This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Creating dummy devices

I've tried out quite some open source solutions, Vera (2) as well, some of them I like, but many lack the feature I need to create fully functioning dummy devices, independent of the real implementation of the device, something I want to hide behind MQTT. For example, I want to have dimmers, switches, thermostats etc, fully as if they are directly managed by Homey, but all sending and receiving updates over MQTT. It should be possible to both send command from Homey over MQTT (switch on the light, set setpoint to 21C), but also get updates of the devices over MQTT (light has been switched on, dimmer has been set to 28%), that get reflected in Homey.

Is this possible? Can I create dummy devices, and via javascript send the commands over MQTT, and the other way around, get all the updates back into Homey over MQTT? This also requires a full MQTT client implementation, which in theory should be fine, and Homey should support the existing Node.js libraties, hopefully including the callback functions.

Would be great to know if this works, for now only my old Vera comes close, but programming it really is a drag...

Averell

Comments

This discussion has been closed.