This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Alexa

Invoking flows via Alexa

umdobsonumdobson Member
edited April 2018 in Questions & Help
I have linked my Alexa account to homey (strange it is not in the home automation skills). 
How can you use Alexa to invoke a homey flow?
Tagged:

Comments

• SuperPapaSuperPapa Member
    edited March 2017
    Alexa, tell homey.....

for example. "Alexa, tell homey to turn off the lights in the kitchen"
  • umdobsonumdobson Member
    edited March 2017
    I understand how to turn off lights etc per room, but more interested in invoking flows that deal with multiple different devices like the flow watch movie

turning on power socket
    Invoke harmony activity
    Set hue scene
    Lower screen
    Turn off other non hue lights

to me the big advantage of homey is that it can control devices from multiple protocols in a single timed flow. Alexa cannot do that neither can IFTTT.

• umdobson said:
    I understand how to turn off lights etc per room, but more interested in invoking flows that deal with multiple different devices like the flow watch movie

turning on power socket
    Invoke harmony activity
    Set hue scene
    Lower screen

to me the big advantage of homey is that it can control devices from multiple protocols in a single timed flow. Alexa cannot do that neither can IFTTT.

If Harmony would works stable <span>:disappointed:</span>
  • You can do this the same as you would do if you speak to Homey?

So something like this:

• Jschuetz said:
    umdobson said:

turning on power socket
    Invoke harmony activity
    Set hue scene
    Lower screen

If Harmony would works stable <span>:disappointed:</span>
    Yup many of the homey apps are unstable. Getting to the stage to reboot homey daily

• You can do this the same as you would do if you speak to Homey?

So something like this:

Many thanks ..

Will try this but it would be a lot easier and more natural have the interface to be able to handle 
    "Alexa tell homey to do 'flow name'
    this is similar to the IFTTT interface 
  • umdobson said:

You can do this the same as you would do if you speak to Homey?

So something like this:

Many thanks ..

Will try this but it would be a lot easier and more natural have the interface to be able to handle 
    "Alexa tell homey to do 'flow name'
    this is similar to the IFTTT interface 
    If you have Homey language set to English and installed the Homey skill for Alexa it should work the same as if you are talking to Homey directly: Alexa, ask Homey to turn on the TV:

https://www.athom.com/nl/homey/speech/

• umdobsonumdobson Member
    edited March 2017
    I think rather than having to parse the input text, or let homey itself interpret the text and miss guess me, a method of directly invoking a homey flow is preferable. Less chance of errors and probably much faster. Certainly easier to understand for none programmers.

the IFTTT interface supports this and is probably one of the more reliable homey app interfaces