This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

IOS and Android compatibilty for previous versions

edited April 2015 in Questions & Help

I'm experimenting for several years with both the Vera, the Domoticz on RaspberryPI and since a year with the HC2 from Fibaro. One of the problems I'm facing is the support of older IOS and Android versions. Currently, whenever I'm buying a new tablet or smartphone, the older one is used for managing the domotica system. (Ipad 1, Ipad 2, Iphone 4 etc) With Fibaro, with every update they do for additional hardware (such as smoke & movements sensors), an App upgrade is required for support of new Z-Wave features.

And thats where the problems lies. The new App only support certain versions of the IOS or Android. In other words; whenever I want to use the new hardware, I need to upgrade to a new version of the Fibaro app, which requires me to upgrade my IOS version which then again isn't supported by in this case apple as the hardware is too old. (although I personally don't think 3to4 years is really old but lets call it old).

How is this supported by Homey. Will the Apps support older IOS versions as well so I can use the Ipad (iOS 5.1.1) the Iphone 4 (iOS 7.1.2) or will only the lastest IOS be supported.

And as an alternative: is the interface of Homeys webbased compatible with the browser IOS Safari so that I can use the browser on the devices?

Comments

• Very curious about this too since I would like to build my Ipad 1 into the wall to use it as a remote panel :)

• Same here but on Android ,

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

We support iPhone 4S and better (iOS 7+) and Android 4+. There is a web-based fallback for some features, and we hope that the community will make a wall-mounted tablet interface as well :-)

• Nice :)

• Hi Emile,

Thanks for the feedback. Curious to see how it will work on the webbased version. And if that doesn't work, we'll create an app for that. One of the benefits of having an open system with open API's.

• In the past, I had a strong preference for native android apps over web based apps, but lately, I'm adding more and more shortcuts to web based apps to my phone and tablet. The web based apps are just as fast, just as easy and always up-to-date.

• Hi there,
    the last post in the discussion is older than a year, so i think everything is fine for older smartphones.
    Today I started with Homey and on an iphone 4 the webbased version looks like this.

Did I miss something?