This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Smart Power Outlet

Hi Guys,

Just found this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dobots/crownstone thought I'd share it here cause I imagine the crowd here would like it ;)

Comments

• Indeed interesting, but with low energy bluetooth... will that reach another floor/otherside of the home? Homey is not always next to a crownstone... love to hear. might order these as well...

• I asked the range question and got 2 answers within 10 minutes (impressive!)

@Eric Jan. Currently we are also using the Crownstones as iBeacons. It definitely does cross floors. As people we are actually not realizing how close the next floor is compared to how close the next room is. Reaching another floor is definitely not a problem. Also note that there is a mesh between the Crownstones, so you will only need one Crownstone in the proximity of for example the Homey, and you will be able to control them all from there.

We are definitely gonna integrate with the Homey when it comes in. The range of BLE is around 70 meters. However, you also have to realize that the Crownstones form a mesh, so it means that only needs to be in proximity to your homey, the others can be further away.

maybe it can help others here (just ordered some)

• I would go for extending my existing z-wave mesh. Why add an extra mesh network?

• ErikVanDongen said:
    I would go for extending my existing z-wave mesh. Why add an extra mesh network?

Well I would agree that would be ideal - but as far as i know there arent wall outlets with these functionalities + z-wave.
    Unless you go for the 'external' solution and then (in my opinion) the current dimmable external wall plugs are just to bulky... this is sleek...

• Have you seen the Fibaro? Can't really call those bulky :-) Expensive yes, but bulky? No.

The in-wall modules look better, but the ones I have now (LivingWhites) get moved around quite regularly. That's impossible when they're in the wall :-)

• edited September 2015

I know the Fibaro plugin - but that doesnt dim....right?

so you mean this one? http://www.robbshop.nl/fibaro-tussenstekker that doesnt dim (i believe)

• You're right!
    Damn, was going to order some, good thing I haven't already :-)

• Hi! There are quite some differences with competing products. Yes, we can dim and we can switch and measure currents. But in my opinion the fun resides in the indoor localization and device recognition parts. :-)

Needless to say, we're happy to integrate with Homey (as soon as it arrives).

• If you would have used z-wave, I would have pledged immediately, but with the BLE, I'll wait it out...

• I understand. It is our vision that the technology that exists on the smartphones is in the end the gonna be the winner. That's why we couldn't choose zwave, zigbee, or knx wireless, or any of the 433/868 MHz protocols. I think it's a safe bet, but I understand that if people already invested in these, it is hard to consider others.

The nice things of the hubs that are coming our way from all big players is that this won't be a problem. Homey is of course a prime example. And it will have fierce competition from the OnHub, Echos, etc. that Google, Apple, Amazon will throw on the market. I think by respecting the smartphone as a hub (through BLE) we have suddenly a very affordable solution.

It moreover also functions as an iBeacon, so we have plenty B2B opportunities afterwards as well. Schiphol installed around 2000 beacons, but battery-based! I think something that is fed from the grid is much more logical. If we would bring out a hub in the end, it might be one that uses LoRa that comes with interesting possibilities in the health care sector where people might carry BLE bracelets, but don't necessarily have smartphones or an internet connection.

• I don't like the fact that you need your phone to connect to these modules. How can you run schedules, or check things when you're away from home?
    You would (as you say yourself) still need a hub for that, so the technology in your phone doesn't matter anymore than, since you would probably use wifi to connect to this hub.

I like the iBeacons functionality, you could use this even at home so Homey knows your location when you use the app so you don't have to say for example what lights need to be turned on. :)

• edited September 2015

I backed them but I also think that devices like Homey has the future. Just because there are already to much different protocols on the market. And like Fire69 mentioned, my smartphone doesn't do schedules. And it again drains a lot of battery capacity from my phone... So I'll go with the combination of Homey and CrownStones.

B.t.w. The most easy part is that I can kick their butt when they are screwing things up since we both are in Rotterdam :P evil

• +1 backed *****

• Just watched the presentation movie for the campaign. At 1:34, the device detection is 'demonstrated'.
    You see a tv, and it's detected as an LG 32". Isn't that a bit exaggerated? :-P

• PeterGroeneweg said:
    I backed them but I also think that devices like Homey has the future. Just because there are already to much different protocols on the market. And like Fire69 mentioned, my smartphone doesn't do schedules. And it again drains a lot of battery capacity from my phone... So I'll go with the combination of Homey and CrownStones.

B.t.w. The most easy part is that I can kick their butt when they are screwing things up since we both are in Rotterdam :P evil

Definitely! I have backed the Homey as well (although it doesn't state so with this account). I think to use a smartphone as a hub is already really great (obviously). But the Homey or another hub will definitely arrive in our homes. But it's tough competition. Is it gonna be Google/Apple, etc, or one of the cable companies, or in the end a new player like Homey? I hope for the latter, but we're too chicken to compete ourselves for this device. :-)

• Fire69 said:
    Just watched the presentation movie for the campaign. At 1:34, the device detection is 'demonstrated'.
    You see a tv, and it's detected as an LG 32". Isn't that a bit exaggerated? :-P

Ha, sure. :-) But don't underestimate us!

• +1 backed. I see great potential in this. :)

• So a while has passed - I dont think the crownstones are delivered yet right? on the site they say sept 2016 so soon :) 
    Also they seem to plan to integrate with Homey. 

• The kickstarter page says:

Funding Canceled

Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on October 27, 2015.

• JaxcJaxc Member
    The kickstarter page says:

Funding Canceled

Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on October 27, 2015.

check here... http://crownstone.rocks/

@annevanrossum any news on crownstone intregration for homey

• Any news on crownstone intergration?

This could be a wonderfull way to do location based BLE based  stufff...

I have ordered 6, hoping to receive them soon.

• DaviedDavied Member
    edited March 2017
    Finally, the crownstones are in! Ready to start experimenting with them but also curious about the possibilities of collaboration with Homey. Any news about integration or Homey apps? Any ideas otherwise about how they might work together?
  • Congratulations with the new products you have received.

As for an app.... please join the row after the guys that are waiting for a Yeelight app... Athom seems to have other things on their minds.