This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey app.

When will the homey app roll out?

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Android is currently in (private) Beta, iOS will follow later.

• So wil the app be avaible when homey ships?

edited October 2015

Android, yes. iOS, not yet, probably, depends on the Kickstarter tier. There's a web-based fallback though :)

• Ok. Thank you! Iam really looking forward to it

• edited October 2015

Is there going to be a windows phone app?

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited October 2015

Emile said:
    We've actually cancelled the development of the Windows Phone app. The speech recognition does not run on it > and the webviews don't support a lot of features we're using, so the experience was actually horrible. So for > Windows Phone, we've decided that the mobile version will suffice, until Microsoft gets their software to a level we > can work with.

• That's too bad, I do have an android and IOS phone so it won't be a problem. Thanks for the quick reply!

• No iOS app when Homey ships?????

Are you guys at least going to send out TestFlight invites to those of us who only have iOS?

• Depends on kickstarter tier??????

• indeed what does that kickstarter tier mean?

• No invites for TestFlight Homey App ??

• Sorry to say, but this can't be! This is unacceptable! You (Athom) should at least release the Homey app for IOS when Homey launches.
    After many months of delay, which is reasonable, the app could be developed without delay. Or am I mistaken?

• How much can people complain? Cmon, give them some time! The last few weeks I can only see whine and complain reply's being made :(

Ofcourse an ios app on launch would be great, but why not just use the webbased version for a few weeks, please keep in mind that this is still a fairly new company, they can not produce like big company's for example apple or samsung with all their experience.

You've chosen to purchase a device from a company originally funded vis kickstarter, this will include the possibility for such delays or setbacks. After all everybody choose this path themselfs after backing them up, lets give them a few weeks and everything will be just fine.

Oh and this is just what i think, and i dont mean to offend anyone with this.

• Thinking the same way :) +1 @p0nts

• Totally agree with you guys, but...
    Because of the lot of hardware sitbacks and delays, there would be more time to develop the IOS app, the windows app is also cancelled, thats why I think the IOS app could be finished within that given time

• Luckily I'm a super early bird backer so I receive my Homey in the last batch so by then the IOS app is available.....

• +1@p0nts

• Hi there! I'm the engineer who is responsible for the iOS app. However, I've been spending the past few months developing the bootloader, the operating system that powers homey and a couple of drivers for the underlying hardware. I've done this in order to minimize the delays that were encountered during the development process, as we thought a small delay for the iOS app was preferable to two to three more months of delay on homey itself. There is a current functioning beta of the iOS app, but the web based app is providing more functionality. Therefore we'll have to evaluate what it would gain if we'd sacrifice (a bit of the) homey core development in order to finish the iOS app, when there already is a good alternative available. If you have any questions, i'll be happy to answer them.

• So true p0nts, I dont contribute that much but I read the forum every day but I'm getting tired of all those people bitching here. Nobody likes delays and setbacks in functionality (me included) but it really doesnt help to whine about it. Let's just support Athom to get the product out there so the community can step in as well instead of creating all this negativity.

• @JeroenVollenbrock: thx for the info. Webinterface on a iPad, ok. But wondering if that will be ok on a iPhone. Most webinterfaces i've seen sofar on other devices don't work that well on a iPhone (to small display). And since we did not have our hands on a Homey yet ..... ;-) .... All those questions arise. So we have to wait a few weeks until first owners ..............

• Thanks for the update. I guess a web interface will be just fine for configuration, and I expect to have most actions done either without user input or by using voice (really looking forward to trying that!)

kasteleman said:
    @JeroenVollenbrock: thx for the info. Webinterface on a iPad, ok. But wondering if that will be ok on a iPhone. Most webinterfaces i've seen sofar on other devices don't work that well on a iPhone (to small display). And since we did not have our hands on a Homey yet ..... ;-) .... All those questions arise. So we have to wait a few weeks until first owners ..............

The 'web-based fallback' is tailored for mobile display, so don't worry.

ericjanvanputten said:
    indeed what does that kickstarter tier mean?

I was a bit unclear I suppose. Because the date of your Homey's arrival depends on the tier, it depends whether the app is published or not, from your perspective :-)

• I also read a lot here and post little. If at the point in time that the focus on developing the iOS app switched to the development of the bootloader and drivers in order to prevent a two or three months delay on Homey in its whole as Jeroen says, an annoucement was made like 'Hey Homeys, we encountered a hickup that potentionaly could cause a two months delay but we countered it by shifting a teammembers focus from the iOS app to the problem so that problem will be solved. Only downside is the delay in development on the iOS app unfortunatly!' Everybody here would have accepted it and understood the delay on the iOS app.
    Now this problem was not clear, let alone the delay on the iOS app which reared it's ugly head just before delivery of Homey and only a day later we get a decent, acceptable explaination of the reasoning.
    This whole discussion is not about delays, it's about communication.

Just my 2 cents.

• (Proper formatting on my previous post got lost when I posted it making it a bit hard to read unfortunatly)

• @Emile: thx for the screenshot. That answered another question. Hoping for a Homey next month......and that murphy keeps away..... ;-)

• To be honest there is not much use of a shiny app if you can hardly control anything with it (apart of some Zwave devices and the hue). If there are missing apps and drivers you cant go far with it. There are many drivers still missing (not even on github) like Somfy, Lightwaverf . The Athom guys will have hard time if they want to get these work before the commercial launch. We are geeks and crazy for such gadgets we are different but a normal customer would return the product straigth back and write negative reviews. Or they will postpone the commercial launch...

edited October 2015

Don't worry, most of them are already working internally :-) We'll announce a list as soon as we've shipped the first Homeys.

• I am not worried. I feel with you, last minute rush, sleepless nights. My point was that the app is important but the not the most important at this point of time.

• +1 @DaneeDeKruyff your wording is exactly what I was thinking.

• Does the app also support voice control? This could be handy if your upstairs and your homey is downstairs and you wanna run a certain command/scenario remotely withouth pushing buttons on your Phone.

This discussion has been closed.