This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

any 'Shipment & Software status'- update?

Comments

• BasPostBasPost Member
    edited May 2016
    Why is everybody complaining like a little child?! You know what you bought, an beta product. Yes I know there are a lot of delays, but Athom also knows that.
    Give Athom some time, it will take a couple of months to polish the software, before it gets stable.
    you have 3 choises  
    1. Receive your Homey as beta and submit bug reports and stop wining about it had to be stable yet.  
    2. Cancel your order and stop wining it is taking to long, a real tweaker knows these kind of products takes some (long) time to fully work.  
    3. Wait for the retail experience and stop winking that it takes so long.  

Escpecially those people how haven't have a Homey yet are complaining the most. Have patience.  

My Homey is running ok on 0.8.32 with lots of apps and flows and most of the time it is pretty stable. Once in 2 a 3 days I have to reboot or do a power cycle, but he! it is a beta product which I was warned for. I have the beta-pre-order Homey.
    I have also Domoticz which is my main controller for 1,5 year and I'm waiting
    for to shift to Homey as main controller when it is stable enough, which I can wait for.  
    For the people who knows me, I'm a very impatience person!  
    So once again, like many others said before, stop polutting this forum and contribute by discussing bugs and errors, so we can help Athom.  
    That said, I do agree with that comminucation could be better from Athom regarding bug handling and update frequency, so that I can contribute and hel Athom more often.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    My homey is also not crashing, but almost all protocols are in some way crippled and that makes this great Beta product almost useless. 

For example its fun to play a sound if you press the KaKu doorbell sender, but the WAF is very(!) low if that sounds starts 4/5/6+ times and Homey generates a horrible sound.
    I really want to use Homey with zwave modules so I could test more things, but if all my modules are dead... testing is impossible. 
    Sun info is great and most of the controllers on the market uses it. My Homey still isn't able to turn some lights on at sunset ends. 

The Beta flag is very nice and please keep in mind that Gmail was also in Beta for 5,5 years. Most of these years 100million+ people used it.
    So Beta doesn't mean that everything is allowed and a Beta can take a long, long time and also a Beta can be very stable.

Homey now is 6 month in open Beta. Don't expect a stable/retail experience for within 3-6 months.
  • @MarcoF: You do realize that Google and Athom can not be compared with each other by a long shot, right? Next, I dispise that you use the word 'still'. Homey is new on the market, a few months in customers hands is by no reasonable definition a long time.

If you don't like the sound Homey makes, plug it out of the socket. If you don't want to use Homey right now, throw it in the closet and wait 6 months. But please, stop whining about everything that is not working on the forums (with a side note that informing instead of whining is something else completely. I believe this is the 3rd or 4th time that I see a post of you on this forum that your doorbell isn't working. Athom knows it.).
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    pfffff and again its not possible to tell a different story :smile: 

"Still" is subjective.

Homey's software is, a big gamble, in development for 2(?) years by a team 6+ great devs.

Sun is not working for more then 6 updates.
    KaKu "debouncing" was already "fixed".

Issues are being made, issues are being closed, issue stays.
    Then users are going to look for different ways to communicate/tell whats going wrong.

And if Athom tells us more about what is going to be fixed, what is high on there todo list, then people will stop whining.

issue is reopened;
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/540

So for now I will stop "complaining/whining" about it.

also big lol to see that when i didn't had a Homey is wasn't aloud the complain and now I have a Homey I'm still not aloud to complain....

Let wait and see....
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    MarcoF said:
    pfffff and again its not possible to tell a different story :smile: 

Still is subjective.

Homey's software is, a big gamble, in development for 2(?) years by a team 6+ great devs.

Sun is not working for more then 6 updates.
    KaKu "debouncing" was already "fixed".

Issues are being made, issues are being closed, issue stays.
    Then are going to look for different ways to communicate/tell whats going wrong.

And if Athom tells us more about what is going to be fixed, what is high on there todo list, then people will stop whining.

Don't blame @athom as I earlier stated maybe it's you're expectation that's to high.
    So tired... 

Bplz back on topic
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    expectation management....

If a issue is closed with; "fixed in x.x.x"
    Then users expect its fixed.....

And after seeing all these great walk through movies/demo, my (and reading the forum a lot of others) expectations were high. 

+1 to go back on topic!
  • It's called experimental! I had hoped they release it 2 days after 0.8.32 and 2 days after that the next etc.
  • At my work they completely redeveloped the information system. It took them seven years with a huge team of developers, coders, software engineers etc., costed over 25 million USD and it is still not working. On top of that they invented nothing new, they only rewrote something that was already there. 

Probably not a very good comparison but still, Atom is doing pretty well in my opinion. I think it is an amazing achievement to put so many protocols in one product and at the same time being so versatile and open. Of course it is not working perfectly. Athom never pretended that it would work flawlessly from the very start. Yes, it can be frustrating that one has to wait longer than expected, but come on, in potential it is a great product with an almost unlimited range of home automation options. From my experience as a programmer I know how complex developing can be, especially if you have implement so many third party technologies with zillions of variables.  

I think we all must have some more patience and give the guys some encouragement. Complaining and whining is so easy and not what these guys deserve.

Keep on going guys, you are doing great.

• For the upcoming update : 

From slack : 

- Complete mobile rewrite (super duper awesome, also for developers)
    - Lots of stability updates (still didn't find the cause of the freeze though)
    - Apps to Apps communication
    - Speech session (so Homey talks back through the smartphone - or any other client you might hack together)
    - Temporary fixed flow scrolling
    - UI improvements
    - Sunset/sunrise fixed (also more conditions like it's night)
    - App watchdog that kills misbehaving apps (5s of more than 80% cpu usage or 5s more than 100MB ram)
    - Some Z-Wave fixes (before we do the rewrite)

:smile: 
    Hopefully they will release this week. 
    I'm missing better IR recognition  :'(
  • I agree. I started coding for Homey and when I see what they did put together it already working great.
    My Homey has never ever been stuck or did a spontaneous reboot!
    As stable as hell.
    Even if my debug session is interrupted because of dead battery on my laptop (for example) it al just reconnects and without errors or anything just continues to log.
    Now that's great work in my opinion.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    At my work they completely redeveloped the information system. It took them seven years with a huge team of developers, coders, software engineers etc., costed over 25 million USD and it is still not working. On top of that they invented nothing new, they only rewrote something that was already there.
    You must be working for the national government... because as far as I know, that's the only company stupid enough to start up an IT project without a clear agreement on what has to be delivered, and for what price... which means it's a huge milk-cow for the IT company, without any incentive to finish it on time, or within the budget. You're right, not a very good comparison at all.
  • HansieNL said:
    That's on my TODO-list after a the new iOS and Android app, together with the Bluetooth LE apps API. If only I could clone myself ;) IR is one of those thing that is very hard to do right, because there is so much difference from device to device, and there is a legacy of decades to support.
  • Bumblez said:
    At my work they completely redeveloped the information system. It took them seven years with a huge team of developers, coders, software engineers etc., costed over 25 million USD and it is still not working. On top of that they invented nothing new, they only rewrote something that was already there.
    You must be working for the national government... because as far as I know, that's the only company stupid enough to start up an IT project without a clear agreement on what has to be delivered, and for what price... which means it's a huge milk-cow for the IT company, without any incentive to finish it on time, or within the budget. You're right, not a very good comparison at all.
    I hope its a govermental department or you may be looking for a new job in near future :wink:
  • Luckily I am not working for the government, but this company behaves in a similar way. It is a multinational with too much money and a lot of stupid managers. And even though they can hardly go bankrupt I indeed am looking for another job. It is very hard to see how they are throwing piles of money in the bin because of political reasons.
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    Luckily I am not working for the government, but this company behaves in a similar way. It is a multinational with too much money and a lot of stupid managers. And even though they can hardly go bankrupt I indeed am looking for another job. It is very hard to see how they are throwing piles of money in the bin because of political reasons.
    maybe @athom <3

• superice said:
    HansieNL said:
    If only I could clone myself ;)
    Maybe you can put on sheep's clothing and change you name to Dolly? ;)
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    superice said:
    HansieNL said:
    I'm missing better IR recognition
    That's on my TODO-list after a the new iOS and Android app, together with the Bluetooth LE apps API. If only I could clone myself IR is one of those thing that is very hard to do right, because there is so much difference from device to device, and there is a legacy of decades to support.
    Thanks for this update, @superice! This is the kind of info from Athom that I wish we'd receive a lot more of! At least now we know where we stand, what to expect, and what the priorities are.
    (btw, I think for most users the IR improvements should have a higher prio than the Bluetooth LE apps API)
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    You are so right @Bumblez ;
  • Bumblez said:
    superice said:
    HansieNL said:
    I'm missing better IR recognition
    That's on my TODO-list after a the new iOS and Android app, together with the Bluetooth LE apps API. If only I could clone myself IR is one of those thing that is very hard to do right, because there is so much difference from device to device, and there is a legacy of decades to support.
    Thanks for this update, @superice! This is the kind of info from Athom that I wish we'd receive a lot more of! At least now we know where we stand, what to expect, and what the priorities are.
    (btw, I think for most users the IR improvements should have a higher prio than the Bluetooth LE apps API)
    Indeed! and why must i read from a user here, what he had read from @emile on Slack what the next update fixes are? Why don't update also the forum users about this.
  • Bumblez said:
    superice said:

I prefer the Bluetooth stack though... for IR we have the Harmony hub haven't we ;) With bluetooth a lot of devices could be read (like my BeeWi stuff, fitbit and what not) and it just might make presence detection a lot easier too... 

• Does this forum support a pol?
    I would like improvements on iR  :)
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    The Bluetooth LE Apps API can be found on Trello (and can already be voted for). If they add a line for the IR improvements there as well, then people can vote on that as well... then it should be easy enough to see which one people are most anxious about...
  • jordenjorden Member
    I am more looking forward to Bluetooth and the new possibilities that come with it ... To me it's a bigger thing than IR.
  • Bumblez said:
    The reasons to prioritize Bluetooth LE over IR are simple: BLE is almost done, and shouldn't take long to implement the last parts for, and that is something developers can build tons of apps on, including stuff that will be useful for other parts of Homey, like the 'at home'-detection of users with iBeacons. IR on the other hand is harder to improve, will take more time, already has a (sometimes / kind-of) working system in place, and isn't something people are likely to build loads of apps for.

I'd gladly delay IR improvements for one or two weeks if that means that developers (both from the community and in-house) can start building Bluetooth LE apps parallel to my IR improvements. I hope you guys understand.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.  Unfortunately, that does mean that IR improvements are at least a month away... I too wish you could clone yourself  ;)
  • Bumblez said:
    Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.  Unfortunately, that does mean that IR improvements are at least a month away... I too wish you could clone yourself  ;)
    Not necessarily ;) I've just made some generous estimations to prevent sad faces when I don't have anything ready within 3 minutes :tongue: 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    Okay, we'll see how it goes. I definitely prefer to get the more pessimistic estimate and be pleasantly surprised to find it finished sooner, to getting an optimistic estimate and then having to accept several delays...
  • jordenjorden Member
    @superice Your 3 three minutes start NOW. :wink: 

No really, I am looking forward to the documentation of the Bluetooth to see what new apps I can come up with :)
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @jorden Who said anything about documentation? Writing the documentation will be done AFTER all the other remaining issues are fixed  ;)
  • casedacaseda Member
    @Bumblez ;
    So happy you are not in charge.

Without documentation there will be no apps being created for Bluetooth by the community.

But the documentation will probably be created along side the api so it will not cause any extra delay because of it.