This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Outdoor Alarm Siren

vaderagvaderag Member
edited February 2018 in Questions & Help
I've just ordered a Homey and want to use it as my home security system...

What I'm struggling to find is an external siren that doesnt cost the earth - I was thinking I might be able to use a standard siren, somehow mod the wiring so that it it always on (as in Always sounding) wire it in to a Zwave plug or switch and then use the Homey to toggle the switch and sound the alarm 

Has anyone done this? Anyone know how to alter the wires? Seems backup batteries etc are set to go off if power is removed so might not be as simple as I hope

Anyone got any other suggestions?
I thought about maybe sticking an internal siren in an external dummy box too, but again, not sure whether that's really the best plan!

Comments

• i'm using a z-wave siren (Neo Coolcam SIren)

doesn't cost much;
    https://www.robbshop.nl/alarm-sirene-z-wave-plus-neo-coolcam

and does give off some noise :)
    but is for indoors only
  • They're internal only tho? Or have you used them outside anyway?

Ideally I want something external so that neighbours can here an acts as a more meaningful deterrent...
  • inside yes, im using a plug and a siren for out side
  • djesko said:
    inside yes, im using a plug and a siren for out side
    Can you give me an example?

I'd like to do this but can't find any sirens that dont require wiring into a traditional system
  • be aware that an outdoor sirene is not always allowed by law, for most cities you require a permit
  • ingmar said:
    be aware that an outdoor sirene is not always allowed by law, for most cities you require a permit
    Absolutely not the case here in the UK. There are very few alarm systems that don't have external siren. They have to stop after 20mins (I think) by law tho
  • im using a 12 v siren to a plug..
  • djesko said:
    im using a 12 v siren to a plug..
    Did you have to alter the wires? If not, can you tell me which you have?
    Thanks
  • @djesko
     just wanted to follow up on this - i'm a bit in the dark at the moment so any help you can provide so I can order some stuff do to the relevant changes would be appreciated!
  • Just wanted to give this a bump - came across the following which looks like it's a kit to do essentially what I want to do.

https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-exterior-alarm-kit/

It's not in stock, but if I can work out the wiring then doing something myself seems possible... 
    Any help appreciated!
  • looks like the only wiring you need to figure out is connecting it to the mains...
    As far as i can tell it is a siren 12v dc connected by adapter on 230v with a z-wave plug in between..
    the z-wave plug makes it 'smart'  :)

but i might be wrong..
    also.. if that isn't the case, maybe what i just wrote could also be a solution  ;)
  • NeefRoel said:
    looks like the only wiring you need to figure out is connecting it to the mains...
    As far as i can tell it is a siren 12v dc connected by adapter on 230v with a z-wave plug in between..
    the z-wave plug makes it 'smart'  :)

but i might be wrong..
    also.. if that isn't the case, maybe what i just wrote could also be a solution  ;)
    Yeah, i think that is it. The only issue is that many (most) of the sirens I see have some kind of tamper / backup battery which turns ON the alarm when power is CUT, which would make switching with a zwave plug challenging!

That's why I'm wondering if some kind of weird wiring is required...
  • vinnyvinny Member
    edited September 2017
    There are sirens available without back-up battery/tamper switch. They are quite common actually,  such as this:

www.keysecurity.com.tw

Or you could consider smaller size siren if cost is an issue.
  • Did you find anything vaderag?

I just brought two ismartalarm's for my shed and detached office as they have both recently been stolen from.

I would much prefer a solution through homey, especially as i already have fibaro detectors in every room and practically everything in my house controlled by homey already, just having 1-2 sounders would make the perfect system..

ismart is internal only, no backup battery, and certainly not loud enough to be worthwhile, using ifttt for setting to arm/disarm with away/home and time settings as a temporary solution.

Homey could set ismart to sound its sirens via IFTTT if required, but as the sirens so quiet I've got homey talking when its sounded which will alert the dogs which in turn will alert me.

Its a shame I couldn't have my Sonos do some type of alarm noise as all the speakers I have at full whack whether internal or not would be seriously alerting! Plus i have external speakers rigged to a connect amp that would act like an external alarm sounder.
  • Did you find anything vaderag?

I just brought two ismartalarm's for my shed and detached office as they have both recently been stolen from.

I would much prefer a solution through homey, especially as i already have fibaro detectors in every room and practically everything in my house controlled by homey already, just having 1-2 sounders would make the perfect system..

ismart is internal only, no backup battery, and certainly not loud enough to be worthwhile, using ifttt for setting to arm/disarm with away/home and time settings as a temporary solution.

Homey could set ismart to sound its sirens via IFTTT if required, but as the sirens so quiet I've got homey talking when its sounded which will alert the dogs which in turn will alert me.

Its a shame I couldn't have my Sonos do some type of alarm noise as all the speakers I have at full whack whether internal or not would be seriously alerting! Plus i have external speakers rigged to a connect amp that would act like an external alarm sounder.
    I haven't. I've bought a siren to try knock up a DIY project but haven't had time
    At the moment I'm using a neo coolcam siren indoor and Homey itself using soundboard
  • edited February 2018
    I found the following in a SmartThings forum and I am going to try it:

• I found the following in a SmartThings forum and I going to try it:

And it works!

You can also use a 12V converter in combi with a Fibaro Switch (or other brand), to make use the battery (for when the power is off) and the tamper switch.
  • Can you outline exactly what you did (and if you managed to find the alarm for that price mentioned?!!)

I see how to use it with power directly but would be great to use with tablet and battery in case of power loss!
  • edited February 2018
    I found the Honeywell AG6 on Amazon for £28.25:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-AG6-WB-ActiveGuard-External/dp/B003XR9G84/

Fibaro FGS-222  Dual Relay Switch £50.99:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibaro-FGS-222-Dual-Relay-Switch/dp/B00WH0S8F0/

I had a 220V - 12V converter and junction box laying around in my shed

So in total it is £79.24 for an outdoor Z-Wave Siren.

I have built it according to the schema below and it is working:

With Q1 you can control the sounder and with Q2 you can controle the strobe.

Don't forget to move the jumper from "TEST" to "BATT".

• MODBREAK: Changed the titel to Outdoor, since I think that is what you mean with external.

Not meant for outdoor,  but a good siren on batteries:  vision security siren

• ik heb 2 van deze sirenes gekocht (type 2). Ik dacht ff aa de bel flow koppelen en hij doet het. Jammerrrr zal wel weer een studie worden. Moet ik deze als bel met een flow aansuren of zo want ook daarmee lukt het niet en verder vind ik niets op het forum hierover
  • fke1964 said:
    ik heb 2 van deze sirenes gekocht (type 2). Ik dacht ff aa de bel flow koppelen en hij doet het. Jammerrrr zal wel weer een studie worden. Moet ik deze als bel met een flow aansuren of zo want ook daarmee lukt het niet en verder vind ik niets op het forum hierover
    o did it in dutch again. i have 2 of these sirenes at home now. I thought it would be easy connect and the bel would work. To bad will be another study again i think. Do i have to use a flow to let this work as a bel? can't find anything on the forum 
  • rickprickp Member
    fke1964 said:
    fke1964 said:
    ik heb 2 van deze sirenes gekocht (type 2). Ik dacht ff aa de bel flow koppelen en hij doet het. Jammerrrr zal wel weer een studie worden. Moet ik deze als bel met een flow aansuren of zo want ook daarmee lukt het niet en verder vind ik niets op het forum hierover
    o did it in dutch again. i have 2 of these sirenes at home now. I thought it would be easy connect and the bel would work. To bad will be another study again i think. Do i have to use a flow to let this work as a bel? can't find anything on the forum 
    1 also have 2 vision sirens wich work like a charm. What are you trying to do, what have you done?
  • I've now got a siren wired up to a 12v power supply that works when perpo is sent to it. It's glued into an external professional siren box.

The only reason it isn't up yet is I want to find a uninterruptible power supply that can connect to it (not too hard) but therefore the switch needs to be in the 12v wire, and I haven't found a cheap enough solution for this yet...
  • rickprickp Member
    vaderag said:
    I've now got a siren wired up to a 12v power supply that works when perpo is sent to it. It's glued into an external professional siren box.

The only reason it isn't up yet is I want to find a uninterruptible power supply that can connect to it (not too hard) but therefore the switch needs to be in the 12v wire, and I haven't found a cheap enough solution for this yet...
    Any mini motorcycle battery with the cheapest charger (only to prevent over charging)?
  • rickp said:
    fke1964 said:
    fke1964 said:
    1 also have 2 vision sirens wich work like a charm. What are you trying to do, what have you done?
    i have a doorbel with cam in it doorsafe 6600. This has an extra outlet curentless wich i use to trigger the klik aan klik uit AWMT-003. also homey gives a comment that there is someone at the door. At the same time i want the neo ccolcam sirene to make an doorbel noise. I can't figure out how to let that last part happen. Can you help me with that?