This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

API

Will the API thats used for the mobile apps be a public one?

example: If your not directly planning on a windows phone app, i could make one my self?

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    No, at least not documented, but there is a Web version of the remote as well, so you're free to copy that into a platform you like!
  • To bad your not planning to document it :(
  • I'm sure a wiki will pop up in no-time :)
  • Too bad. One of the main reasons for me to switch to Homey from HomeWizard would be good documentation (and functionality of course ;-)) I' ve written a windows phone version for HomeWizard but due to the lack of documentation and support I stopped developing. I really want a Windows Phone native version instead of the web interface as this works best. I am willing to develop this but in that case we need documentation. Hopefully Emile will change his mind and support the third party developers on the Windows Phone (and Windows 8 as I will be using Universal apps).
    edited February 2015
    I could help you with integration if you want. The app mainly uses documented apis
  • Sounds good. When it is available I will probably get one as the HomeWizard is not a good choice
  • @MatthijsVanDriel:

Probably a stupid question but what would be different for a mobile API or the normal API?
    Why can't your mobile use the normal API?
    edited February 2015
    The mobile API uses some more features such as the cards (which in their turn use the normal API again). I'm very interested in helping Windows Phone developers though.
  • i havent seen any api at the moment :p so hard to say ;) and i asked the question more then half a year ago ;)
  • Has anything/anyone started around/with the Windows Phone development? I would be interested in joining a team.

• Emile, have hou any news over a Windows Phone app yet?

We've actually cancelled the development of the Windows Phone app. The speech recognition does not run on it and the webviews don't support a lot of features we're using, so the experience was actually horrible. So for Windows Phone, we've decided that the mobile version will suffice, until Microsoft gets their software to a level we can work with.

• @Emile: Are you talking about the 8.1 version App or the Mobile 10 version?

• @rscheers: Both actually. Although Edge on Mobile 10 works better than IE on 8.1, it still lacks the features that we would need to make a proper Windows Phone app.

Sadly, until Microsoft improves their webview in Mobile 10 there is very little that we can do, except for encouraging Microsoft to support the necessary features.

• So I understand that (all) the mobile apps will be webviews instead of native apps?

MatthijsVanDriel said:
    So I understand that (all) the mobile apps will be webviews instead of native apps?

No, they are hybrids. The mobile cards are webviews (because developers can make them as well), the wrapper (zone selector, speech etc) around it is native.

• Emile said:

MatthijsVanDriel said:
    So I understand that (all) the mobile apps will be webviews instead of native apps?

No, they are hybrids. The mobile cards are webviews (because developers can make them as well), the wrapper (zone selector, speech etc) around it is native.

ok, tnx for the info

This discussion has been closed.