This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Customs

Hello there!
I'd like to ask how Homey will be shipped, e.g. by which company (DHL, DPD, ...). I'm also wondering how it's declared for customs (with/without VAT). This could have quite an influence on the amount of money I have to pay. When the product is declared as 360€ (without VAT) I have to pay almost 100€ (in Switzerland).
Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Florian

Comments

• Good question Florian!

We ship with the Dutch PostNL to you. They probably hand it over to tnt, the local post office or another company, so we're not sure who exactly delivers it to you in Switzerland. It does not really matter, however, as Homey is shipped from and sold in the Netherlands. This means all European sales already include VAT, as is legally needed. Although Switzerland is not part of the EU, it is part of EFTA, (European Free Trade Association), rendering this condition the same.

I am wondering though. Upon reading online, I saw that Switzerland VAT rates are around 8%. How do you end up paying 100 euros for a 299 euro item?

Best,

Stefan

• Hi Stefan

If the product would not include the VAT and it's around 320 euros, I'd have to pay:

• 15€ customs base price
    • 3% of 320€ customs additionally = 10€
    • 8% VAT on 320€ = 26€
    • Usually "administrative costs" which depend on the transport company. With DPD for example it's around 35€. I just received a package from France via DPD and they really charge a lot.

This would result in 85€.

But in your case, it already includes VAT which is in the Netherlands around 20%? Of course, in that case it's fine for me. Thank you very much for your quick answer. I appreciate a good support!

I'm really looking forward to my Homey!

• I see, thanks for the elaboration! That is a lot of administrative costs! Our shipment will include VAT, but we are looking at the best way to implement this, which may also result in Swiss VAT (Dutch VAT is 21% - quite a lot). However, no VAT payment for Europe residents is needed, so this scenario will in all likelihood not be the case (we do everything we can do to prevent it!)

Best,

Stefan

• Yes, it would be very important to mark the packages at the price we paid, for example in my case, living in Argentina, I have to pay 50% of the value I paid for the product + shipping costs (so long as the package is sent by the "official post carrier" of the sender, otherwise it's more than 100%) and if the value I paid (for which I must provide proof of) is different from the declared value, the package could be stopped by customs and involve a lengthy process.

This discussion has been closed.