This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Flags Flags Flags!

(please implement!!)

Flag systems are lists of info that homey collects. Other flows can call on this info. The list values change during the day (and during prolonged use.)

Value's Homey can collect:

• if you speak he knows you are near, and therefor home. "Home flag on"
  • motion sensors also indicate that you are home."Home flag on"
  • schemer sensor tels homey the lights level. Lights can respond accordingly. But it also prevents multiple triggers during sundown. (very annoying)
  • contact sensors can inform homey a door is open. In sequence I could calculate if you are leaving the house or getting home.
  • agenda appointments can inform homey that you are not home. "Home flag off unless...."
  • Weather information.
  • temperature

Flags prevent multiple triggerings of the same sensor. I've noticed this on motion sensors and schemer sensors. If a flow is triggered by a flag in stead of a sensor (sensor triggers the flag) it can only turn the flag on a second trigger does not change the flag status. After this the flag can be turned of ether after a certain amount of no activity or some other trigger. Very handy for motion sensors.

informing homey that "there are pets in the house" (pet flag) could automatically turn of the motion sensors.

Flags could also be used to activate or deactivate multiple flows preventing false triggers. For instance: Already turned on the lights manually? flag lights on in the living room, suppress schemer-sensor that notices its getting dark and wants to turn of the lights.

Color and Dim value flags can be used as a reference for the lights. That way homey can set multiple lights to the same preset value for that time of the day with a specific dim level. If this flag change would have a force effect it could change the lights gradually throughout the evening. Maybe even linked to the current weather.

Not having anything like this in homey at the moment is driving me nuts on numerous flows.

Comments

• casedacaseda Member
    edited May 2016
    This is already implemented, it's called:
    Variables 

Edit: Except for the light part, there is no way to change the color of the lights according variables, but this is not a variable thing, It (still)  needs to be implemented in the (for example) the hue app
  • SpawnreaperSpawnreaper Member
    edited May 2016
    Mmm variables do not work the same way.
    Variables don't work with a list. So its harder to manage in my opinion.

• casedacaseda Member
    Variables are the same way, just take a look at the "better logic app" in the app store.
    It is given in a nice "list" way like you want it.

The default logic (variables) will get an update pretty soon to be more viable/edible as well.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Apart from variables, there are some default "flags" but we just don't know which. @emile mentioned something about temprature which is an average calculated from mutiple sensors?
  • @caseda Installed it, but I do not see the "list" you think I mean. 
    I just would like an information list that can be looked on to by every flow. A self determined list of variables that is being altered by several logical flows during the day based on time, temperature, mood, weather, proximity, and custom situations.
    The "better logic app" to me looks like a normal box like all the others and is just a bit more complex then the basic one.
    There is no/ or I don't see any overview of variables that are active or inactive at the time.
    It misses clarity that the vlag sheet would provide. I even think that a flag sheet needs to be an entire different element just like flows and devices but influences both.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Soon™ the Flow Editor will support global variables you can drag and drop in any field. So for example a variable 'time'. Or a variable 'thermostat temperature'. And you could then use the Flow Editor's math feature to calculate an average value. 
  • Great Emile, will you be able to make custom globaal variabeles?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Homey already supports this, that's what we are saying above... If you want to see them (not just use them) you should install Better Logic but you'll have to wait for 0.8.35 as now it's not possible to create variables due to a bug.
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited May 2016

@emile What's this 'Soon' I keep hearing about? :D

• Soon is Trademarked, according to Emile  :D
  • I would like to trademark 'impatient' Emile. :smiley: 
  • @Emile Will you be able to make custom globaal variabeles?
  • The Better Logic app can do this while u wait for the new flow editor?
  • jovinkjovink Member
    edited May 2016
    The Better Logic app can do this while u wait for the new flow editor?
    It is not posible to use variable in a app. Like the smarter coffee or thermosmart. 
  • jovink said:
    It is not posible to use variable in a app. Like the smarter coffee or thermosmart. 
    Why is that?
  • Good point Rocodamelshe. Can't see the better logic app to set any basic variable that is accessible by other flows.
    Are there any video's on how to do it, if its possible?
  • casedacaseda Member
    It will take another flow, but it is very possible to put a variable from the better logic app to the default logic app. Just do something like:

[IF] variable is changed (better logic one) 
    [THEN] set variable: tag(value). 

The default app is already global thanks to:
    {{$variablename}} 
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited May 2016
    Maybe i totally misunderstand ur question but with the Better Logic app in the link i posted above it is possible to set variables in the most possible ways u like?
  • jovinkjovink Member
    jovink said:
    Why is that?

Maybe i totally misunderstand ur question but with the Better Logic app in the link i posted above it is possible to set variables in the most possible ways u like?
    But how can i add a value  to my thermosmart or coffee maker?

• I don't know what values the Coffee maker accepts. 

For the ThermoSmart the Slider is already discussed 
    I guess it is already on their list to change it to Cards with values, an other solution is also requested here:  
    slider is really annoying #5  

I guess it is also possible to fork the code on Github for the thermosmart App to create a card with value filed in an updated app.
  • How are the "global variables" coming along? any progress?
    @Emile ;
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    @Spwanreaper : Both me and others already explained how to use the "global variables" you ask for.

I think you'll have to be more specific. You want a global variable called "temperature" then you can create one or two: "temperature inside", "temperature outside" etc etc... "pets in the house" would require a different sensor (perhaps bluetooth?) of RFID and a corresponding flow? You want to set a light level with a variable? That's a specific question (which has been asked before), don't know if there's a github issue for this already?
  • Well its a feature request. If there is a global variable section in the homey web interface then I missed it.
    Smile said there where plans to make something for that.  
    Because of alle the question marks I will explain the idea again.

Create a separate section.
    in the section give an option to set value's. Example: level % name "light level" or code. name "colour" or yes or no. named "home"
    Al these levels can be changed by flows. example: At 20:00 set "global variable" "light level" to 40%.
    If you can set the lights on "global level" then all light can just look what level (and colour) they need to be set on.
    You would probably say: "Well why not just make a flow for every time you want to change the light level and color and manually set all of them to the level you want?" Well, my way is cleaner. and you only need one flow that change the values of lights to the global level. If you want to change something in my setup you only need to change one global level instead of 8 different ones in one or more flows.

Setting a global variable home "yes or no" can be influenced by, motion sensors, voice commands, running media stuff like that.
    This yes not value an be used as a variable in flows "only run if global home setting is set to yes. 
    I am sure there are ways to  make something that will function the same way, but personally I think people would find it easier to use like I explained. More user friendly.

The reason I posted today was just to ask Emile if there is progress on the "global variables" since he said they where working on it.