This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Long delay between the detected motion and the switch

honeyhoney Member
edited January 2017 in Questions & Help
I have installed a white LED tape in the Kitchen. I have Z-wave Neo motion sensors (I am very happy with it, good range, sensitivity and reliability). All of them are connected to LightwaveRF relays and dimmers. They do turn on immediately.
However in the kitchen the LED tape is controlled by the Fibaro RGBW (I am using the just the W [white] channel). The issue I got that with this combination there is a 3-4 sec delay between the motion and the light turning on. That is far from normal for me.
Has anyone experienced this issue?

Just to clarify:
The transformer is constantly on.
In the app I can see the motion alert instantly, no delay there
When I turn on/off the RGBW via the app it reacts imediatelly 
I know that the on/off has slight dimming curve but that is not in the above 3-4 sec delay
There is no delay set in the flow

Comments

• Do you also have to change 2 times a color by a flow before it gets the right color ?
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2017
    No. It is a white LED tape and I use the White channel only. So I use only the on/off cards.

(* The time between card has no influence on this issue)
  • I guess this is 'normal' for Homey. I have the same issue.
    I have a Fibaro motion sensor and a fibaro switch (both z-wave plus)
    When I walk into the room, it takes about 3 seconds before the light is switched on (and after the sensor indicates it detected movement).
  • Don't think so.  Fibaro Motion and Hue light here switch on 'instantly'.  Delay is max 1sec.
  • Yes.
    Z-wave » 433MHz instant
    Z-wave » Wifi/Zigbee instant
    Z-wave » Z-wave 3-4 sec delay. That does not make much sense
  • Did a quick test.
    When I turn on a Fibaro z-wave relay another is turned on also.

Turns on instantly.
  • over here this flow, combination of KaKu and Z-Wave

delay about 3-4 seconds
  • undergroundunderground Member
    edited January 2017
    So, also here we can conclude: for some there is no issue and for others there is an issue.
    The story of Homey and very difficult for Athom I guess.

I can only conclude that I and other users experience a delay of about 3 seconds. For some situations (like mine, walking into a room where light is needed) you want a very short delay. 3 seconds is a long time to walk into the dark.

edit:
    The only difference I see that in our case we use a condition (and column). I use e.g. the lux of the sensor (Better Logic variable)
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited January 2017
    a little yes::-)
    Z-wave » 433MHz instant
    Z-wave » Wifi/Zigbee instant
    Z-wave » Z-wave 0-1 sec delay. -->( most of the time no delay )

never noticed really, Till now because I made a test flow.
    But then again all Z-wave here triggers at the same time if i have more than one in a flow and KAKU turns my lights on/off one at the time . So in the case with switching multiple lights, z-wave wins:-)
  • You could test by adding for example a push message and see if that arrives earlier.
    That way you can see if it's the IF or the THAN column that has a delay.
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2017
    There is no delay between the IF and THAN column. If I have this:

Than the LighwaveRF turns on immediately but the Fibaro still has a 4 sec lag.

4 sec is very long. I have installed many different home and building automation systems and never experienced more than 1 sec delay.
    I find it too long because there is an awkwardly positioned built-in unit in the kitchen and it is a safety hazard for my son. (This can be a safety issue for others as well like that: Stairs/Elderly people, etc). Also often I spend just 5-7 sec in the kitchen. I just grab something and I am off.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited January 2017
    I experience a similar delay.

Ground floor (where Homey is too):
    In my hallway a Aeotec Sensor switches a LIFX light. That is within a second
    In my kitchen a Aeotec Sensor switches a Fibaro FSS-222 relay. That is within around 1 second

First Floor
    In my bathroom a Aeotec Sensor switches a Fibaro FSS-222 relay. That takes 2 to 3 seconds
    In my bedroom a Aeotec Sensor switches a LIFX light. That is within a second, but less responsive as similar setup on ground floor

My conclusion: distance to Homey is relavant too
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2017
    The Kitchen is on the same floor as Homey. In fact the distance between my Homey and the RGBW controller is 3.5 meters. Also as mentioned earlier if I turn it on/off via the app it reacts instantly. But your scenario is also interesting/weird. 
  • undergroundunderground Member
    edited January 2017
    My situation is that the sensor, actuator and Homey are in the same room only a few meters apart. (and still about 3 seconds delay)
  • @Honey : the other networks you created were straight zwave to zwave I guess? This is still possible by setting the correct associations i presume (directly from sensor to lamp, avoiding Homey)?
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited January 2017
    @BasVanDenBosch with the current app store version of the Neo app this is not fully implemented yet (some settings are missing or still have errors in it)...

I'm working (testing as I type) on an updated app/driver that has the capability and settings (and descriptions) to switch on (and delayed off) another lamp based on illumination level (yes working in the updated driver) and motion trigger...

Expect to be released to App store this week (depending on approval speed of Athom).
  • The other thing that the illumination dependent `night mode` does not work on the NEO sensor. That is why I have the time window in Homey.
  • honey said:
    The other thing that the illumination dependent `night mode` does not work on the NEO sensor. That is why I have the time window in Homey.
    Recognised..
    but this is linked to this issue that in the current App version, the illumination reporting is also not working... 
  • I have illumination report from the NEO just the night mode does not work (yet).
  • honey said:
    I have illumination report from the NEO just the night mode does not work (yet).
    Which is understandable, because the "night mode" (rephrased in the update to "Illumination switch ON level (lux)") should be activated by another setting "illumination switch on function" (default off) which was not implemented yet.

Just learned that my update is already pushed towards the app store: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.neo 
    Earlier than I expected... I was planning to test the "switch on function" this evening...
  • If you want wave devices to trigger each other, it is better to use association groups. The benefit is that also without the controller active, the devices can trigger each other. Which is of good use when you want to trigger alarms (fire/smoke/etc).
    edited January 2017
    Just learned that my update is already pushed towards the app store: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.neo 
    Earlier than I expected... I was planning to test the "switch on function" this evening...
    Confirmed that the "switch on function" is properly working with ON/OFF commands (resp. 255 and 0); tested with Neo powerplug and Greenwave powernode 1.

It appears not to be working with the Fibaro dimmer-2; not with the ON/OFF command, not with the dimming command.
    I will look into this issue further...
  • My best guess it that the delay is being caused by the packets traveling along the mesh network.
    Most likely 2 or more hops. I see delays in also going to 3 - 4 second s when devices are in the far ends of mesh.
    Also the sometimes fail.

Guess Athom can still gain a lot with the optimisationof the z-wave packages the chip sends.

• It appears not to be working with the Fibaro dimmer-2; not with the ON/OFF command, not with the dimming command.
    I will look into this issue further...
    Most likely this is caused due to the fact that the Neo sensor is added unsecure (due to lack of AES128) while the dimmer-2 is added secure, and thus only accepts commands provided from other secure devices (sending unsecure can be enabled, receiving not). Only option to circumvent this issue is to either add the dimmer-2 unsecured to the Z-wave network or have Homey in between.

Both switches I tried are either non-Z-wave plus (powernode) or added unsecure (Neo power-plug again due to lack of AES128)

Does someone have a non Z-wave plus dimmer to test the dimming commands of the illumination switch on function?
  • So what ur saying here is: My Fibaro non+ sensor cannot send commands to my Fibaro dimmer2 which is +?
  • All my devices are + and i have the same delay issue, so that is not the case........
  • dmontanje said:
    If you want wave devices to trigger each other, it is better to use association groups. The benefit is that also without the controller active, the devices can trigger each other. Which is of good use when you want to trigger alarms (fire/smoke/etc).
    Is this possible without a Zwave-specific controller (Vera/Fibaro/etc)?
    edited January 2017
    So what ur saying here is: My Fibaro non+ sensor cannot send commands to my Fibaro dimmer2 which is +?
    The manual of the dimmer-2 (z-wave +) implies that it will only accept commands (through group 1) send through a secure connection, if added secure. 
    I'm not able to test it right now, since the Fibaro app does not have all required settings implemented for the motion sensor enabling this function (unlike the Neo app). I will test this weekend.
    Gerjan said:
    All my devices are + and i have the same delay issue, so that is not the case........
    It is not related to having + or not. The delays are originating from a slower communication from sensor to controller to switch or dimmer compared to the option to have the device triggered directly from the sensor to the switch
    dmontanje said:
    If you want wave devices to trigger each other, it is better to use association groups. The benefit is that also without the controller active, the devices can trigger each other. Which is of good use when you want to trigger alarms (fire/smoke/etc).
    Is this possible without a Zwave-specific controller (Vera/Fibaro/etc)?
    Yes and no.
    Yes, Z-wave devices are able to communicate directly to one another (e.g. switch on lamps if fire alarm or motion sensor is triggered). And based on the tests I did, responding instantly.
    No, you need a Z-wave controller to implement the right settings and associations (link the Z-wave ID of a switch or dimmer to the right association groups).
    Additional note: currently, not all required settings have been implemented into all apps (like the fibaro app to fully support this).
    As mentioned above, I will add and test these settings to the Fibaro motion sensor and if successfull, I will make a pull request to implement it into the Fibaro app
  • update?
  • I have the same issue....lamp is actually turning on when I already entered the house. Any update on this?