This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Lay-out. Fibaro - Homey

to make things more clear for myself. I like the screens of the Fibaro home centre. 
Very visual and easy to see 
will it be able with the Homey to get such a screens of your home, with all the things to measure and switch in one screen? 
Or you I have to buy Fibaro next to it, to genarate such screens?
screen example 

Comments

• What a strange question. If you like this buy a Fibaro. Just wait and see what Homey brings.
  • Perhaps be more open about this, and don't keep it so secret what the layout will be!
  • People ask questions because?? The communication is so...misty about Homey.

• +1 for the question
    I don't think it's a strange question. "Just wait" is too easy if you feel involved, if you feel passion for Homey, if you are curious and if you want Athom to hear the voice of the community. :-)
  • The question is "will the homey screen look like Fibaro or do have to buy a Fibaro to generate the display because I like it" 
    Ofcourse it will look different since it is an other product. To put an other domotica controller next to the Homey to generate nice display's is at least peculiar. It will look like athom has designed it. Since it is an open product in time somebody will develop an other UI I am sure. To me the question is like asking an artist to commission a painting but wit the request to resemble e.g. a van Gogh
  • AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited December 2015
    For me it looks like you are nitpicking. The question for me seemed obvious, "such a screen, with the details of that room next to it". I think it didn't mean "is it the same as Fibaro", then ofcourse you'd be right. :-) But maybe I understood the opening post wrong. Then I stand corrected, thank you for that. I'd be curious about they ways zones and devices are organized in more detail. I haven't got a fully clear image yet. That's why I posted +1  :smile: 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Currently, it looks like this:

Creating an overview-page is something I'd love to do, and will possibly be released somewhere in the future together with a tablet-optimized display :-)
  • This is very nice already! On my Almond, I just have a long list of devices, it's horrible... 
  • Okay. I understand and. I won't expect the same screens like fibaro. 
     Now
     i have seen the screenof Homey.  I have to. Conclude that there are differences in layout!!!  
    So.... A new questio appear:
    what will happen when you have a Fibaro home 2 system and make a connction with
    Homey??
    what will i see?
    what screen?
    is Fibaro to activate by homey?
    by speak?
    or all the possibilities of Homey?

• You can add the fibaro controller as a Z-Wave controller device to Homey but those devices have no use within Homey. Why would you need a fibaro when you have a Homey :p
  • For the screen layout and overview
  • Is power metering already possible with the wall plug? 
  • Then your devices won't work very well because most devices only allow 1 association for certain groups.

Yes it is.
  • Seems like there are two parallel conversations here. The question if homey will have a Dash board where you can overview the status of few elements: on/of status, outdoor temp, thermostat target temp, IP camera images, power consumption etc. Something what you can have on your tablet a put it on (or recess into) the wall:

The screen posted by Emile is not a front end. That is for configuration, different story.
    Sadly the mobile app is just frame app loading the `cards` from the web-server. Which I understand why they have to go this way now, because it is much faster to `develop` and don`t need to worry about implementing it and maintaining it on two different platforms (although there are other ways to do that). However this approach has a drawback, they cant (or at least quite difficult) make proper widgets, plugin connections and the above dashboards. There can be few solutions for this 1., redesign the app (I guess the guys has other worries now) 2., Make a front end for the homey 3., Write an own php/html/... page (if we can access to all elements)
    Or maybe combining the last two: users could insert xml templates (like on blogger or wordpress) to create customised frontend.
  • honey said:
    Seems like there are two parallel conversations here. The question if homey will have a Dash board where you can overview the status of few elements: on/of status, outdoor temp, thermostat target temp, IP camera images, power consumption etc. Something what you can have on your tablet a put it on (or recess into) the wall:

The screen posted by Emile is not a front end. That is for configuration, different story.
    Sadly the mobile app is just frame app loading the `cards` from the web-server. Which I understand why they have to go this way now, because it is much faster to `develop` and don`t need to worry about implementing it and maintaining it on two different platforms (although there are other ways to do that). However this approach has a drawback, they cant (or at least quite difficult) make proper widgets, plugin connections and the above dashboards. There can be few solutions for this 1., redesign the app (I guess the guys has other worries now) 2., Make a front end for the homey 3., Write an own php/html/... page (if we can access to all elements)
    Or maybe combining the last two: users could insert xml templates (like on blogger or wordpress) to create customised frontend.
    You don't seem to understand how to app works. Yes, a part is webview, for example the cards, but everything else is implemented natively. I *can* add widgets, because the app *is* native, except for the cards view. I can use every API native Android apps can because the app is native. Same story with iOS.

The screenshot Emile posted is partly for configuration, but the cards used in mobile come back in this in interface for devices that have cards.

I understand it is interesting to try and figure out how the apps and interfaces work, but you're drawing incorrect conclusions. Just wait and see ;) I think you'll find it to be more than satisfying :)
  • Very strange how you tumble over each other in telling confusing things about screens, frontents etc. Let's keep it clear that I don't sell Homey, I'am a buyer! So,..your suggestion that I don't understand...... Is very strange. You want to sell a product, people trust you and sent you there money and you telling constantly......."you have to wait for, the system, the screens, the app. And no one seems to know what they have bought exactly!! 
    Set your team in the same direction
    have one line in the materials you want to show us, make us enthousiastic!
    and the most important issue: we are buyers, and make and keep us fan!! That's the strongest marketing you can get. 
    So be open how everything lookslike and how it works! Even it is the actual situation. 
    Perhaps tell also what you have in mind for the nearby future!
  • Who's talking to who now? Is Delta Honey or am I just mixed up
  • fuzzybearfuzzybear Member
    edited December 2015
    Something I miss with the most controllers is an adaptable front end. If an open GUI is made available so that users can make their own skins this would be great and very attractive for a lot of people. 
  • If not in the beginning, as far as I understood, all commands will be available via the API so if your not satisfied with the (first version of the) dashboard, you should be able to build it yourself. I think this will not be possible at the release since not all commands are inmediatly available at start but they will be eventually as far as I understood from earlier postings.
    now let us be surprised what they have build so far and if your not satisfied you can start to build your own.
    just my 2 cents
  • In my personal opinion and purely in my own personal capacity as an IT guy that has some knowledge of various home automation systems, I feel superice is right in that the way they have chosen to go is the proper way to go, and that there will be plenty of options to 'hook into' the API and build things. From what information I have gathered on how the app is built - thanks to superice's comments - I am confident what delta wants can be done. But I will reserve my final judgement based on what I will find when I have the Homey and can play with the API, and explore what options there really are.

As blusser said, you should be able to build your own interface. I feel this is essential if the Homey interface does not meet expectations. Then at the very least, you can build your own interface, or perhaps a crowd-sourced interface can be downloaded and installed like a 'skin', in a way. Ideally however there would be a set of 'building blocks' that you can drag and drop onto a CSS framework, and adjust using CSS code and JS code to do whatever action you ask of it, already built into the Homey system itself by default. Since I haven't seen the Homey in action yet I am uncertain if this is already the case. But the wisest course of action is to wait and then dive into it.

I feel that delta's question is very valid; will it be possible to for example create an overview per room that shows the various controllable items and temperature and humidity readouts, in exactly the way you want to see them? Fibaro is actually fairly limited in this; you have to use their layout and if you don't like it, tough luck. I would love to see a more open system in Homey where you can for example load your own icons and pictures and set your own fonts and colours and put items in the places where you want to see them. 

I feel that Jacob is being a little too eager to kill the topic, which seems unfair to delta. But I also feel that delta is a tiny bit vague in his method of asking questions and that makes it difficult to appease him. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, delta, but we're all being extremely patient here. I know you want the answers now, but give the Athom guys, and us, some time, to figure things out and hopefully to answer your question fully.

I also feel like the moral of this story is; yes, Homey could provide more information on how things work, but they are very busy and it is all still very fluid at this point. Anything could change at any time. Saying one thing now, and having changed it later, will upset people. This goes for documentation as well - it needs to settle a bit first before you can write decent documentation. You can never please everyone at once. I do think we should expect that we will soon be able to create something similar to what the Fibaro HC2 can do, at the very least. I also think we should wait until the people that have received their first Homeys upload some videos of how their Homey works and what they are able to do with it. Some tough questions will then be answered, and with feedback from all of us we can give important pointers to Athom to ensure that the product is as good as it can be.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    All the (non-mobile) interfaces we've showed are we pages, and every single feature makes use of the API. So if dedicated enough, one could completely create their own front-end. 
  • Thanks Emile, I think that helps to clarify the point that definitely it will be possible for a driven person to create his/her own vision of a front-end interface. I think this may be the way I'm going to go, but that choice still depends very much on what the default interface will be like. So, back to waiting, for me, then.  :)

• Rick, sincere apology for the misinterpretation and thank you for the clarification. Not intended to judge the app just tried to figurate out our options. Looking forward to use it with homey.
    If everything will accessible via API that will give lot of opportunities. Great toy for us will crack on with this as soon as possible. Nevertheless the non techy future customers might wish to have a built in frontend.

This discussion has been closed.