This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[App][Beta testing]Sony Bravia(KD, KDL series 2013+) AndroidTV

MarcoFMarcoF Member
edited July 2016 in Apps
Ok!

It took some time to figure things out, but here's the first release of the Sony Bravia KD(L) Android TV app.

I'm not going to make a big opening post, because I think the App's readme on github is the point to be for info.

Found a bug? Missing something in the app or ..... 

Please let me know and I will take a look at.

The app can be found at GitHub:
https://github.com/freemann/com.sony.bravia.androidtv

The app is compatible with:
Firmware >=0.8.38

App-store release?!
Within the upcoming 1-2 weeks (also depending on the submission process of Athom)

known "big" issue:
At some point in time Homey loses connection with the TV. In that cases the TV is not responding anymore on command from the App (Homey). If this happens, the device will be disabled.
I created a App trigger "connection error" and this trigger can be used to inform the user(s) the TV is not responding anymore.
A dirty fix is a soft/cold reboot of Homey and from then the TV will respond for X(X) hours.

Please let me and(!) Athom know your findings on this issue.

Supported TV series:
------------ KD serie ------------
KD-49X8305C  (this TV is tested and probably the whole KD-xxXxxxx serie)
KD-49X8505B  (this TV is tested and probably the whole KD-xxXxxxx serie)
----------- KDL serie -----------
KDL-46W905A (this TV is tested and probably the whole KDL-xxWxxxx serie)
KDL-55W755C (this TV is tested and probably the whole KDL-xxWxxxx serie)
KDL-50W755C (this TV is tested and probably the whole KDL-xxWxxxx serie)
KDL-50W809C (this TV is tested and probably the whole KDL-xxWxxxx serie)

Comments

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    reservation.
  • djeskodjesko Member
    Thank,  will try it tonight 
  • djeskodjesko Member
    i can only find readme.md on git 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Whoops.... Forgot to submit.... Tomorrow morning another day! 
  • djeskodjesko Member
    MarcoF said:
    Whoops.... Forgot to submit.... Tomorrow morning another day! 
    :) 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Code is online!
  • swtttswttt Member
    Is this really limited to sony android tv, or will it work on android tv in general?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    swttt said:
    Is this really limited to sony android tv, or will it work on android tv in general?

Unfortunately the app is specific for Sony bravia. 
  • jordenjorden Member
    edited June 2016
    I like what you did with the progress bar during pairing! Very good idea.

You could skip this step if automatic detection works (which it did for me):
    "Determine the MAC address of your TV:
    • [Settings] > [Network] > [Network Setup] > [View Network Status]"
    So far I tried to start Netflix, power off and on and that succeeded. Awesome job!

Now we are getting somewhere:

If only someone could make the Horizon box start through Homey.... :)
  • jordenjorden Member
    PS: A volume slider would be cool too. I also implemented that in https://github.com/jordenc/com.onkyo and it's not hard at all (as long as it is possible to read out the volume and set a specific volume)
  • fiekfiek Member
    edited June 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Ok!

It took some time to figure things out, but here's the first release of the Sony Bravia KD(L) Android TV app.

I'm not going to make a big opening post, because I think the App's readme on github is the point to be for info.

Found a bug? Missing something in the app or ..... 

Please let me know and I will take a look at.

The app can be found at GitHub:
    https://github.com/freemann/com.sony.bravia.androidtv

The app is compatible with:
    Firmware >=0.8.38

App-store release?!
    Within the upcoming 1-2 weeks (also depending on the submission process of Athom)

known "big" issue:
    At some point in time Homey loses connection with the TV. In that cases the TV is not responding anymore on command from the App (Homey). If this happens, the device will be disabled.
    I created a App trigger "connection error" and this trigger can be used to inform the user(s) the TV is not responding anymore.
    A dirty fix is a soft/cold reboot of Homey and from then the TV will respond for X(X) hours.

Please let me and(!) Athom know your findings on this issue.

Thnx MarcoF for the app. I can't find the link to perform a CLI installation

<edit> found it....
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    Hi guys glad to hear it works :) 

@jorden:
    The Mac adres can be useful for setting up fix dhcp.

The volume slider is a great idea and also looked into that. Unfortunately the TV's api isn't supporting volume settings in the way of sending volume:30 to the TV. The api only supports +/- one volume step.

So it's up to sony to update there api.

If you guys find strange things/etc. please let me know! 
  • fiekfiek Member
    MarcoF said:
    Hi guys glad to hear it works :) 

@jorden:
    The Mac adres can be useful for setting up fix dhcp.

The volume slider is a great idea and also looked into that. Unfortunately the TV's api is supporting volume settings in the way of sending volume:30 to the TV. The api only supports +/- one volume step.

So it's up to sony to update there api.

If you guys find strange things/etc. please let me know! 
    I just installed the app and made some basic flows. Everything works so far..........Keep up the good work !
  • jordenjorden Member
    @Marcof ah okay, that's not a problem here because my router recognizes the name of my TV and uses that instead of the MAC-address. So never mind that :)
  • djeskodjesko Member
    works good , thanks !  

Is it hard to make it start an app ?  like spotify or plex ? 

Dont forget to add donate button in app store so i can donate ! 

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @djesko ;
    Great to hear!! 

What is hard?! If you have some programming skills, then its very doable. The docs are decent and with (a lot) trail and error its possible. 
  • jordenjorden Member
    The TV can export a list of codes it accepts. I saw Netflix in there (which is also built into this app), but no Spotify or Plex (both of which I installed on my TV). So I don't know if @MarcoF can find a way to do that?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @djesko ;
    I misread you post. 

Netflix is a built-in feature of the TV and implemented in the api. As far as I know it's not (yet) possible to start appstore apps. 
  • djeskodjesko Member
    ok , thanks anyway !  
  • keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for making this app! Just installed it, did a quick test and works! (turning on tv). Will test more if the wife does not need the tv.. lol

-edit- Tested a small flow: When speech contains 'serie' -> Turn TV on, WOL media player and (after 5 seconds) change tv input to HDMI2. Works great! :)
  • Hi everyone,

Probably a simple question for you guys: How to install apps that are not in the Athom app store?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    @Hindelaufen ;
    Please see the developers section 

https://developers.athom.com/library/getting-started/

If you have further questions; please ask :) 
  • @MarcoF

Thank you for this helpfull link. I followed it to the letter, but at the last step (athom project --run) the following error message is given:

invalid app folder. Give the folder as argument (--run <path>), or change your current directory to the app folder

Should i be in the same network as Homey?

Thanks

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Did you use "athom project --run" in the app-folder?
    c:\path\to\com.sony.bravia.androidtv

Else try:
    athom project --run c:\path\to\com.sony.bravia.androidtv

• I believe that solved the issue. And at the same time confirmed that I should be on the same network.
    Tonight at home I'll give it another go.

Thanks for your support.
  • Yes you have to be in the same network. And you can use --install if you want to install the app. If you se --run, the app disapears after shutting down your pc where from you started the app.

p.s. the app is stil working over here. :)
  • Hi,
    I have a Sony Bravia KDL- 46W905A . This can I reach with the HTML POST command. I have on my TV not my own pre-shared key, this goes automatically. The app don't find the TV in automatic mode, and I can not manually enter a key, because I do not have one. Does anyone have an idea. 

Lex
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @LexJanssen
    Is your TV a AndroidTV? 
  • Hi Marco,
    Yes it is.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    Ok! Could you post some example http request and/or website with info how to connect to your tv?

Searched a bit on the internet and it looks like your TV is one of the first Sony TV's with "android".
    Its not sold as an "Android TV" and I think it also doesn't have the API onboard which I use in Homey's app.

So I think I can't make the Homey App compatible with your TV.