This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Mertik Maxitrol Fireplace control

I assume this Fireplace RF remote handset control can be replaced also?

http://www.mertikmaxitrol.com/download/literature/G6RH-OI-EN-07.2006-Dip_switches.pdf

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    As long as they don't use any encryption, it should work just fine :)
  • What to do, how can I learn Homey to control the fireplace?
  • What to do, how can I learn Homey to control the fireplace?
    Hmm you could learn the buttons to Homey to run a predefined state. Or do you want to say "set flame to <number>", "set temp to <number>"
  • It's a 433.92 MHz control, I thought I read learning buttons is not possible which such a device?
  • It's a 433.92 MHz control, I thought I read learning buttons is not possible which such a device?

Who said that ? you can add devices manually so just push the buttons when homey is in IR "learning mode" to copy the signal and use the flows to repeat the signals based on some trigger (voice or something else)
  • I'm not completely into this material, but I don't think 433.92 Mhz is IR.
  • 433 and iR are completely different,  I previously asked if it was possible for a 433 learning mode and it was not so I made my own app.
  • I totally over read that it was 433 :blush: Can Homey copy signals of 433 ? Or only send the signal ?
  • most 433 devices can be "learned" from the kaku-devices -> code checker afaik...
  • I have a faber fireplace but it uses the same remote i think
    mertik maxitrol

will there be a app for that? and wil it work with faber also  ?
  • I too have this fireplace (remote) Any one working on this one?
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited December 2016
    Reviving this thread...

I have a similar remote and would like to give control of the fire place to Homey..

Is any body actively working on creating an app the Mertik Maxitrol fireplace control?

I noticed the following app under development (also DRU is using the same remote): GitHub DRU app but I don't know for sure if this is working for this type of remote (tried to install it on SW 1.0.2, but I am not able to add a device... (looks like this is a different version, using modbus TCP protocol and not 433 MHz). I will contact the developer to see what the status is.

In the meantime, I will try to record the RAW signals of my remote via the method as described by @baskiers ;
  • RemcoHanninkRemcoHannink Member
    edited December 2016
    Hello,

I own a Dru fireplace. This one has a 868Mhz remote, which connects to the valves directly. The valve unit however also came with an communication module (Honeywell RF) The valve unit talks Modbus TCP with the communication module.

The Homey app you found, can also talk modbus TCP to communication module which is connected to internet.

So your system is basically different from the modern ones. I guess only change is to pickup the RF signals (433Mhz or 868Mhz).

Gr. Remco

• Hello,

I own a Dru fireplace. This one has a 868Mhz remote, which connects to the valves directly. The valve unit however also came with an communication module (Honeywell RF) The valve unit talks Modbus TCP with the communication module.

The Homey app you found, can also talk modbus TCP to communication module which is connected to internet.

So your system is basically different from the modern ones. I guess only change is to pickup the RF signals (433Mhz or 868Mhz).

Gr. Remco

Hi Remco,

we have just had our DRU fireplace installed today, and I'm curious to hear how the DRU app works that you describe (we also chose the WIFI module (Honeywell)). Does it work in such way that a noob like me can install and use it?

Dave
  • @djvanas Dave,

The Dru app can be installed via the Atom command line  and is easy to use, create a new device, choose Dru and it finds the fireplace automatically. For the atom commanline you need to install Node JS on your computer and then install the command line tools:
    npm install -g athom-cli
    athom login
    now copy the code from github to your computer
    athom project --install
    Now you can control it from the Homey app:

Only problem is that the app crashes after a few hours. I want to fix this, but I am not a great programmer, so I hope I succeed. The app was originally build by an Atom intern, but he is not supporting the code anymore. I asked the people of Atom about support, but they told me it would be difficult.

Gr. Remco 

• What's the error with which it crashes? Does memory-usage or processor-usage gradually increase?
  • @TedTolboom For the Mertik 433 control, have a look here: https://github.com/nlrb/com.mertik.maxitrol

Be aware that there is still an issue open related to sending 433 signals: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1076 So best to only turn it up full or down full.
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited December 2016
    @RamonBaas Great! Thanx.
    I installed the app. But it doen't seem to get recognised, during adding the device. Even after a PTP / fresh restart...

Fire place valve is responding to the signal.. Any ideas?
  • same here! No response :(
  • @RamonBaas is there a way to help you further develop this app? By e.g. recording of RAW signals?
  • @TedTolboom Recognizing the signal during pairing can indeed be difficult. Luckily this is only needed once. Sometimes you need to hold e.g. the down key pressed for a minute or more. There also appears to be a newer version of the protocol with a different (longer) signal. That signal is not supported (yet).
  • Even with holding down the down key for more than a minute, my remote is not recognised...
    It is a fireplace out of 2012... so could be the newer version... How can I check this?
  • Do you have DIP switches in the remote to set the channel?
  • The remote I have is this one:

http://www.mertikmaxitrol.com/img/video/video_SYMAX.jpg

No DIP switches. My fireplace is from 2016. Would be great when it will be working with the app! 
  • RamonBaas Will my remote be supported? 
  • @Robbertos I only have one fireplace at home and it has a different remote :p. So I don't know what signal your remote sends unfortunately. You'll either need to capture the signal or provide me with the remote and I can capture the signal for you.
  • Hi, I was wondering if anybody got his fireplace now working with Homey. I would really love it if I could turn on/off my fireplace with Homey.
  • Well, it works for me...

• Ok, then I'm going to try to also install the app  https://github.com/nlrb/com.mertik.maxitrol and see if it also works for me. I have a Dru fireplace with remote Mertik Maxitrol G6R-H4T5-DN = 433 Mhz. So should work. But first need to figure out how to get on the Athom commandline to install it :-)
  • Managed to install the app but it doesn't respond to my Mertik Maxitrol G6R-H4T5-DN remote :-( any suggestions?