This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Red Ring after boot

Hi,

After i boot my homey the led ring turns to solid red after a minute or so. How can i resolve this issue? A Factory reset doesn't seem to work (no countdown or reset what so ever)

Comments

• RedRingOfDeath (RROD)

Support@athom.com
  • Where is the forum topic about restoring the homey?
  • Gone.... probably deleted by @Athom ;
  • many of the topics that were on this forum, with instructions, have been deleted from here and were moved to the support section on their new website:

https://www.athom.com/en/support/

• Bumblez said:
    many of the topics that were on this forum, with instructions, have been deleted from here and were moved to the support section on their new website:

https://www.athom.com/en/support/

this article [HELP] My Homey is not responding after an update seems to be deleted...
  • I also have the same problem...

After i boot my homey the led ring turns to solid red after a minute or so. How can i resolve this issue? A Factory reset doesn't seem to work (no countdown or reset what so ever)

Hooking it up to wireless LAN worked; it ran the update... but hanged after "Please wait... configuring your Homey"

Now my Homey is showing a red ring; it is connected to my WIFI router and SSH service is responding, but nothing else...

Please help? How to recover from this?
  • Bumblez said:
    As stated in my starting post: A Factory reset doesn't seem to work (no countdown or reset what so ever)
  • Well, as @MarcoF stated... I also recommend contacting Athom support.
  • Bumblez said:
    Thanks, but that guidance/instruction is not helping... The instruction is perfectly clear, but the Homey does not start to count down... tried 30 times to switch off, switch on UP, after 30-60 seconds hold Homey Upside-Down... it shows a orange flashy ring and after a couple of minutes it full RED. but no count down or anything result to put it in Recovery mode.

I did notice, booting directly UPside-down the Homey will show a purple flashy ring... but no recovery options or 'Homey Setup' AP shown...
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited January 2018
    Okay, here's a piece of text I managed to locate from the old thread (https://forum.athom.com/discussion/696/help-my-homey-is-not-responding-after-an-update/)... maybe this helps?

<removed>
    I know it's incomplete, but that's all I've got...

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Bumblez said:
    As stated in my starting post: A Factory reset doesn't seem to work (no countdown or reset what so ever)
    As stated before;
    RROD contact support@athom.com

In most cases this is the fastest way to recover especially when the KB article can't solve it.

Following the recovery guide is/was on your own risk :wink: 

:smile: 

• JvanBodegomJvanBodegom Member
    edited January 2018
    Problem solved! Thanks all!!!

I received the same from Atom; after sending them an email.

Because I am using a Apple iMac, this is what you can do to fix the RED Ring of Death:

<removed>
    Now plug your Homey in your computer, while it's turned upside down. When Homey will circle purple, put it on it's feet again. If all goes well, your Homey will be restored. 
  • VishwapreetVishwapreet Member
    edited April 2016
    @JvanBodegom:

I have gone through the same steps as you (using an RPi though) but my Homey is now circling purple for the last 9 hours straight. 

How long did this process take at your side?
  • Vishwapreet said:
    @JvanBodegom:

I have gone through the same steps as you (using an RPi though) but my Homey is now circling purple for the last 9 hours straight. 

How long did this process take at your side?
    a couple of minutes... maybe 15 mins in total. The terminal will show all steps, no progression bar, but you should see activities. Might be that the RPi is using a different interface and doesn't connect. I noticed on the network interfaces a new interface shows up when the Homey is connected to the PC. Maybe that helps you to troubleshoot... good luck!
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    @Vishwapreet

You did make sure to use a powered USB hub, and not the RPi's own USB port (as stated in the instructions), right?

• @Vishwapreet ;

You made sure the program has run? If it's done you must disconnect the Homey and restart him in the upright position. Then the Homey will start (hopefully) all good again.
  • VishwapreetVishwapreet Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for your prompt responses, @Bumblez, @JvanBodegom, @b.clevering.

My Homey is working again!

This is what I have just replied to Stefan (Support) via email:

"When moving Homey to its' new location on a cupboard, I also attached it to a newly bought usb 2.0 cable (5 mtr.). I did not mention that in my earlier communications since I did not think that this would be an issue and especially not since Homey turned on with that cable.
    As a coincidence, I just tried the original cable to connect to the Pi and Homey started to work again!
    As the cable being a suspect at that point, I disconnected Homey from the Pi and reconnected it using the new 5 mtr. cable with original usb powersocket plug. And yes, Homey showed the red ring again after a minute or so.
    Thereafter, I connected Homey with the original usb cable and original usb powersocket plug and Homey started up normally and is operational.
    I will leave Homey connected using the orignally supplied cable and power plug.

Does Homey use a USB 3.0 cable since a USB 2.0 cable seems to cause the above behaviour?
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2016
    It can definitely destroy wireless communication. (and more) 

I've had a few power kabels bundled together (normal 230v) but these together could cause so much interference that one of the cables that was plugged into an Fibaro Wall Plug (and bundled besides these cables), completely stopped my z-wave from working, and eventually even let homey stop reacting,  probably by overloading homey with requests (still in the talks with athom about this)

5 Meters of small wires (probably without shielding) just let's the electrician in me grinch. 
    Because the voltage loss would be too big.
  • mrandersonmranderson Member
    edited January 2018
    Problem solved! Thanks all!!!

I received the same from Atom; after sending them an email.

<removed>
    Old thread, I know. Athom wanted me to send in my homey for my rrod, but this worked like a charm! Only thing I had to do differently was turning my Homey upside down right after plugging in, or else it wouldn't connect. Thanks a bunch! <3
  • @mranderson ;
    I have also used the JvanBodegom method and my Homey is starting againg (rainbow led). But when I run setup (after holding homey up-side-down for 15+ seconds) the setup does start but says that the homey updater should be updated and that homey will restart in setup mode. Homey does restart but not in setup mode.

Am I missing something? Any advice?
  • @mranderson
    I have succeeded! Tried with another laptop and it worked. Homey is now up to date and running. 
  • pascal said:
    @mranderson
    I have succeeded! Tried with another laptop and it worked. Homey is now up to date and running. 
    Its Athom big advice to NOT use this method and send your Homey back to them.
  • Ok. Thanks. Next time I will keep that in mind, but for now it is working.
  • bob76bob76 Member
    edited March 2017
    guys i followed the steps for linux but homey wont go past stage 11     1%