This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Official

[APP] DoorBird for Homey

PhuturistPhuturist Member
edited May 2018 in Apps

DoorBird for Homey

App Store Page: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.doorbird

Latest version - 2018-04-26 -- v2.2.1

• FIX: fixed a bug which would cause issues with notifications for DoorBirds paired on v2.2.0 

Description

DoorBirdUse Homey together with the DoorBird IP Video Door Station. Let the DoorBird notify Homey when the doorbell is rang or when motion is detected or use Homey to control the DoorBird and trigger the IR light or send a snapshot through email.

Supported Cards

• [TRIGGER] Doorbell rang
  • [TRIGGER] Motion detected
  • [TRIGGER] Door opened
  • [ACTION] Send snapshot through email
  • [ACTION] Turn on IR light
  • [ACTION] Open door through relay

Instructions

Adding the DoorBird as device

After installation of the Homey app you need to add your DoorBird(s) as device in Homey. This requires you to enter the local IP address of the DoorBird and the credentials of a valid user account. This account can be created through the DoorBird smartphone app. Best is to use a seperate account for this. The IP address of the DoorBird can be found in your router, best is to have the router assign a static IP address for your DoorBird. During pairing of the device you will be able to test the connection and will see a snapshot if the connection has been tested succesfully.

Setting up notifications

For the doorbell alarm, motion alarm, doorbell rang, motion detected and door open trigger flow cards to work in Homey the DoorBird needs to be configured to send HTTP notifications based on these events to Homey. The DoorBird company recently changed they way this works (as of DoorBird firmware 0110). If you have added your DoorBird to Homey before 2018-02-20 follow these steps first.

• Open the DoorBird smartphone app, go to the administration area and select the user you have used to add your DoorBird to Homey
  • Go the the permissions of this user and grant this user API-operator permissions
  • Go back and select the HTTP calls option under the Favorites section, delete all legacy HTTP calls containing your Homey IP address

After these steps or when added a DoorBird for the first time follow these steps (make sure you have added your DoorBird as device within Homey using a user with API-operator permissions):

• Go to the DoorBird general settings within Homey under the settings section.
  • Click the button to add the HTTP notication URL's and wait for the succesfull confirmation
  • If you want to use the door open / relay trigger card also click the button to schedule the relay trigger event
  • Open the DoorBird smartphone app, go to the administration area and select the '3D motion sensor settings' option
  • Set the pause between alarm option to your preference (during the period no new events will be send to Homey)
  • After that select the the 'Schedule for actions' option
  • On this page select 'HTTP calls' from the top left icon pull down and select 'Homey Motion Trigger' from the top middle menu and click op the top left menu to fill the schedule (or configure it to your preference, this determines when the DoorBird will send motion events to Homey)
  • Go back and select the option 'Schedule for doorbell'
  • On this page select 'HTTP calls' from the top left icon pull down and select 'Homey Doorbell Trigger' from the top middle menu and click op the top left menu to fill the schedule (or configure it to your preference, this determines when the DoorBird will send doorbell events to Homey)
  • Test your settings, everything should be setup now to receive events from your DoorBird within Homey

Setting up email

To be able to send snapshots through email you will need to configure an email account which sends out the email. In the general settings of the DoorBird app there is a section to configure your email account. Please pay attention to the extra information when adding a Gmail account, this requires you to use a specific app password which needs to be setup within your Google account.

Tagged:

Comments

• Cool! Don't have a doorbird yet but it is the one I was looking for to buy. First need to move to a new house in august. Nice to see that when I do buy it there is an app for it. 
  • Same for me, the house is going to be renovated and after that i buy and can place the Doorbird with this app, can't wait :)
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited February 2017
    found it at https://github.com/jghaanstra/com.doorbird    :)    well done!!
  • JPe said:
    found it at https://github.com/jghaanstra/com.doorbird    :)    well done!!
    Whoops, forgot to add the link. Let me know if you find anything.
  • It works here! A little bit delay but it works!
    Is it posible to send the video stream to chromecast with a future update?
  • jovink said:
    It works here! A little bit delay but it works!
    Is it posible to send the video stream to chromecast with a future update?
    In theory it's possible and the API supports it but it could very well be beyond my skills. In theory it could even be possible to talk through the intercom using Homey. Once I have some more time I'l look into adding advanced features.
  • Yeah maybe let homey say there's nobody home! 

To use doorbird with chromecast I need a URL with username and password in it. Don't know if it's possible 
  • @jovink @Phuturist

Do you have experience with the doorbird connected to a synology NAS system ?
    Some question's i have:

I've found some information that 720p in the Synology system is not supported ?  (link here)
    Can you live view from the synology surveillance station ?
    Can you use the motion detection from synology surveillance station?
    How did your installation go with connecting to your old door "ring/bel"

Any other experience you can share  o:) i would like to buy one if it meets al my requirements.
  • @Jwoudenberg
    I haven't tried it yet but it should work. 
    Have you seen this 
    http://www.doorbird.com/downloads/connect_synology.pdf
    Installation went well. I have changed the original wires from my old doorbel. I now use a utp cable. 

The he doorbird is very big compared with the ring pro.
    and the video is dark. 
    Yesterday I had some problems to connect the doorbird on my phone on 4g 
    And I have missed some notifications from the motion sensor. 
    but the the fact that they have a open API makes my happy
  • @jovink @Phuturist

Do you have experience with the doorbird connected to a synology NAS system ?
    Some question's i have:

I've found some information that 720p in the Synology system is not supported ?  (link here)
    Can you live view from the synology surveillance station ?
    Can you use the motion detection from synology surveillance station?
    How did your installation go with connecting to your old door "ring/bel"

Any other experience you can share  o:) i would like to buy one if it meets al my requirements.
    I have the DoorBird hooked up with Surveillance Station on my Synology NAS. It was one of the main reasons for me to go for the DoorBird instead of Ring Pro (and that it has an open API). It works with 720p, but you need to use the RTSP stream which return a MPEG4 H.264 live video stream instead of the multipart JPEG live video stream. I can let you know how to set this up if needed.

When hooked up with surveillance station it acts as a regular IP camera, so yes, motion detection events will also work.

I deceided to connect my DoorBird through Power over Ethernet (PoE). I was lucky my old doorbell was already connected through a UTP cable which saved me the time of having to replace the cable from the fusecloset to the doorbell. So I used the supplied materials to connect the DoorBird to the cable which only needs 4 wires connected (and some handy connectors are supplied). I connected 2 of the 4 remaining wires of the UTP cable to the regular doorbelll output of the DoorBird. Inside my fusecloset I split the UTP cable where the 4 wires of the DoorBird are connected to a PoE adapter which is hooked to power and my router and the other 2 wires I have connected to my exisiting doorbell transformator (beltrafo). So I have it power, have a cabled network connection and when somebody rings the doorbell my regular chime still rings as well. It took me some time to figure this out as I'm not very technical but in the end it only took about 45 minutes to get this setup.

About the dark picture, you can adjust the brightness through the app. The app itelf is pretty good. As Jovink mentioned, sunday and monday there where issues with the cloud of DoorBird which resulted in notifications not being send when using cloud connection. This has been fixed now but is something that should not happen, at least not to often (but all cloud based services deal with these issues).
  • Hi i saw this app appear in the app store, and i would like to know something more about the Doorbird first before buying.

- Can it be connected with the normal wire of current door bel? So replacing the current basic button and connect through the wire wich is already there.
    - If Yes, do all the functions work over two wires?

• @spoelly you can use existing doorbell but that needs two wires. 
    And the power also needs two wires. 

So the minimum is 4. 
    And you can choose for Ethernet that's needs another 4 wires. 
  • @jovink thanks i will think about it.
  • Just out of curiosity, can it operate when blocked/without an internet connection?
  • Just out of curiosity, can it operate when blocked/without an internet connection?
    The API works with the local IP of the DoorBird so I assume it will continue to work without an internet connection. When you are home the DoorBird app will also switch from cloud connection to a local connection as well so that will also work. However saving snapshots automatically in the cloud based on motion or doorbell event (free functionality supplied by DoorBird for the latest 20 snapshots) will of course not work. And of course you wont be able to control the DoorBird from the app when you are not at home although you could try if that works with a VPN though.
  • New version 1.1.0 published in app store

• Added trigger card for door open (use the door open button from the DoorBird app and do anything you like within Homey, no need for a connected smart lock - this might require DoorBird firmware 102 which will be released sometime in february)
    • Added German translation (thanx QNimbus)
  • Hi Jelger, Great that you created the DoorBird app. I do like it very much. However the "send email snapshot" does not work in my case. The door bird device (IP address, ID and password) has been added succesfully. The generic send email does work so the SMTP settings are OK. Any suggestion what might be wrong in my configuration? cheers, Theo
  • Hi Jelger, Great that you created the DoorBird app. I do like it very much. However the "send email snapshot" does not work in my case. The door bird device (IP address, ID and password) has been added succesfully. The generic send email does work so the SMTP settings are OK. Any suggestion what might be wrong in my configuration? cheers, Theo
    Could you tell me or post a screenshot of the flow you are using to send the snapshot. And does the snapshot action card show an error (red triangle) if you use the test flow functionality? If so, could you hover over the triangle and see what error is given.

And is your DoorBird connected through WiFi or through PoE?
  •    The red triangle shows: connect ECONREFUSED 127.0.0.1:25

Ethernet connection is wired + separate power supply (2 wires)

DoorBird IP address is 10.0.1.11

• This is what I received in the designated email box earlier, when setting-up the email in the DoorBird app settings:

DoorBird Homey App

This is a test email which confirms your email settings in the Homey DoorBird App are correct.

•    The red triangle shows: connect ECONREFUSED 127.0.0.1:25

Ethernet connection is wired + separate power supply (2 wires)

DoorBird IP address is 10.0.1.11

When you visit the DoorBird settings page, does it still show your saved email settings? I'm guessing something went wrong with saving the email settings. When using the test function from the settings page it will use the values from the input fields. Once tested succesfully the save button will be enabled but you still need to actually click it to save the settings.

If it does show your settings, which provider are you using to send the email?
  • I tested but did not save...........so after I did the save, closed and reopened the settings again, I saw the settings I saved. It worked fine now. Many thanks for your help.

I was of the assumption that the "generic" "Email versturen" that I used in the flow as well contained the settings. It might be worth using those so one only need to setup the email settings once.

Again, many thanks and please continue issuing new versions with more functionality.

A happy user B)
  • I tested but did not save...........so after I did the save, closed and reopened the settings again, I saw the settings I saved. It worked fine now. Many thanks for your help.

I was of the assumption that the "generic" "Email versturen" that I used in the flow as well contained the settings. It might be worth using those so one only need to setup the email settings once.

Again, many thanks and please continue issuing new versions with more functionality.

A happy user B)
    Well, it is actually using those settings but only after saving them. The current setup is to avoid users from saving incorrect email settings (with this setup you will only be able to save working email credentials after you have tested them). I'll think about making this more foolproof. I'm glad it's sorted now.

• Version 1.2.0 - 2017-04-01

• NEW: Added an action card for sending history snapshots from both the doorbell and the motionsensor. The Doorbird keeps the latest 20 snapshots in memory.
    • IMPROVEMENT: Added extra validation for incoming requests to enhance security, incoming IP address has to match the IP address of an added Doorbird device.
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited April 2017

Version 1.3.0 - 2017-04-12

• NEW: Added token with base64 encoded snapshot image for doorbell and motionsensor trigger card which can be used in notification or email apps with action cards that support these kind of tokens (like Telegram app).
    • FIX: Updated some incorrect translations
  • Just got the Doorbird, installed the app and everything works well right out of the box  :)

Thanks for the great app @Phuturist

Just a question for saving snapshots to local network.

The mail function works well if the button is pushed, but it would be great if you can also save snapshots to local network when there is motion so my mailbox won't get full of pictures.
    Is this possible, maybe with Telegram app or other?

• RichardR said:
    Just got the Doorbird, installed the app and everything works well right out of the box  :)

Thanks for the great app @Phuturist

Just a question for saving snapshots to local network.

The mail function works well if the button is pushed, but it would be great if you can also save snapshots to local network when there is motion so my mailbox won't get full of pictures.
    Is this possible, maybe with Telegram app or other?

Glad you like it. Where would you like to save the images on your local network? In theory you could run a script on a local webserver that is capable of saving the base64 images to disk. I could create a action card for this which uses a PUT request to send the image to this script. But this does not seem the most ideal solution. You can also use a Telegram Bot to store motion snapshots in the cloud which will prevent filling up your mailbox but I dont know if there are space limitations for Telegram Bots.

In short, technically pretty much anything is possible but if you want to use the Doorbird as security cam to monitor motion then the Doorbird app for Homey might not be the best solution as motion snapshots will have to be saved elsewhere. Either in your mail, on a webserver with a script or in the cloud.

The best local solution for using the Doorbird as security cam is using the ONVIF stream with software to monitor this stream and has the capability to save snapshots and send alerts on it's own. You would need a local webserver and for instance something like this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/ or a Synology NAS with Surveillance Station.

• Thanks for the detailed answer, i want to store them on my NAS but i think a script and webserver is to complicated.

Think ill go for Surveillance Station, i have a Synology DS213 which is some years old and to slow, so maybe a good excuse finally for a new one ;)

• RichardR said:
    Thanks for the detailed answer, i want to store them on my NAS but i think a script and webserver is to complicated.

Think ill go for Surveillance Station, i have a Synology DS213 which is some years old and to slow, so maybe a good excuse finally for a new one ;)

Am using this one, very happy with it!
  • That's exactly the same i was looking for :)
    But i'm waiting a few weeks, maybe around this time of year they come with a new model, otherwise i'll go for that one.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.