This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Integrating window shades with Homey

Hey everyone,

We're launching a device that tackles bringing window shades into the connected and automated space without heavy modification or need to purchase new shades without sacrificing performance or design.

We were curious what the community thought about this and how much interest there would be in a planned integration with Homey.

You can find out a bit more about what our vision is for context here: igg.me/at/axis-gear

Comments

• Wow! Did you really just copied the Move on Kickstarter and try to sell it for three times the price?!

• Hi Michael - while the idea of a retrofit motor solution existed well before the AXIS Gear, we chose to focus on areas where the competition has not. If you dig around, I'm sure you'll find a lot more competitors in our space and I urge you to make a comparison between all available options. Every solution fits a different requirement for different customers.

Our focus has been on our on-device controls, which allows you to control groups of shades from the device itself, our investment in the materials and design to make it a truly beautiful device that people would want in their homes, and finally, a huge focus on the SmartHome.

We are already integrating with SmartThings and Logitech Harmony and will be integrating directly with NEST through their WEAVE program (no more wifi required to talk to NEST).

Finally, we work directly with the North American regulators to make our device child proof and safe.

Thanks for your consideration and if you have any feedback specific to features and integration, please let us know.

• Looks better than the move design.

How is the noise?

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

I love it! If you send us one + your communication protocol, I'll be more than happy to integrate it in Homey :-)

• @Emile, Homey does have Zigbee on board, doesn't it?

• @Emile Thanks! Would love to learn more about how to integrate with Homey. We'll email you directly!

@p0nts Thanks for the compliment! We've tested off-the-shelf gear boxes and ended up deciding to design our own custom gear box made out of plastic and highly lubricated - this helps us achieve the lowest levels of noise possible. It's seriously quiet.

@RobinVanKekem Yes! Homey does have ZigBee built-in. We are also currently gauging interest in Z-Wave.

• To anyone interested, we've added Z-Wave integration as a stretch goal and also updated the page quite a bit. Took a bunch more photos and just overall made it look more awesome.

http://igg.me/at/axis-gear

• It is an awesome device. Looks better than the Move. I am going to look into it this weekend and decide to back or not :)
    Cool that Homey will be supported!

• @jorden Thank you! I sent the compliment over to our industrial designer, it definitely made his afternoon! Of course we're integrating with Homey - it's awesome and we're already preparing for getting the integration started. If you have any questions, comments, ideas or anything, you can reach out to us here or at hello@axis.life

• Hey everyone, just a quick update that we caved and are going to offer Z-Wave support (no longer just a stretch goal). We're making the announcement tonight as well as extending the campaign a few more weeks.

igg.me/at/axis-gear

• JonJon Member
    edited November 2015

@Emile: I would love to hear you saying the same about Move (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/789589988/movemotorize-blinds-and-shades), as in: committing to build Homey compatibility. How about that?

(I think that they have many more backers from the Homey 'scene' than Axis has)

Yes, we're also working with Move! But first let them make a product :-)

• Just dropping in to mention that we hit 100% of our goal!

Congratulations!

• Emile said:
    Congratulations!

Thanks Emile!!

• @teamaxis,

Your product design is really stunning but quite expensive compared to Move.

Also, how about kwowing where the begin-/endpoint is? See below:

Kickstarter backer's comment:
    "@Creator:

Following Michael Kaandorp's link on the clone motor, they have some interesting capabilities, may you advise if these are possible? I just copied their FAQ

1) Add IFTTT app capabilities

2) Can I still manually control my shade using its chain/cord loop?
    Absolutely! Unlike other motors, Gear has been designed so that you can still manually control your window shade using its chain. There are two different ways of doing this:
    Option 1: Tugging on your shade’s chain will send a notification to Gear, automatically raising or lowering the shade, based on the direction of the tug.
    Option 2: Pressing the power button will disengage Gear from your chain, allowing you to manually control the shade using the chain with the Gear still in place. To turn it back on, just press the power button again."

Move's answer:
    "@kwok. Thank you for the question.
    1. IFTTT is in our list of system to try to integrate with.
    2. The way we designed MOVE is to work with as many different products as possible and in order for it to work on products that only uses a cord that will be wheeled onto the spool and for the calibration of endpoints (no matter what product) to stay correct the reel mechanism need to have a locked position when not used.
    -MOVE team"

• @Lesley

Thanks for the kind words on our design! In regards to the pricing: as opposed to the RISE and MOVE projects, our competitors are the top dogs (Somfy, Lutron, Qmotion, etc..) and so both the performance and pricing of our product reflect that. With that said, 2016 should be a very interesting year for shade motorization with all these great products hopefully hitting the market!

After installation, the user simply sets the endpoints during a calibration process using our app or via the capacitive touch slider on the device - essentially you stop the shade at the point you want to be the bottom and stop the shade at the point you want to be the top. LEDs on the device guide the process if you choose to not use the app.

This discussion has been closed.