This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Amazon Opens Alexa Voice Service to Third Party Hardware Makers

as in this post : phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2062557

can you ( now or in future update include it inside homey ... because alexa is mush smarter ( i guess)

Comments

• Fire69Fire69 Member

Alexa is smarter then who? Homey?
    I doubt it. Homey uses Google, right?

• ReflowReflow Member

As far as I know it doesn't use google's speak assistant service..? Correct me if I'm wrong

• OGSOGS Member

In an other discusion I saw they use wit.ia.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

We are not using any 'smart' service. All the thinking happens on Homey itself.

We are using multiple speech-to-text services though. We make them battle online, to deliver the fastest response to you as possible :)

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited June 2015

You don't use a 'smart' service?
    If Homey handles all the speech by himself, can you ask it general questions or only questions that are supported by the installed apps? Things like 'how tall is the Eifel tower' or something more useful :-P

Yes you can. Just install the Wolfram Alpha app :-) We want to keep it modular. Of course, we'll ship with a few apps pre-installed, so the average user won't know the difference.

• so maybe in the future you will use Alexa ???? it's better than reinventing the wheel

Well, at this time Alexa is more limited than Homey..

• Emile said:

Well, at this time Alexa is more limited than Homey..

I agree that Homey can do moreself and integrates with a lot of european home devices. Thats why I bought it.
    The main reason I wanted Homey was to use voice commands. 
    The current version of homey is unusable for voice commands.
    It is very very slow.
    99% of the cases it does not recognise the commands.

My workaround is to use Alexa -> IFTTT -> Homey

Alexa's voice recognition is second to none for $50.-

Please provide an Alexa integration. - you would vastly improve the functionality of Homey.
    Dometica users happily pay 50 euros for a dometica addone. So Homey would manage to sell a lot more.

• Amazon dot intergration Would be awesome, especially When it starts supporting dutch language.
  • Yes, please create an amazon dot integration with Homey! 
    The IFTTT workaround does work very well, but it takes to long and I don't like the required word "trigger" in the command. 
  • i would also love it    :)