This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

WIRED Ethernet network support

2»

Comments

• Pompompom, stil waiting on this feature since 2014
    Waiting on what? 
    the answers of Emile: ( in my words...)
    • Nope....
    • We're currently researching  ..... Just don't count on it just yet!
    • Not Necessary for streaming as this goes direct from source to TV or Speaker...
    • Let's just say that we're developing in a fairly crowded area, so we're sure to make it work reliable... 
    and final:
    • Just get a chinese adapter that works without drivers on a linux machine, it will most likely work on Homey.

Average delivery for cheap Chinese gadgets has never been more than a couple of weeks.... 
    What adapters did you already test? 
  • Pompompom, stil waiting on this feature since 2014 
    Average delivery for cheap Chinese gadgets has never been more than a couple of weeks.... 
    What adapters did you already test? 
    Well, if it was as simple as get a Chinese adapter that works then someone on the forum here would already have fixt it (or Athom would already have published a working (maybe with a disclosure) solution). 

But it ain't that simple if there still isn't a working solution is it :)

I just don't want to spend 40$ on trying 20 different, cheap, Chinese adapters.
  • Interesting,  
    I want to know! I orderd some parts and will  fire up the Soldering station.
    Who more is interested and wants an wired Ethernet adapter?
    And what are you willing to pay for a working set?
  • Interesting,  
    I want to know! I orderd some parts and will  fire up the Soldering station.
    Who more is interested and wants an wired Ethernet adapter?
    And what are you willing to pay for a working set?
    I would pay for a working set
  • JPeJPe Member
    Emile said:
    We're currently researching if we can make the USB port so that through a special cable you can use an external ethernet adapter. Just don't count on it just yet!
    Emile mentioned 2 links to devices, did someone do tests with these devices?
  • A stable wifi is essential to any smart home.

I live in a crowded appartement block. I had an expensive Sitecom router, but it did do so well. I returned it and tried an Asus router. Since then, all my wifi problems have been solved. A decent computer store will have no problems if you try a router for a day or 2 and return it with a clean factory reset. It is a bit of a gamble to see which brand/version works for you. Just don't hold back.

I use a cat5 cable from the utility closet to the living room, so my router has direct life of sight to Homey. If you have multiple floors, you can look at the new mesh routers which have become available in the last year.
  • Hi all, 
    I have ordered some cables, adapters etc. and have been in contact with Athom Developers, 
    It is still on their list but didn't get much attention as there is not much request and priority for this and a lot of other features have more priority for many users (and thus for Athom).

Probably a setting to use the Ethernet USB adapter is also still disabled in the Linux kernel, 
    I will let you know when I can test something and if it is still disabled let you know if it is possible to get them to spend some time on their Hacky Friday to enable that setting. 
  • It toke some time as DX didn't send the package correctly addressed. 

It doesn't work at the moment, so asked Athom for some love to this Feature.
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1838
  • JPe said:
    Emile said:
    We're currently researching if we can make the USB port so that through a special cable you can use an external ethernet adapter. Just don't count on it just yet!
    Emile mentioned 2 links to devices, did someone do tests with these devices?
    I have tested the OTG Host Cable w/ External USB Power Port and three different USB Ethernet adapters. 
    It doesn't work at the moment.