey? Or can you say "OK homey, turn off the lights?" 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    The LED ring pulses with your voice :)
  • Oké thanks
  • I certainly do not want  more things that do "ding" LED response is great voice is ok, configurable means everybody happy
  • Emile said:
    The LED ring pulses with your voice :)
    How long do you have to wait on average before Homey starts listening? Or can you just continue right after the 'ok homey'?
  • Of course, it won't work with a normal microphone flow (yes?) - as this will wait until you actually gave a command AFTER okay homey :-)

@Fire69 - you can almost do it without delay

@Jacob - I can see what you are saying, but fact remains that Homey doesn't trigger 100% of the times and it might not always be in visual range. The beauty about voice commands is that you can give them while doing something else. So confirming a voice command with an audible queue instead of the current visual one actually makes more sense to me.
  • It would be really cool if homey would be intelligent enough to know when to acknowledge it's listening.

If I say 'Ok Homey, what time is it' I'd expect homey to reply with the answer. If I say 'Ok Homey' and then pause I'd like to hear confirmation that homey is in 'listening mode'.
    It would be great if the confirmation would be configurable, a 'ding' sound, or spoken text for example.

I agree with @michael that having homey answer will make it more natural.
This discussion has been closed.