This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[BETA Release] HomeyDash a Dashboard app for homey

Comments

• swttt said:

Might be an option to switch everything to the cloudid url, but have to look into it.
    That would be nice :)
  • Fire69 said:
    swttt said:

Might be an option to switch everything to the cloudid url, but have to look into it.
    It would for sure require an extra level of security if the dashboard would be accesible from outside the LAN. With the current setup you enter your bearer token in the settings, if you would also allow direct access from outside the LAN anyone who has your Athom cloud ID would be able to control your devices.
  • Phuturist said:
    Fire69 said:
    swttt said:

It would for sure require an extra level of security if the dashboard would be accesible from outside the LAN. With the current setup you enter your bearer token in the settings, if you would also allow direct access from outside the LAN anyone who has your Athom cloud ID would be able to control your devices.
    I realize that.  I had the V3 running on my webserver accessible from outside without any sort of authentication.
    A bit risky, I know :tongue:
  • @Phuturist
    @Fire69

The dashboard isn't accesible trough the cloudid url. Only the rest-api is, and this isn't working any different then the normal homey ui. 

So the thing is now, even when you portforward the dashboard url in your modem/router, you can't use the dashboard away from home since your browser tries to connect on the local ip. And indeed port forwarding does add a certain risk to it and would NEVER recommend doing so <span>:tongue:</span>

It is kinda hard to implement a secure way of doing this, since athom doesn't allow any 3rd party to authenticate.
  • By the way: In theory you could run a stand-alone version on a webserver hosted somewhere. This will work, but only when you with your browser/client on the same network as your homey.
  • Might be an option to switch everything to the cloudid url, but have to look into it.
    If you do so, please make it a user choice. I'd like to keep it using the local ip.
  • @DaneeDeKruyff
    Your dashboard still isn't available on the web if you do so. But when you are port forwarding, it starts working since it doesn't tries to connect trough the local ip but trough the cloud.

I will really think about it on how to handle these cases, since the dashboard is meant to be used local on your own network with a tablet mounted on the wall.
  • I just installed it, works great!  Thanks!!
  • luccie_007luccie_007 Member
    edited January 2017
    swttt said:
    @DaneeDeKruyff
    Your dashboard still isn't available on the web if you do so. But when you are port forwarding, it starts working since it doesn't tries to connect trough the local ip but trough the cloud.

I will really think about it on how to handle these cases, since the dashboard is meant to be used local on your own network with a tablet mounted on the wall.
    It is a nice to have but definitely not necessary, i only noticed it because i was working remote.
    But with proper VPN to my home network it still works :)
  • I have added te bearer token, en the webclient works... but i dont see any devices to add... not sure what i'm doing wrong. 
    the bearer token seems pretty clear as the url says what the bearer token is ;) 
    any idea?
  • @ericjanvanputten
    read a comment in the AppStore that my 0.0.2 update stopper the app from working. Maybe this is really an issue. On my way home, so ill look into it asap.
  • swttt said:
    @DaneeDeKruyff

But what's the point in having a local entity contacting another local entity via the cloud?
    A simple rule in networking is 'keep local traffic local'. plus, what will happen when the athom servers are not available (for whatever reason)
  • swttt said:
    @ericjanvanputten
    read a comment in the AppStore that my 0.0.2 update stopper the app from working. Maybe this is really an issue. On my way home, so ill look into it asap.
    cant find that comment, but no worries will happily await - the dash will be amazing! :) 
  • @DaneeDeKruyff
    You are actually right, the main idea was to create a dashboard for in home. Let's not make this to complicated and keep it like its meant to be :smile

@ericjanvanputten
    When you are 100% sure that the bearer token is right, could you check if there are any errors in the chrome console? (if you use chrome ofcourse :smile: ) And just to check, you do have some on/off capapable devices right? Not sure if you are on the Slack channel as well, but you can contact me there too =)
  • swttt said:
    @DaneeDeKruyff
    You are actually right, the main idea was to create a dashboard for in home. Let's not make this to complicated and keep it like its meant to be :smile

@ericjanvanputten
    When you are 100% sure that the bearer token is right, could you check if there are any errors in the chrome console? (if you use chrome ofcourse :smile: ) And just to check, you do have some on/off capapable devices right? Not sure if you are on the Slack channel as well, but you can contact me there too =)
    @swttt
    I have the same problem as @ericjanvanputten. I am running homey version 1.1.2. When trying to add a new page, it creates one, but after switching to the general tab and switching back to pages, the created new page is gone. I am working with chrome, getting Error:[object:Object] when trying to create a new widget. Maybe this info helps a little.

• swttt said:
    the main idea was to create a dashboard for in home. Let's not make this to complicated and keep it like its meant to be :smile
    Great! 
  • @waariswallie @ericjanvanputten Might found the issue, what kind of url are you using to access your homey? the http://LOCALHOMEYIP or the https://CLOUDID.homey.athom.com?
  • waariswallie said:
     When trying to add a new page, it creates one, but after switching to the general tab and switching back to pages, the created new page is gone. I am working with chrome, getting Error:[object:Object] when trying to create a new widget. Maybe this info helps a little.
    Just tested this, no problem whatsoever. Page and widgets added without problem.
    Using homey local ip to connect with Chrome.
  • waariswalliewaariswallie Member
    edited January 2017
    swttt said:
    @waariswallie @ericjanvanputten Might found the issue, what kind of url are you using to access your homey? the http://LOCALHOMEYIP or the https://CLOUDID.homey.athom.com?
    I use the http://localhomeyip:1337/, the cloudid is not working at all (can't be reached)
  • @waariswallie I actually meant when you go in to the homey UI. (not the dashboard)
    Since i switched some things around to get the local ip inside of the settings page (instead of the nodejs part), this might mean that when you access your homey using the cloud instead of direct url, the cloudid gets stored as the local ip. 

A short work-around would be go into the settings on your homey, stop the server and start the server while you where using the LOCAL URL (so not the cloudid)
  • edited January 2017
    I'm using the token part after the = character -> http://192.168.0.xx/?bearer_token=TOKENPARTICOPYBUTNOTSHARE:) 

then from the browser homey interface i tried the 'here' dash url. 
    i tried ip:1337 - and the cloudid isnt reachable here as well. 

ow and i am running 1.1.2
  • swttt said:
    @waariswallie I actually meant when you go in to the homey UI. (not the dashboard)
    Since i switched some things around to get the local ip inside of the settings page (instead of the nodejs part), this might mean that when you access your homey using the cloud instead of direct url, the cloudid gets stored as the local ip. 

A short work-around would be go into the settings on your homey, stop the server and start the server while you where using the LOCAL URL (so not the cloudid)
    @swttt this did the trick! Thanks. By the way, I am using the app in stead of the browser to run homey. Now, via the browser and the direct IP address it is working. Great work!
  • @waariswallie Ye just found out with some help as well :smile: Didn't anticipate that the app uses the cloud to connect to your homey by default

@ericjanputten This might do the trick for you as well :smile:

In general, i'll try to fix this soon and release a 0.0.3
  • everything via browser worked here as well :) now seeing devices!
  • swtt, might it be a good idea to split this topic into two parts?
    Support and Discussion and feature request ?

And do get that donation button online.  You are doing something Athom should have done. 
  • @Mathijs
    Note sure if thats a great idea, the best way to keep track of the feature requests is creating an issue on github. I do know that not all (and probably really just a few) have a github account.

I have seen some requests lists as well in some topic (no registration needed, and you could upvote requests, add requests etc.) Can't seem to find a link or something like it on google. Will dive into it later :)
  • @swttt think you mean something like this: https://www.uservoice.com/
  • @DaneeDeKruyff
    Seems like it, but note sure if it really was that one. I'll dig into some topic, i think i have seen a link somewhere about z-wave devices :smile:

Just updated github to version 0.0.3.
    This fixes the previous mentioned bug (few comments back) and adds default page settings. You might need to manually stop and restart the server to fix the bug tho.

This seems a bit cliche, but i am glad i uploaded the current version to the appstore. You guys found some bugs i never would have. (and would have taken allot more effort to fix them if the dashboard was more finished then it is now)
    A big thank you to all the kind words, donations, bug reporting and support in any other way :smile:

I am even sure the app will be rock-solid (Rock-solid isn't trademarked by Athom right?)  by the end of the week (with still some work-arounds in place tho), but hey..then i can finally start on some requests and capabilities :smile:
  • Found something to collect feature requests! :grin:
    http://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/3RDOS32STGN

Not register or login needed. (Just press "No thanks" in the second window when you add an idea)
  • Great app! Really like it. One question: when i click in the settings "hide Settings wheel " or so how can i get back to the Settings?