This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

LED Ring collection

OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
edited January 2017 in Apps

Now available at: https://apps.athom.com/app/openmindnl.ledcollection

BE SURE THAT YOUR HOMEY IS UPDATED TO AT LEAST VERSION 1.0.5

MOST RETAIL HOMEYS ARE RUNNING A LOWER VERSION. PLEASE UPDATE FIRST.

Comments

• Very very cool, thanks for the great app!!!
  • Some really cool effects in there, nice job!
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited December 2016
    Woop you added a lot :) Still testing them but for now i can only thanks! Great job and just in time for Christmas with the sparkle :)
  • I'm probably an idiot, but how do I use this??  :s
    Can't find it anywhere...
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited December 2016
    Fire69 said:
    I'm probably an idiot, but how do I use this??  :s
    Can't find it anywhere...

- Desktop App / Browser  manager:

Settings - LED Ring

... or ...

Flow action -> LED Ring -> Set Screensaver

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks! :cookie:
  • Yep :smiley:

Too bad mine is slightly off-center because I have to guide the cable to the side of the cupboard  :p
  • Is it possible to make a solid colour? Maybe in red or green or yellow or different colours?
    edited December 2016
    olive said:
    Is it possible to make a solid colour? Maybe in red or green or yellow or different colours?

Yes, that's possible. There was a bug in Homey that made the LED Ring page load slower when more LED Ring patterns were added. That bug seems to be removed with firmware 1.05, so I will add some more colors and patterns in the next update.
  • olive said:
    Is it possible to make a solid colour? Maybe in red or green or yellow or different colours?

Yes, that's possible. There was a bug in Homey that made the LED Ring page load slower when more LED Ring patterns were added. That bug seems to be removed with firmware 1.05, so I will add some more colors and patterns in the next update.
    Great news, thanks.
    edited January 2017
    Updated to version 1.1

- 6 new patterns: Solid, Color flow, Flash, Breathing, Pulse train, Eyes.
    - All single color patterns are now available in white, red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple and magenta.
    - Two-color patterns are now available in any combination of the single colors (except for white).
    - 'Gort' is now available in all combinations of the primary colors red, yellow, green, cyan, blue and magenta.

New total: 193 LED Ring displays...
  • Updated to version 1.1

- All single color patterns are now available in white, red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple and magenta.
    - Two-color patterns are now available in any combination of the single colors (except for white).
    - 'Gort' is now available in all combinations of the primary colors red, yellow, green, cyan, blue and magenta.

That is awesome.

I think I know the answer but just to be sure, would it be possible to have the lighthouse effect in flowing colors?
  • Damn, too much choice now :smiley:
  • Phuturist said:
    Updated to version 1.1

That is awesome.

I think I know the answer but just to be sure, would it be possible to have the lighthouse effect in flowing colors?
    Yes... Good idea! I'll make a note to add Lighthouse with color flow in a next version... and I might add one for Satellite too.
  • Fire69 said:
    Damn, too much choice now :smiley:
    I'm sorry for that, but sometimes it's just impossible to stop me...  :(
  • Fire69 said:
    Great work, go forward. Thanks. Is it possible, knight rider version, to turn the led left and right?
  • olive said:
    Fire69 said:
    Great work, go forward. Thanks. Is it possible, knight rider version, to turn the led left and right?
    Did you try "Scanner"? That one is inspired by The Knight Rider car lights.
  • The list is getting really long now.
    Is it technically possible to show a selection list of only the effects and once you select an effect show the different colors?
    Or is that something that Athom should change because it's in their Settings menu?
    edited January 2017
    Fire69 said:
    The list is getting really long now.
    Is it technically possible to show a selection list of only the effects and once you select an effect show the different colors?
    Or is that something that Athom should change because it's in their Settings menu?
    It's not possible for me to determine the layout for the LED Ring names.
    But you are right! I already thought about this and I think it would already be a nice step forward when Athom could make the names show up like in Windows List View for example.

And... in the Flow-action screensaver selection you can already filter by typing a color, or by typing the main name of a screensaver :)
    edited January 2017
    There are 2 ways in which I could help to make the screensaver list shorter.... and both ways have there own negative side effects...

1. I might be able to create only one selection for each pattern type, plus the required color selection on a settings page.
    Problem: Only one color(combination) per pattern would be available at a time. This makes it impossible, for example, to use different colors for alarms in Flow-actions. Now you can select any color for any rain-, smoke-, parents-in-law-, whatever-alarm.

2. I could split the list in one-app-per-pattern (equals 9 to 30 screensavers per app), so you can load only the types you really use. Problem: Each app would require about 20MB of memory. Using only 3 different patterns would require 1.5 to 2 times as much memory as now is used for 16 patterns.

So... For now I prefer all patterns in all colors in one app. ;)
  • True, the downsides are too big to change it :)
  • You got a donate button somewhere Alex?
  • olive said:
    Fire69 said:
    Did you try "Scanner"? That one is inspired by The Knight Rider car lights.
    Yeah , thanks this is what i mean. Great ;)
  • Phuturist said:
    You got a donate button somewhere Alex?

Not yet for this app. I'll add one to the app-page with the next update... if I don't forget... :D
    edited January 2017

If there are more requests for some type of LED Ring display... just let me know! Any example video or photos for the effect will be great help.

I'll see if I can include it to the list within the limits of normal memory usage. Anything is possible, but keep in mind that too complex (a lot of color/pattern/direction changes) means too much memory usage.

Memory friendly examples = Satellite (Satelliet), Triangle (Driehoek): Only one frame that is rotated by Homey's OS.

Less memory friendly = Oncoming (Tegenligger): Repeating 24 frames at 12 frames a second. Slow rotation by OS.

Also less memory friendly = Newtonian lights (Newton lichten): Repeating 42 frames at 20 frames a second. No rotation.

Memory hungry example = Eyes (Ogen): 120 frames at 2 frames a second for 1 minute repeating animation. Every movement is calculated randomly for each frame. Homey just shows the frames at the right speed.

• A semi-random flickering light which mimicks a tv which is on would be a good addition for when you're not home. But I can imagine this uses resources too...
  • A semi-random flickering light which mimicks a tv which is on would be a good addition for when you're not home. But I can imagine this uses resources too...

That would be something like the Flowing colors, but changing colors randomly at a random speed... sometimes heavy flashing, sometime smooth bright/dark changes, sometimes ....etc...

The problem with the screensavers is that the frame-speed is determined by the shortest frame change. That would be something like half second flashes/color changes. This means that the frame-rate needs to be at least 2 frames a second. Besides that I discovered that Homey does not show screensavers that have something like 150 frames or more... no error, they just don't show. I guess that 128 frames may be an OS-boundary at the moment. I will have to test for that.

So... 2 frames a second with a max of 120 frames, makes a max total time of 1 minute that will be repeated endlessly. The 'Eyes' pattern is an example for that... The occasional eye-blink is the shortest change... 0.5 sec. There could be more color- and brightness changes in the same time (1 minute) without using (much) more memory.

Maybe I should think about a separate app for TV scene-lights that contains a few different 1 minute light-patterns. A user would then be able to change the screensavers with flow-actions. Put 10 screensavers in the ...Then-action in one flow, separated by 1, 2, 3... 10 minute time-delays.... or make a random screensaver selection every minute by using Better Logic... could be something :)

... could be something :)

The more I think about it, the more ideas I get... maybe I should even think about including flow-cards to select a random TV-scene-screensaver.... Don't pin me down on it, but the idea is fixed into my mind right now! ;)
  • Hi alex

I love the eye screensaver, is it possible in the middle of the eye to make a different colour? I hope you understand me what i mean :D