This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey @ Mediamarkt - why on earth would you buy it?

2»

Comments

• Phuturist said:
    Question is if Homey is user friendly enough for the people who already use KAKU stuff and want to take it to the next level. 
    Until KAKU reception range can be measured in meters instead of centimeters I think the whole point is moot. I also think Luuk makes a few good points, a lot of people will be disappointed. The software having lost its beta status  is marketing and does not reflect the actual state of the product. I like it most of the time, but I would never call this a consumer ready product. 

Having seen it not working in mediamarkt this weekend (in half an hour not a single voice command was understood) seems to confirm this. 
  • I have KaKu reception on 10 meters with battery-powered devices (doorsensor) so probably there's a disturbance-signal around your place somewhere?
  • Mathijs said:
    Phuturist said:
    Question is if Homey is user friendly enough for the people who already use KAKU stuff and want to take it to the next level. 
    Until KAKU reception range can be measured in meters instead of centimeters I think the whole point is moot. I also think Luuk makes a few good points, a lot of people will be disappointed. The software having lost its beta status  is marketing and does not reflect the actual state of the product. I like it most of the time, but I would never call this a consumer ready product. 

Having seen it not working in mediamarkt this weekend (in half an hour not a single voice command was understood) seems to confirm this. 

I'm not very suprised that the voice recognition in a environment like the media markt is not working. It's kinda noisy most of the time.. 
  • undergroundunderground Member
    edited November 2016
    It has been said before; KlikAanKlikUit is becoming obsolete. Yes, I have also KAKU in two rooms, but I am replacing them with fibaro z-wave modules. I am not even going to install the KAKU app. It is just not realiable. There is no way knowing the state of the light or wall switch. This makes it useless. OK, it is cheap.

That Athom supported KAKU is obvious. A lot of people have KAKU and therefore you have a nice showcase. But I see it as to show what Homey can do, not as a thing you would use eventually.

And there you have one other thing that is very important to be successful (next to availability of apps and system backup), namely stability.
    The Homey would become obsolete if it is not 99.99% reliable. Yesterday I walked into a room where it was dark and the light wouldn't switch on. The light sensor was ok (lux level was low). I checked the Homey and I couldn't manually switch the fibaro single switch z-wave plus. I had to reboot the Homey to get it to work again.
    I can live with this (for now), because it was in beta. But if I would buy it in a store, I expect it to work.

But hey! You have to admire the guys who started Athom. It is not easy to start a company and also try to keep the user happy. If you do A, some users are pissed off. And if you do B, other users are pissed off. In other words, you never do the right thing. And to be real, they have to go to the market at some point to earn money. The timing is difficult and only up to the guys at Athom. Having said that: Congrats guys at Homey!
  • sossienlsossienl Member
    edited November 2016
    Every week there is something wrong with Homey. It's unbelievably unstable and crashes a lot. A configuration that works for a few days suddenly stops working. "Apps" that crash without any real understanding why, missing "Insights" and over promised features during the Kickstarter phase.

Even while I believe there is a true need for a device like this, Homey is not that device. The instability, makes it unreliable and difficult to work with if you're not tech savvy. It should not be possible to sell such a device in this stage

Another problem for me, that makes this device very limited is the memory. 512MB is not enough and will limit the capability to smoothly run all "apps" I require.
  • sossienl said:
    Every week there is something wrong with Homey. It's unbelievably unstable and crashes a lot. A configuration that works for a few days suddenly stops working. "Apps" that crash without any real understanding why, missing "Insights" and over promised features during the Kickstarter phase.

Even while I believe there is a true need for a device like this, Homey is not that device. The instability, makes it unreliable and difficult to work with if you're not tech savvy. It should not be possible to sell such a device in this stage

Another problem for me, that makes this device very limited is the memory. 512MB is not enough and will limit the capability to smoothly run all "apps" I require.
    You mean every week you're specific situation suffers from some issues that need to be solved. Over here Homey is running smoothly even with the latest firmware. If an app crashes you should send the developer an e-mail, file an issue on github ( if the repository is known) or post it in the comments on apps page. I have to agree on the memory thing tho. It seems that 512 mb is just a little to small.
  • MHubertMHubert Member
    edited November 2016
    Last week I broght my Toyota too the car dealer wit a powersteering issu.
    All customers in dealer tolt mee ther toyota is running great with no issues.... 

So I probably i have no issue and left with my powersteering issue and still driving it.

(so annojing when everybody tel the have no issues if somebody say the have issues)
  • So because you have a problem everybody else have to keep their mouth shut because it works ?

• No @Webster. We have to shut up from you and some others because we make no good publicity for Athom because we are telling lies.
    For myself I have giving up for the moment. If on 5 January 2017, one year birthday,  I can not do with Homey what is promised, I put it in the box and forget it forever. Then I have lost the gamble from €399.00.

• Where did u buy it for 399??
  • No @Webster. We have to shut up from you and some others because we make no good publicity for Athom because we are telling lies.
    For myself I have giving up for the moment. If on 5 January 2017, one year birthday,  I can not do with Homey what is promised, I put it in the box and forget it forever. Then I have lost the gamble from €399.00.

Nobody said this.. for me I try to put things into perspective. 
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited November 2016
    @rocodamelshe @theodekoning is a first batch backer, payed more to get earlier access to bugs
    Super Early Birds were lucky enough to pay only €179 to get somewhat later access  ;)
  • Wyrd but thnx for the info.
  • Thing is.. my motion alarm was working perfectly (if movement, shoot first, then send message to phone). The shooting part still works fine, but the message isn't being send anymore. 

So, working things just stop working. That's not too good. 

And how do you backup your flows? How can I store them somewhere?
  • Anyhow; why on earth would you as a typical Mediamarkt visitor wanne buy or have a Homey?

No idea :pensive: 
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited November 2016
    https://status.athom.com -> notifications are down atm
  • Ah, thanks. 

I really like the Homey btw. Lot of potential. Hope soon all this potential will be there to use, and maybe then it will be a Mediamarkt ready product. So, I might be bitching a bit, but I do love the project. And I am not a nerd. 
  • If all my flows would some day disappear for no reason I would burn my homey immediately btw. 
  • LuukvD said:
    Anyhow; why on earth would you as a typical Mediamarkt visitor wanne buy or have a Homey?

No idea :pensive: 
    Is this part of ur " usefull discussion" or part of ur "Bitching a bit"?
  • I use the telegram app, is more stable and faster (my experience) 
  • LuukvD said:

And how do you backup your flows? How can I store them somewhere?
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2063/copy-flows
  • For me it is the same reason is why i became a (early) pre-order.

i really love the idea what homey is, and/or can become in the future.
    All the wireless protocols that they are capable of putting together in a 10 by 10 cm round box.
    It really awoken the automation geek in me, and definitely made me more lazy (but i guess that's a bad thing :tongue:)
    And it just looks awesome.

it has really improved on all parts these past months, even though there were highs and lows.
    and it will only keep improving.

really looking forward to what is going to come in the very near future.
    and definitively glad that i became part of this awesome community that is here at the moment.
  • True. 

It's an awesome product. For some of us :cold_sweat: 
This discussion has been closed.