This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Which Camera works with Homey 1.5?

vaderagvaderag Member
edited September 2017 in Questions & Help
I want a security camera to work with Homey - I want to be able to view and record video when motion detected by the camera (or even linked to a PIR might be fine)

I tried searching Camera on talkswithhomey, but all i get is the Ring Doorbell and non-camera items...

Anyone suggest anything?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi @vaderag right now it is not possible to control camera's with your Homey. There is a workaround using the Synology Surveillance Station. We are currently working on supporting camera's in the future!
  • Oh, that's a shame. So any camera would need it's own App etc? I guess that means you can't use the camera to do anything else however.

Could you provide more details on the workaround?
  • How it is exactly going to work with all the different camera's is not clear yet. There is an official Synology Surveillance Station forum discussion where you can find background information: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1205/synology-surveillance-station-app/p1
  • For now the Synology-Surveillance-App doesn't work:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/57629/#Comment_57629
    can save you reading 10 pages of forumposts :)
  • Lol - thanks @bvdbos

• Well, get a good IP Cam. Me using some Foscams. Let a pic show on ur tv with the Chromecast app. Let a pic be sent to ur phone with the imagegrabber app and the telegram app. No need for Synology's to use camera's on Homey.
  • Well, get a good IP Cam. Me using some Foscams. Let a pic show on ur tv with the Chromecast app. Let a pic be sent to ur phone with the imagegrabber app and the telegram app. No need for Synology's to use camera's on Homey.
    Thanks. Seem quite pricey tho!

I'd like to be able to get video on my phone based on movement - can they do that?
  • Don't think they can do that directly no.
  • I own a few Nest cam's ( with subscriptions ), with recording on movement. Although these are not verry cheap and I still get to much false warnings on my phone, they work great.
    Would like to have these camera's also visible on the HomeyDash dashboard. That would be great. :) 
    Right now, there is a Nest app available in the Homey app store, butt this only working for the Nest thermostat and Nest Protect.  Hope that Athom comes up with a solution for the Nest cam in future, because running security camera's is a must for any smart house.
  • I love the look of the Netatmo Welcome - the facial recognition seems great and reduce the false positives after time. I'm not sure how it will play with Homey tho and I think I'd need to know that before I sump out for anything
  • vaderag said:
    Well, get a good IP Cam. Me using some Foscams. Let a pic show on ur tv with the Chromecast app. Let a pic be sent to ur phone with the imagegrabber app and the telegram app. No need for Synology's to use camera's on Homey.

I'd like to be able to get video on my phone based on movement - can they do that?
    What's pricey?  They're already on the lower end of what's available.
    In my opinion, if you go any cheaper, build- and image quality will be pretty bad.
    Can you explaine exactly how you do this. must i do this with the flow manager.
    I have installed telegram and have a chromecast.
    Thanks.
  • Fire69 said:
    vaderag said:
    Well, get a good IP Cam. Me using some Foscams. Let a pic show on ur tv with the Chromecast app. Let a pic be sent to ur phone with the imagegrabber app and the telegram app. No need for Synology's to use camera's on Homey.

What's pricey?  They're already on the lower end of what's available.
    In my opinion, if you go any cheaper, build- and image quality will be pretty bad.
    Well the Netatmo I mentioned above seems to get good reviews and is half the price
    There are a ton of IP cams coming out of china for <£10 - they may be rubbish, but the point is that there should be something in the middle. £70 seems a reasonable price point for a webcam with a few more bells and whistles
  • thxultra said:

Sure.
    In the first flow i cast a pic to my tv when doorbell is pushed. I also check if the tv is on by checking the power of the wall plug from the tv. That prevents the tv from starting up when it's off. The delivery guy will be in his car and driving while the tv is still starting.
    The url for my Foscam looks like this:

http://IPADRESS:PORT/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=Username&pwd=Password

Other cams or brands may have different url! So check what url u need and put it in the Chromecast card "Cast a webpage".
    U can also put an extra card in the right corner to let the tv go back to what he was doin. I use the "back" button for that after 30 seconds. Dunno if u have an app for ur tv tho.

For the pic to ur phone with telegram i use the Imagegrabber app and the Telegram app.
    First we make a flow to grab the image. On the right card u use the same url u used in the above flow.

After that we make the flow to actualy send it to ur phone. Grab the image tag from the left card and put it in the right card.

• Super, i'm going to try this.
    thanks.
  • Anytime.
  • vaderag said:
    I love the look of the Netatmo Welcome - the facial recognition seems great and reduce the false positives after time. I'm not sure how it will play with Homey tho and I think I'd need to know that before I sump out for anything
    Netatmo did not have an open API, last time I checked. I own a Welcome and even though you can work around it to be able to see if it triggers and such, it is a lot of work. 

Besides that, I'm not so fully satisfied with the Welcome. It recognizes me well if I stand still for a second in front of the camera, but often enough I walk right past it and it doesn't notice me.

It is cool to open the app on your smartphone though to be able to see and listen what happens.
  • jorden said:
    vaderag said:
    I love the look of the Netatmo Welcome - the facial recognition seems great and reduce the false positives after time. I'm not sure how it will play with Homey tho and I think I'd need to know that before I sump out for anything
    Netatmo did not have an open API, last time I checked. I own a Welcome and even though you can work around it to be able to see if it triggers and such, it is a lot of work. 

Besides that, I'm not so fully satisfied with the Welcome. It recognizes me well if I stand still for a second in front of the camera, but often enough I walk right past it and it doesn't notice me.

It is cool to open the app on your smartphone though to be able to see and listen what happens.
    Ah, that's a shame - all the reviews I read say it works seamlessly...
    I think there are plans for it to work with the next iteration - i def read it somewhere? But if it doesnt work well, then it's probably not worth it

• Ignore.. 

• I just want to re open this discussion. There have been a spate of burglaries in my street so want to beef up my system

I have a couple of Xiaomi Dafang IP cameras which work okay, but I have to manually turn on motion detection when I leave the house (as I don't want recordings of my family being transmitted to China, or anywhere really!)

If I could link that to a flow then it would be a perfect solution, but it seems this is not possible with this camera.

So are there any (cheap) cameras that I can somehow send a command to turn on and off capture using Homey? 
    I don't need tight integration as I don't mind going to the camera app or better my own cloud storage to get the video, but I don't want constant filming when I'm home unless the alarm is partially set
  • VleegeVleege Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't know if you like to experiment, have some hardware to put it on and most importantly, have some time?
    If so, I can recommend Shinobi CCTV. I don't expect Homey to have the features you ask within an acceptable time limit.
    Plus given Homeys hardware and my personal experience on it's stability I think dedicated hardware is more preferably.

With this software you can use every camera you'd like through the ability to return different stream types (like MJPEG for Homeydash)

You can find more info in this thread https://forum.athom.com/discussion/4540/http-shinobi-controls
  • vaderag said:
    I just want to re open this discussion. There have been a spate of burglaries in my street so want to beef up my system

I have a couple of Xiaomi Dafang IP cameras which work okay, but I have to manually turn on motion detection when I leave the house (as I don't want recordings of my family being transmitted to China, or anywhere really!)

If I could link that to a flow then it would be a perfect solution, but it seems this is not possible with this camera.

So are there any (cheap) cameras that I can somehow send a command to turn on and off capture using Homey? 
    I don't need tight integration as I don't mind going to the camera app or better my own cloud storage to get the video, but I don't want constant filming when I'm home unless the alarm is partially set
    You could use an obsolete Android device for this.

https://apps.athom.com/app/android.ipwebcam
  • Phuturist said:
    vaderag said:
    I just want to re open this discussion. There have been a spate of burglaries in my street so want to beef up my system

You could use an obsolete Android device for this.

https://apps.athom.com/app/android.ipwebcam
    I had seen that, but somehow don't think the wife is going to approve of a Kindle being strapped to the ceiling
  • Anyone used Blink Cameras? Seem like they work with homey tho downside only record 60s at a time...
  • Just jump to the blink app topic here in the forum @vaderag ; .. they work great btw
  • thxultra said:

Sure.
    In the first flow i cast a pic to my tv when doorbell is pushed. I also check if the tv is on by checking the power of the wall plug from the tv. That prevents the tv from starting up when it's off. The delivery guy will be in his car and driving while the tv is still starting.
    The url for my Foscam looks like this:

http://IPADRESS:PORT/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=Username&pwd=Password

Other cams or brands may have different url! So check what url u need and put it in the Chromecast card "Cast a webpage".
    U can also put an extra card in the right corner to let the tv go back to what he was doin. I use the "back" button for that after 30 seconds. Dunno if u have an app for ur tv tho.

For the pic to ur phone with telegram i use the Imagegrabber app and the Telegram app.
    First we make a flow to grab the image. On the right card u use the same url u used in the above flow.

After that we make the flow to actualy send it to ur phone. Grab the image tag from the left card and put it in the right card.

Thank you for this! I have a couple of Foscams as well and hopefully Homey will have this impemented soon.
  • ^ spam