This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Keeping burglars out

One of my reasons to go for homey, is to help me keeping burglars out when I am away.

• open/close curtains & blinds;
  • turn lights on and off;
  • [put your other suggestions here];

The "standard" things. However, another idea I have is to "simulate the TV is on". (something like faketv.com).

Is the brightness of the led ring high enough (in its maximum setting) to simulate a tv being on, even when some other lights are turned on? I would like to create an app for this. However, if the ledring is not bright enough there is no point doing so...

Comments

• Isn't Homey a reason for burglars to visit you?
    BTW - I always have all blinds open, so it will be noticed if somebody is in at times normal people us to sleep.

• Well, it should off course only be simulating TV in the evening hours, and a simple flow should be able to turn it on and off... (just like the lights). Thought that would be stating the obvious...

• Why don't you just turn your TV on?

• MartijnHarte said:
    Why don't you just turn your TV on?

I award you, quote of the week.

• You guys obviously seem to care less for the environment... with a TV using 50 to 400W pending the size, model and age, plus a receiver of 30W, you are burning energy whilst Homey is already sitting there... (using a lot less energy)...

• cjvs said:
    You guys obviously seem to care less for the environment... with a TV using 50 to 400W pending the size, model and age, plus a receiver of 30W, you are burning energy whilst Homey is already sitting there... (using a lot less energy)...

Then why not get a regular anti-theft alarm system that works better than simulating a TV and uses less energy?

• Hahaha 'Hollandse nuchterheid' in effect!

• ArjanArjan Member
    edited December 2015

KoenMartens said:

cjvs said:
    You guys obviously seem to care less for the environment... with a TV using 50 to 400W pending the size, model and age, plus a receiver of 30W, you are burning energy whilst Homey is already sitting there... (using a lot less energy)...

Then why not get a regular anti-theft alarm system that works better than simulating a TV and uses less energy?

Because a regular anti-theft alarm doesn't give the somebody is at home feeling. Even though we have an alarm system at home, with an external call centre who calls if the alarm goes off, they still wanted to get in because it was obvious that nobody was home. Since than, I always leave lights, TV's etc on with time clocks when i'm gone for +1 days.

• I suggest a "vacation mode" that can be configured or recording the switchactions for a few days and replay those during "vacation mode" ;-)

• +1 for "vacation mode"

• FrankMFrankM Member
    edited December 2015

I'm gonna be using this cool little device once it ships:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cocoon-complete-home-security/x/10569482#/

If it all works as expected the advantage will be that you don't need to fill your house with sensors and you don't need to set the alarm when you leave... That is what kept us from getting any sort of burglar alarm...

• Well this faketv thing actually looks pretty good at a decent price. Now, All I have to do is make my own and make homey turn it on when I'm gone!
    +1

• Serious burglars can recognise these TV 'emulators' a mile away. Avoid if you're serious about home security.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

I'd prefer a flow that when a burglar is detected inside, it locks the door, turns the lights to red, start a smoke machine and makes Homey say 'Calling the police, please keep still and don't touch anything. You're on camera.' ;p

• I'd like homey to open a kennel with a rottweiller in it that only gets fed once a week, when a burglar is detected ;)

• I want the smokemachine :)

• Well, smoke may be good, but red light won't, cause red light makes it easy to see in the dark. A white strobe light will definatly disorientate better!

• If you have burglars in your house you are to late. The effort should be for them to pass your property since they consider the risk to high. So light, movement, curtains and good locks

• Please link to the zwave smoke machine?

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited December 2015
  • -hap- ;-)

This discussion has been closed.