This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[BETA Release] HomeyDash a Dashboard app for homey

Comments

• swttt said:
    @DaneeDeKruyff
    Nice idea! Will look into whats possible. The thing it that the device isn't really going to dim, just the UI will.
    I could just add a big div over the dashboard after x time with a transparency of 0.2 and some grey color. This would just make it dim.
    That would probably do!
  • @DaneeDeKruyff
    Pretty easy to implement :smile: 
    http://hackedbychinese.github.io/ng-idle/
    Should do the trick right? ;)
  • @swttt
    I'm on 0.4 now, all working well. Great job so far, hope you keep finding time for more improvements.

Just a small remark. You can add a device without selecting a capability. The device then shows up in the setup page but not on the dashboard page. Maybe require a capability or refuse to add it?

I have added some suggestions:

- Change sequence of already added device, drag/drop the device in a different location. Maybe even to another room?
    - Having a default page for each room. When having more dashboards in your house (every room it's own tablet?). When in the bedroom the default page can be bedroom, when in the living room the default page can be living room.
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited January 2017
    swttt said:
    @DaneeDeKruyff
    Pretty easy to implement :smile: 
    http://hackedbychinese.github.io/ng-idle/
    Should do the trick right? ;)
    Definitly! Would be nice if a user could set his/her own desired time before dimming and the transparecy level.
  • @RuudvB
    Thanks for the feedback :smile:

Adding widgets is going to change (probably this weekend, if i got time to finish it :tongue:)
    Drag and drop is something i already tried working on, i chose not to be able to switch them between pages. (makes it way more complicated, and adding it again to a different page aint that hard)

The default room per dashboard could be fixed using localstorage or even direct links (dissable the default page setting and use the http://localip:1337/pages/PAGENAME as a bookmark :smile: 

Weejewel gave me a nice idea for making the dashboard working trough the cloud (in a more secure way) :smile:
    Might look into changing that as well...
  • This is my current setup for the dashboard. It's a 7" Samsung Tab
  • Awesome! Still have to mount mine, or look for a new one :smile: Would still be nice to find one with POE...
  • Nice setup,  I have asked my carpenter to build a frame that fits my Xperia z tablet...lives in a old house so need the new tech stuff to blend in.

• djesko said:
    Nice setup,  I have asked my carpenter to build a frame that fits my Xperia z tablet...lives in a old house so need the new tech stuff to blend in.

I had this tablet in a booklet-case so I cut of the rubber holder and used strong tape to keep it in place and easy removable. Living in a rental apartment for the time being.
  • Guys, i need some feedback on this idea:

I am thinking of using homey it's build in webserver. This would have some pro's and con's, let me explain:

Pros:
    - No need for the Hapi server
    - Less code in the backend and less resources used
    - Authentication trough homey/athom cloud
    - accessible from outside the network

Cons:
    - Longer url (https://yourcloudid.homey.athom.com/app/com.swttt.homeydash
    - Need login on local devices as well (only 1 time if you don't delete your cookies)
    - No ability to start op stop the server (its allways there)
    - Need to check if the bearer token is set in HomeyDash, if not give a message to the user to enter the bearer token.

You still would need to enter the bearer token in the settings. If you try to access the app from the outside or local and you are not logged in, you get redirected to the login page. You login and get redirected back to HomeyDash. 
    At least that is how i guess it's going to work, still need to test it out.

You guys can think of some more pro's and/or con's? Any input is welcome. (even if my hypotesis is wrong :tongue: but i really think that i can get it to work this way.)
  • Do your thing @swttt i am happy as long as the dashboard works and is mounted on my wall  ;)
  • swttt said:
    Guys, i need some feedback on this idea:

I am thinking of using homey it's build in webserver. This would have some pro's and con's, let me explain:
    The biggest "thing" I have with this is that you'd be putting all your eggs in Athoms basket. With every update you'd have to check if HomeyDash is still functioning as you intended, or act reactively on user feedback that something is not right. Whereas now you have full control over your app and (I guess..) the plug-ins\add-ins\extentions you use. 

The longer URL could be tackled by using a reverse proxy, if you have another server that can act as one..

For me, external availability and authentication is not a necessity and I'm over the moon with the road you've taken up to now. But I understand others may have different needs and I could live with the "pro"'s.. <span>:smiley:</span>

DenW
  • For me it is no Must have but it is also okay and i have no Problems with they logins then. 
  • I like it!
    Working just fine ;)
  • Oke, i did some tests...and really seems to work great. (local and remote connections)
    I still didn't made up my mind yet, but if people want to test this...please do so :smile:
    You can find the homey-cloud branch here https://github.com/swttt/com.swttt.homeydash/tree/homey-cloud

Your settings should still be there. Changed the settings window with only a bearer token field. There is no callback when pressed save yet. But it should store the bearer token anyway... You can access the dashboard in 2 ways http://localip/app/com.swttt.homeydash/ or trough https://yourcloudid.homey.athom.com/app/com.swttt.homeydash/ .

When there is no cookie found (so no auth to the app api) you will get redirected to the login page, and after a succesfull login you will get redirected back to the dashboard.
  • Ooh github gives some nice stats:
    Showing 682 changed files with 48 additions and 112,878 deletions.
  • working great! I'd stick to this, no need to re-invent the wheel. As for dependence on Athom, well, that's kind of inherent when using Homey ;)
  • Nice cleanup!

long URL no problem
    Security I see the external address using https so that should not be a problem + homey login
    My personal intrest is more internal wallmounted but that's still possible

So what ever you choose I'm happy with it
  • @swttt Just a thought about preventing the changes to the config.json. isn't it possible to import another JSON file from your config.json? Like a capabilities.json file. That way you won't have to change the config.json when adding capabilities...
  • @rob_houweling
    Wouldn't make any difference. The widgets uses parts from the config.json that changes. Changing that to a capabilities.json would just make the filename different, and would still need to have widget re-added.

There would be a solution where i could read the settings, make the changes recursively on init and save it again. But isn't worth the effort ;)
  • @swttt

Just a thought I had last night I created an bitflip with betterlogic for my tv (harmony activity) and this working great.
    Now I was thinking it would be great when you click on tv (on) it starts your tv but also goes to hidden page named tv
    with all your favorite channels or numericpad. (could also be a side bar)

I wondering is something like this possible to make?

• @Menno
    Huhm...in theory. yes is possible. 
    It would take a new type of widget card, view and controller OR create a new type of widget and add a popup with certain options.
    Either way, it seems complicated ;)

By the way, found some issues with the beta that uses the athom cloud. They store their cookie as a session variable, where iOS removes these cookies after closing the app. This means that you need to login every time you open the app. For me this feels like a showstopper now, and i am looking for a way to work around this issue.
  • MennoMenno Member
    edited January 2017
    Just for people looking for a wallmount device:  Vogel's tms 1010 by bol.com for 29.99 euro (I've ordered one )
  • Menno said:
    Just for people looking for a wallmount device:  Vogel's tms 1010 by bol.com for 29.99 euro (I've ordered one
    Nice one, will probably order it.
    Is anyone already looking for a tablet? 
  • Menno said:
    Just for people looking for a wallmount device:  Vogel's tms 1010 by bol.com for 29.99 euro (I've ordered one )
    I've been looking at these as well but these cannot be screwed on but use tape. They are meant to stick on bathroom tiles if I read correctly.
    They also have a mount for the same holder that can be screwed on but it is a lot more expensive...
  • @Menno my setup with the vogel mount! can also be screwed to the wall!

• Menno said:
    I've been looking at these as well but these cannot be screwed on but use tape. They are meant to stick on bathroom tiles if I read correctly.
    They also have a mount for the same holder that can be screwed on but it is a lot more expensive...
    First response in the link:
    So yes you can screw it on the wall.
    Problem what I'm thinking about is the ugly cable.

Prima muurbeugel
    • Bleitje
    •  
    • 60-69 jaar
    •  
    • Purmerend
    •  
    • 27 december 2016
    • Goede kwaliteit
    • mooie vormgeving
    • Praktisch

Ik heb dit systeem gekocht voor mijn zoon die een tablet gebruikt om de energie in huis bij te houden.
    De beugel past perfect op zijn Asus tablet. Nadat de Vogel'sRingO op de muur was geschroefd kon de tablet in een oogwenk aan de muur worden bevestigd en ook erg makkelijk weer van de muur af. Het resultaat is een strak tegen de muur geplaatste tablet die niet onder doet voor en eruit ziet als TOON.
    Kortom, een aanrader

• You guys seen the one at robbshop? Expensive, but i think thats going to be the way i am going to mount it in the livingroom. (https://www.robbshop.nl/sdock-ipad-mini-houder-zwart-met-lightning-connector)

Other rooms ill just do some soldering and drilling on the back (drill holes in de back panel for fixing to the wall, soldering for using charge cable directly to the back)
  • For now i leave the powercable and charge it when needed. 
  • Do you guys know about a tablet with motion detection. So if it would detect motion the screens brightness will boost from dimmed to bright? It should always be active too. This way you would never have to unlock the device. You could just walk towards it or pick it up and do your thing.