This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

1 major flaw

Homey doesnt tell you it didnt recognize any words/commands. Siri/Google Now will tell you it doesnt understand what you just said to it; Siri even searches the web for you (even tho i dont like it).

You get no feedback at all. When i say 'oke homey, tell me the time' you see it thinks by emiting a yellowish color around its border, then just goes back to default.

Homey should tell you something like 'Sorry i didnt understand you. Please try again later/try something else'.

Without this, it makes Homey super unfriendly. I can't tell whether it didnt match any apps, just didnt understood what i said or if it actually DOES something.

Comments

• I use the "parrot" flow which recalls what Homey heard...helps me alot!
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited December 2016
    When u check http://Homey-IP/manager/speech-input/ u can see if he actualy DOES something.
    Open that page in ur Chrome browser and try:
    Tell me the time
    What time is it
    What is the time
    And whatever u feel like to ask. Be surprised!!

• When u check http://Homey-IP/manager/speech-input/ u can see if he actualy DOES something.
    Open that page in ur Chrome browser and try:
    Tell me the time
    What time is it
    What is the time
    And whatever u feel like to ask. Be surprised!!

This does not solve the issue. We are talking about a live situation not during testing. I hope you don't expect the enduser to access the speech manager to check if Homey understood the question?
  • At least make this a optional system setting. On: it tells you it doesn't understand the question and Off: current behaviour.
  • Like to have this feature 2
  • PandaPanda Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes this should be included, the parrot way is annoying because I don't want Homey to repeat my command when it sucessfully receives it.

But to be honest, you best bet is to create a github issue, ideas on the forum aren't read by the Athom team.
  • Ive returned it to where i bought it from. It's mind boggling i even had to create this thread. Hopefully they will do something about it.

This product is far from market-ready...
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited January 2017
    rynox said:
    Ive returned it to where i bought it from. It's mind boggling i even had to create this thread. Hopefully they will do something about it.

This product is far from market-ready...
    I understand that it would be a nice feature for some or a lot of you, but to say that Homey is far from market ready:-/ because it is not responding "I don't understand you" 

than I have to say "I don't understand you"  :)

• Well, while you and a lot others will not understand him, he has clearly voted with his wallet. athom had already gotten our money, the geeks and early adopters, so it's now dependant on the next group. This is the group that's vital to Athoms succes and will decide for us if we can continue using our homey's so I think it's wise that this community start treating new users and forum members with a more friendly and understanding attitude!
  • You can return all you want, you wont find a better product then Homey When it comes to domotics. And dont come up with Alexa / Google home because they can only control a very limited set of devices, those dont come close to Homey
  • Irrelevant, a lost sale is a lost sale.
  • Well, while you and a lot others will not understand him, he has clearly voted with his wallet. athom had already gotten our money, the geeks and early adopters, so it's now dependant on the next group. This is the group that's vital to Athoms succes and will decide for us if we can continue using our homey's so I think it's wise that this community start treating new users and forum members with a more friendly and understanding attitude!
    Again "i don't understand"  what was not friendly I said?

• You can return all you want, you wont find a better product then Homey When it comes to domotics. And dont come up with Alexa / Google home because they can only control a very limited set of devices, those dont come close to Homey
    I remember Video 2000 it was superior to VHS but that was not enough... 
    Read this : http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/27/amazon-says-it-sold-millions-of-alexa-devices-over-holiday-sales-of-echo-up-9x-over-last-year/
  • MHubertMHubert Member
    edited January 2017
    Last days/weeks LMAO on how MM customers(!) are treated by "the establishment".
    You guys realize these new customers can break Athom much faster then we can expect?

• At least make this a optional system setting. On: it tells you it doesn't understand the question and Off: current behaviour.
    Here is why I am lost. I made a few suggestions in the past. Some things are very very easy to implement and gives the users the a feel that they are listening to you and things are moving in the right direction. But again no response. What is the problem with my suggestion? Small investment, big reward.

I think Echo and Alexa have a great future. I imagine a world where every device has it's own ip adress and where there is no more z-wave etc but only your local computer network. How easy is it to connect a voice controlled system (or robot?)  to this network and let it switch on the lights? Peanuts. No more problems with different protocols. You already see 3rd parties developing devices to connect to Echo and Alexa. Alexa has a developers kit (ASK) to include its voice recognition in any other device with a mic and speaker (homey? ;-) ) . I think this is the way to go and I would think twice before filling your home with zwave, zigbee, Kaku etc.
    Here is why I am lost. I made a few suggestions in the past. Some things are very very easy to implement and gives the users the a feel that they are listening to you and things are moving in the right direction. But again no response. What is the problem with my suggestion? Small investment, big reward.

I think Echo and Alexa have a great future. I imagine a world where every device has it's own ip adress and where there is no more z-wave etc but only your local computer network. How easy is it to connect a voice controlled system (or robot?)  to this network and let it switch on the lights? Peanuts. No more problems with different protocols. You already see 3rd parties developing devices to connect to Echo and Alexa. Alexa has a developers kit (ASK) to include its voice recognition in any other device with a mic and speaker (homey? ;-) ) . I think this is the way to go and I would think twice before filling your home with zwave, zigbee, Kaku etc.
    I must see the first WIFI battery powered motion sensor on the market.
  • That's what they said about electric cars.
  • @DaneeDeKruyff  Yes In 1880 (link) hehehe
  • mitchmitch Member
    edited January 2017
    You can return all you want, you wont find a better product then Homey When it comes to domotics. And dont come up with Alexa / Google home because they can only control a very limited set of devices, those dont come close to Homey
    While I accept and respect your opinion, I use my Alexa WAY more than I use Homey. In combination with Alexa, Smartthings (and Smarttiles for my wall mounted tablet) and Harmony Hub, all my devices work perfectly (by voice which I might add), every time and without issue. 
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited January 2017
    It's not so difficult to create a few flows to make Homey say that it didn't understand the question.

- When Homey stops listening set a variable  like 'waitForHomey' to true.
    - When Homey says something, set the variable 'waitForHomey' to false.
    - If Homey didn't say anything within 6 seconds ('waitForHomey' is still true), make it say; "Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean with <repeat your question>"

• These big companies live from gathering all your personal data, also from the nu.nl article:
    http://www.nu.nl/gadgetbeurs-ces/4375382/achtergrond-amazon-wint-ces-met-alomtegenwoordige-stemassistent-alexa.html
    Alexa is particularly open to developers of all kinds of gadgets, but have the voice assistant do purchases at another shop than Amazon is not possible.
    and
    Language while being really constitutes a barrier: Alexa works in English and other major languages, but for example, has no Dutch version
  • These big companies live from gathering all your personal data
    Privacy and brand-slavery are major reasons for me to avoid companies like Google and Amazon as much as possible (but I do use Google's Android). 
    This was also a major reason to choose for Homey, which doesn't collect personal data or personal sounds when it is not needed.
  • These big companies live from gathering all your personal data
    Privacy and brand-slavery are major reasons for me to avoid companies like Google and Amazon as much as possible (but I do use Google's Android). 
    This was also a major reason to choose for Homey, which doesn't collect personal data or personal sounds when it is not needed.

How sure are you about that? 
  • It's not so difficult to create a few flows to make Homey say that it didn't understand the question.

- If Homey didn't say anything within 6 seconds ('waitForHomey' is still true), make it say; "Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean with <repeat your question>"

Of course it can be done with a few flows and variables but try explaining that to the non tech buyer of Homey. I really don't understand why you got 2 likes. That is the problem on this forum, tech solutions always get a lot of likes. Try thinking a bit like a non tech (open mind ;-)) and imagine how anybody else would/can solve this problem. I you and the more here keep thinking and acting like a tech guy, Homey will not survive and any effort you put into this product is a waste of time. Of course it is a nice hobby but this product is not and should not be for nerds only. Why do you think Echo and Alexa are such a success? It is not because you have to be a wizzkid to get it to work. Keep it simple.
  • MHubert said:
    These big companies live from gathering all your personal data

How sure are you about that? 
    Well, not... just as I am not sure if I'll still be alive next month... Live is a risk.

But Athom says: 

Jouw data is jouw data.

Al je data wordt lokaal opgeslagen, en wordt niet gedeeld met ons of een andere partij.
    Gewoon omdat het jouw data is, niet de onze.

A business relationship is always based on trust in the first place. The one who betrayes the other, will have an enemy forever.

• It's not so difficult to create a few flows to make Homey say that it didn't understand the question.

Of course it can be done with a few flows and variables but try explaining that to the non tech buyer of Homey. I really don't understand why you got 2 likes. That is the problem on this forum, tech solutions always get a lot of likes. Try thinking a bit like a non tech (open mind ;-)) and imagine how anybody else would/can solve this problem. I you and the more here keep thinking and acting like a tech guy, Homey will not survive and any effort you put into this product is a waste of time. Of course it is a nice hobby but this product is not and should not be for nerds only. Why do you think Echo and Alexa are such a success? It is not because you have to be a wizzkid to get it to work. Keep it simple.
    I couldn't agree more!
  • Almost a year ago @Emile said it was too soon, maybe someone could open a new issue. I do see a clear usecase and actually agree...
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/93
  • @OpenMind_NL:
    Google got big: don't be evil. 
    Look where the now are...... 

What is my data? That's not described and what happens with data that's goes through the cloud from your homey to your phones homey app? Is that still your data or data considered as "shared with"  Athom? 
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited January 2017
    It's not so difficult to create a few flows to make Homey say that it didn't understand the question.

Absolutely right... And because it is so simple to solve for someone with a little logical thinking, Athom should add this immediatly to the OS. Athom needed to profit from Sinterklaas and Christmas... but Homey wasn't really ready for it yet... version 1.0 should have been version 0.95 or something like that... Promoting Homey didn't turn out good either... People saw Homey at MM but walked on because they didn't understand what it was... To be honest, I didn't even recognize "the little ball in the glass cube" as a product that was for sale... Where are the monitors with repeating product movies? ...etc...
    Nope... Homey is not really ready for the "standard consumer".

On the other hand, univeral home-automation is all about programming flows that tell devices how to communicate and reakt with each other. Someone who is able to create those flows, is also able to solve this problem. However It may take a few days or a week to learn how Homey works and what it can do for you, so bringing it back the second day is a little 'overheated'.

And yes... Thing like Alexa and Assistant might work "flawlessly"... but not if you talk Dutch... and not with brands that wont kneel for Amazon/Google... and not without collecting private information... and not without recording EVERYTHING that is said... etc. THAT's what I call a major flaw....
  • MHubert said:
    @OpenMind_NL:
    Google got big: don't be evil. 
    Look where the now are...... 

What is my data? That's not described and what happens with data that's goes through the cloud from your homey to your phones homey app? Is that still your data or data considered as "shared with"  Athom? 
    When my car drives on your road.... it will never become your car.