This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[App] LIFX

redrickaredricka Member
edited November 2017 in Apps
Can anyone share some insight or information, homey used to be able to control my lifx lights, now there's nothing at all.. any advice?
Tagged:

Comments

• Homey and lifx  work. 
  • They were working... But now stopped after the all update?
  • Working fine here.. Have you tried re pairing your bulbs to homey? Also, can you control them with the mobile app? Might be a connectivity issue of the actual bulbs
  • I lost them too, somewhere in the last week. I think in my case a PTP resolved the problem.
  • Working fine here
  • I can control the bulbs via the phone and also outside of the network too. Just homey can't control it 

• Hi guys, are all types of bulbs from lifx working with Homey? By example the LIFX White 800? 
  • MoekMoek Member
    edited May 2017
    Sort off. Homey can't poll the state of a bulb/strip (yet) so if you use the official lifx app, homey doesn't know if it's on or off. But homey will send the off command even though he thinks it's off. Setting brightness/color in the homey ui works for my first gen colored bulbs and as an overall color for the lifx z. At the moment the color zones of a strip aren't controlable seperately. But if you choose your lifx z scene through the app and just turn them on and off with homey the scene setting is maintained. I don't have any white only bulbs so can't comment on that but my guess is it'll work. 
  • JesperJesper Member
    So if I understand it correctly the LIFX lamp status wil not be synced with my Homey when I use Google Home to switch them on?
  • MoekMoek Member
    Jesper said:
    So if I understand it correctly the LIFX lamp status wil not be synced with my Homey when I use Google Home to switch them on?
    Correct
  • JesperJesper Member
    Moek said:
    Jesper said:
    Correct
    Hmmm, that's a big disadvantage when compared with the philips hue. Is this something which could be fixed in a future update? It will be more difficult for the LIFX as with the philips hue because there is no bridge which could be polled.
  • MoekMoek Member
    Yes it is. Unfortunately it's not high on the priority list I'm afraid. To bad because I think lifx outshines hue. Especially the lifx z strips are great. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2017
    I will start this week to try and get the lifx + and lifx z strips working with Homey. The owner of the node module that is used is looking for a fix so state of the lights can be read by Homey (-> https://github.com/MariusRumpf/node-lifx/issues/50 )
  • MoekMoek Member
    I will start this week to try and get the lifx + and lifx z strips working with Homey. The owner of the node module that is used is looking for a fix so state of the lights can be read by Homey (-> https://github.com/MariusRumpf/node-lifx/issues/50 )
    Awsome, thanks @lubbertkramer !
    If you need testing, let me know. 
  • Moek said:

The LIFX + can already be added as lifx bulb, only IR will not work. For LIFX Z to switch the multizone colors (so strip can have multiple colors by zone) the node module needs to be changed to support this, issue is already opened for it (https://github.com/MariusRumpf/node-lifx/issues/41) so will start by adding the LIFX Z as a strip with only one color possible at start. Will let you know in this topic when i have something to test before i add it to the app of Athom 
  • MoekMoek Member
    Moek said:

The LIFX + can already be added as lifx bulb, only IR will not work. For LIFX Z to switch the multizone colors (so strip can have multiple colors by zone) the node module needs to be changed to support this, issue is already opened for it (https://github.com/MariusRumpf/node-lifx/issues/41) so will start by adding the LIFX Z as a strip with only one color possible at start. Will let you know in this topic when i have something to test before i add it to the app of Athom 
    I can't help with the lifx+ unfortunatly but got 12 meters of lifx z, ready for some homey magic <span>:smile:</span>
    Good luck! 
  • Any update about having Homey reading the status of the LIFX lights? Can't wait to fully integrate my LIFX lights with Homey.
  • Jesper said:
    Any update about having Homey reading the status of the LIFX lights? Can't wait to fully integrate my LIFX lights with Homey.
    No news, for now 'm getting to know the new SDK 2. In september we have a new dev meetup in Utrecht and this app will be used to transform with several people :) 
  • What do people use for switching on the LIFX bulbs with a physical switch? My girlfriend often uses the physical switch to turn them on and off but this ends up having my bulbs offline because when she turns them off the bulbs are not connected to the power anymore.
  • Jesper said:
    What do people use for switching on the LIFX bulbs with a physical switch? My girlfriend often uses the physical switch to turn them on and off but this ends up having my bulbs offline because when she turns them off the bulbs are not connected to the power anymore.
    Use wandschakelaars or like this Neo i personal use, this way the power is not cut off but you give a signal through Homey that you want to turn off the lighs  :) 
  • Polling seems to work pretty good with the new beta version of the app. It takes only a few seconds for the status of the light to be synced with Homey. I used both the LIFX android app and Google Home to turn the LIFX lights I have on/off and change the color and the brightness.

Syncing on/off status: Works perfect
    Syncing brightness: Works perfect
    Syncing color: Works perfect
    Syncing saturation: Works perfect
    Syncing white tone (the different "whites" you can choose): Works ok. The white tones are not correctly displayed in the Homey app (warm white is displayed correctly for a few seconds and then Homey decides that the color should be some kind of blue white) but I think that has more to do with the way Athom choose to display the white tones. I think this is something which can be improved in the future.

In short polling works perfect :)

Very good work @RobinBolscher

Now we need full support of the LIFX led strip ;)

• Fade

Been trying to get my LiFX bulbs to fade in based on a motion sensor. It does work when using IFTTT, but it has a delay of around 10 seconds. Any way to send a fade in command directly from Homey? 
  • bvdbos said:
    Thanks. I had worked out something similar using the relative brightness (see below). Whilest this indeed works, the speed however cannot be controlled. What I mean is that whithin the LiFX app you can execute a dim in 5, 10, 30, ... seconds, which gives a nice, steady increment of light. The flow below (or the one mentioned above) has a duration of half a second or so. When I set the delay the light increase as 'walking steps' if that makes sense.

Any ideas? 

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited November 2017
    Emile has asked on Slack to test the new LIFX beta app (can be found at the app store. It supports more devices but is missing some functions like zones at the moment.

Supported devices:

• LIFX GU10
    • LIFX A60
    • LIFX Mini Colour
    • LIFX+ A60
    • LIFX+ BR30
    • LIFX Z 2m LED Kit
    • LIFX 100mm Downlight
    • LIFX Mini Colour Day & Dusk
    • LIFX Mini White
    • LIFX Tile
    • LIFX Beam
  • MoekMoek Member
    edited November 2017
    Great the app is getting (some more) attention!
    Adding issues as we speak.
    So far the polling is looking good (especially the color temperature, which always jumped to cold white).
    But the lifx z strips do need some more attention (see github).
    Also I'd prefer using the local lan api instead off the cloud api because off the lag it creates.
    But as I said, great it's being worked on again :) 
  • Great to see some activity. 
    However, I cannot link my account to the app. I just get a blank page on the oauth part. So I cannot do anything with my lights anymore. 

Also I seriously dislike the fact that it is now done through the internet API. Reasons:
    It is dependent on a third party. I bought Homey do that most things work without internet/cloud.
    It creates lag, the lan protocol is much faster and feels more natural. And last: I don't feel LIFX needs to know when I turn off my lights every night, simply because I do not trust them.

Can you please also keep the lan protocol app available as well? I will live with the drawbacks gladly.

Untill then, any help getting it to work with the new app would be appreciated!
  • Mecallie said:
    Great to see some activity. 
    However, I cannot link my account to the app. I just get a blank page on the oauth part. So I cannot do anything with my lights anymore. 

Also I seriously dislike the fact that it is now done through the internet API. Reasons:
    It is dependent on a third party. I bought Homey do that most things work without internet/cloud.
    It creates lag, the lan protocol is much faster and feels more natural. And last: I don't feel LIFX needs to know when I turn off my lights every night, simply because I do not trust them.

Can you please also keep the lan protocol app available as well? I will live with the drawbacks gladly.

Untill then, any help getting it to work with the new app would be appreciated!
    Are you using the desktop app or chrome?
    I think I read a while back that pop ups weren’t working that well using the desktop app. 
    Just tried chrome and that’s working. 

• I was using the beta Android app.
  • So what happens if you use chrome for authenticating?
    Once the lights are added to homey controlling them with the beta app (ios in my case) works as it should.