This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

433 Mhz range

2»

Comments

• FransGFransG Member
    Ik have some troubles whit the doorsensors one at 4 meters working well and one at 6 meters away in the ather direction thats  not working whit homey but swihts a Wall plug thats even farther away 
  • 2Be2Be Member
    It look likes the signal send by Homey has a (very) good range. 
    It seems the recieving of signals (doorsensors, doorbells etc.) is  poor. 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    2Be said:
    Receiving is not directly a Homey issue.
    433 is one way, so if the sender (door sensor, doorbell, weather station) sends at low power then Homey can't receive it.

But off course it can be Homey is bad hearing/receiving ;)
  • ZperXZperX Member
    I am getting similar range with LightwaveRF:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/24565/#Comment_24565

It can be the device and/or the app.

• 2Be2Be Member
    MarcoF said:
    2Be said:
    Receiving is not directly a Homey issue.
    433 is one way, so if the sender (door sensor, doorbell, weather station) sends at low power then Homey can't receive it.

But off course it can be Homey is bad hearing/receiving ;)
    When Homey was on firmware < 0.8.35 recieving was just fine. Now it isn't anymore. 
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited June 2016
    KeepT said:
    Gerjan said:

It look like my 433 range is not to good, I have 2 KAKU Motion sensors. about 4 and 7 meters from Homey. inside walls are between them.  Anyone same issue?

You are correct ;-)
    Your transmit power/range of the KAKU motion sensors is not good...
    (This has nothing to do with the receive sensitivity of Homey btw)

I have experienced the KAKU APIR-2150 has the worst transmit range of all KAKU devices (at least the ones I have) . 
    I used a doorbell ACDB-7000A and a normal remote AYCT-102 to test a location where I wanted the KAKU  APIR Motion sensor.  No problems for my location outside to Homey inside. 

After pairing and testing the APIR inside, I placed it outside and no signals coming through to Homey. 
    despite the remote or doorbell use a small CR2032 3 volt battery and the APIR uses two 2 AAA 2x1.5 volt it's range is terribly short. I think that is because they want to sell Range Extenders.....  

I fixed it myself the cheap, fun and easy way: open the APIR, and add a decent 16,8 cm antenna ;-) inspired by this blogs:
    Both Dutch : 
    - http://td-er.nl/2015/01/14/antenne-mod-acm-1000/
    - http://td-er.nl/2014/02/22/verbeteren-antenne-homewizard/

Hi GeurtDijker,

Would you be able to share or explain where you soldered the antenna specifically.
    I opened my 2150, but cannot identify the antenna. There is no label with 433 on any of the chips. Is the metal hook in the first the antenna, or is it just to protect the sensor/plastic cover on the front. And if so, where then is the antenna situated?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @KeepT
    I guessed the Metal hook in front is the antenna, optimal it should be 16,8 cm i think but this one is way to short. I Removed it and soldered a thin wire of approx. 17 cm. (mine was somewhat to short after soldering, make it initially a cm longer and cut it after soldering. )

I have no signal meter to test, I would like to know is the upper or the lower point is the best to attach the antenna but I guessed the upper one as that copper track goes somewhere. the other only has some capacitor and/or resistor parallel to the antenna. 

Above the picture of your original antenna, Below the pictures of my mod:

• I did this mod. A couple of meters more range, still not satisfied but gotta live with it. Does the job for now.

Thanks for the guide!
  • 433 Range should be better with software 1.01, but no difference here.......
  • @Gerjan, did you check for interference from other devices, cables etc etc?
    http://td-er.nl/2013/10/31/kaku-ervaring/
  • @Bas, I checked wat i could, distance between Homey and movement sensor (KAKU)  4 and 8 meters (2 devices)

When placing the movement sensors closer it works. Looks like Range problem.

I do not know what to aspect anymore. The test i have seen from Athom was very impressive. Far better then real world so it looks. Maybe Athom can do the test again, with the newest firmware, so we know wat to aspect.

Or maybee other sensors, but wich one? wich type, wich protocol?
  • Zwave is always better though a bit more expensive... Also, I notice a big difference between battery-powered devices and 220V-powered devices with KaKu. Do you have any of these?
  • I have 220 V Kaku switches, and battery (sensors)
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited December 2016
    Gerjan said:
    @Bas, I checked wat i could, distance between Homey and movement sensor (KAKU)  4 and 8 meters (2 devices)

I do not know what to aspect anymore. The test i have seen from Athom was very impressive. Far better then real world so it looks. Maybe Athom can do the test again, with the newest firmware, so we know wat to aspect.

@ gertjan,

my experience is that if you turn the sensor or switches for about 45 , 90, 135 degrees the distance between homey increases. something with the antenne inside, I think

and for the sensors, make sure that batteries are okay. Everything here stops working (KAKU) if there is a sensor with almost empty batteries.

• glijie said:
    Gerjan said:
    @Bas, I checked wat i could, distance between Homey and movement sensor (KAKU)  4 and 8 meters (2 devices)

@ gertjan,

my experience is that if you turn the sensor or switches for about 45 , 90, 135 degrees the distance between homey increases. something with the antenne inside, I think

and for the sensors, make sure that batteries are okay. Everything here stops working (KAKU) if there is a sensor with almost empty batteries.

@ glijie,

batteries are new, tried Duracell and Ikea.

I dit some further test, Problem looks like the signal receiving of Homey, when i test the switches (on and of trough the web interface in Homey) the switch works fine (mouted behind the normal switch 6 meters with 2 walls.)

When I check the incoming signal of the 2 motion sensors, both work on short distance < 3 meters fine.

> 3 meters they stop working
  • I placed my homey in such position that I know there is the least intervention, no extra cables from other phones or audio equipment enz..,  no metals, at least 50cm from other sensors.

sometimes I turned my homey about 10 or more degrees. and so I did find the best formation for KAKU stuff.

Don't forget a lot of movement from the KAKU motion-sensors can also be a cause of intervention.

more I can't think about what the cause can be

patrick

PS: Not only the movement sensors need good batteries bus also contact sensors with low battery can cause a lot of intervention.

• glijie said:

I placed my homey in such position that I know there is the least intervention, no extra cables from other phones or audio equipment enz..,  no metals, at least 50cm from other sensors.

sometimes I turned my homey about 10 or more degrees. and so I did find the best formation for KAKU stuff.

Don't forget a lot of movement from the KAKU motion-sensors can also be a cause of intervention.

more I can't think about what the cause can be

patrick

PS: Not only the movement sensors need good batteries bus also contact sensors with low battery can cause a lot of intervention.

Homey is located in the center of the room, (on a tabel next to the couch) with no kabels or other equipment next to it.

question is, dit Athom fine tune 433 yet? is this the best range we wil ever get? If so we can  move on to other solutions, now we are left in the dark.

• Is there a way to debug the range of reception on 433Mhz? I've got some devices which loses connection to Homey. But my domoticz installation which is located futher away from those devices does keep connection to those weather sensors.
  • kukeltjekukeltje Member
    edited July 2017
    what also seems to make a huge difference (and yes, domoticz is most likely also influenced by this but maybe has a better reception) is having thermopane glass in between the sensor and Homey.  The heat/warmth/sun reflection glas decreases the distance a lot, especially if the signals not enter at 90 angles. Will try adding an external antenna to my sensor.