This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Screensavers

KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
edited May 2016 in Apps
Status: Currently unsubmitted, feel free to test via github below!

Version 0.0.1
Add screensavers to your Homey!

Currently available screensavers:
- Rainbow on 10% intensity
- T.I.F.F.-like floating
- Energy-saving rotating pixel (choice between white and red) on 2 speeds

Change the screensaver in settings -> LED ring.

If you have suggestions, post them here! Please also test and provide feedback.

I am heavily limited by the fact that the ring can only be rotating or standing still as far as I know (but they can rotate both ways....).

Github: https://github.com/kruimel0/martens-screensavers

Comments

• casedacaseda Member
    But if the led can rotate in both ways, shouldn't it be possible to make it go back and forth (aka knight rider) by changing the direction every 1 or 2 seconds? (it takes 4 seconds for a complete cycle)
    or would this ask too much of of homey
  • caseda said:
    But if the led can rotate in both ways, shouldn't it be possible to make it go back and forth (aka knight rider) by changing the direction every 1 or 2 seconds? (it takes 4 seconds for a complete cycle)
    or would this ask too much of of homey
    The way screensavers work (as far as I know now) is:
    - you set a rgb value to each of the 24 pixels
    - you set a couple variables that determine the rotation speed of the ledring.
    - neither of these can be altered after the app has started (in the case of screensavers, that is after the app has installed/updated) 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Installed it and it works ok! 

Maybe you could add a "very low brightness red energy-saving rotating pixel on 2 speeds"?
  • MarcoF said:
    Installed it and it works ok! 

Maybe you could add a "very low brightness red energy-saving rotating pixel on 2 speeds"?
    Sure. Is the lowest speed what you more or less wanted from the other thread? It looks very slow to me, but if people want it, who am I to exclude it? ;)
  • Cool stuff, not able to test it right now but will be installing this for sure .. :+1: 
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    Works ok here also.

Like the White Slow Sleep :)
  • jordenjorden Member
    I like what you did there!

PS: Nightrider is actually Knight rider.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @KoenMartens ;
    The slow speed to me is good! Its moving, but not noticeable/irritating slow/fast and the fact that its moving means that Homey is not in a frozen standstill.
    White is only a bit White and red is more relaxing color.

Let us known when we can update :wink: 

• djeskodjesko Member
    nice , thanks 

White slow sleep it is :)
  • jorden said:
    I like what you did there!

PS: Nightrider is actually Knight rider.
    Ooops... Never watched it. Changed.
    MarcoF said:
    @KoenMartens ;
    The slow speed to me is good! Its moving, but not noticeable/irritating slow/fast and the fact that its moving means that Homey is not in a frozen standstill.
    White is only a bit White and red is more relaxing color.

Let us known when we can update :wink: 

Updated. I made the red led at 10% intensity, looks weird otherwise.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    Red-light-d..... :mrgreen: 

Downloading at the moment.....

downloaded the new source and uploaded it, but no 10% red sleep.
  • MarcoF said:
    Red-light-d..... :mrgreen: 

Try again
  • Great work! Love it!
    just tried the different options and I like them!
    The light intensity of the rainbow at 10% and the default slider at 1% is great! Wouldn't mind if all others were available at 10% :)

Just curious, would it be possible for the rainbow to be even lower in intensity?

And don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to see a temperature slider for the white variants, kinda like the one in the hue app if you're familiar with it.
  • Great work! Love it!
    just tried the different options and I like them!
    The light intensity of the rainbow at 10% and the default slider at 1% is great! Wouldn't mind if all others were available at 10% :)

Just curious, would it be possible for the rainbow to be even lower in intensity?

And don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to see a temperature slider for the white variants, kinda like the one in the hue app if you're familiar with it.
    It is possible for the rainbow to be even lower in intensity, sure. I will think about the temperature slider, in theory it's possible, I'll see if/how I can implement it.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Red-light-d..... mrgreen 

Try again
    Bingo!
    The reds are looking great!!

[edit]
    Slow red is a bit stuttering. I guess you use the same code for red and white so maybe its the color which causing it.
  • Thanks @KoenMartens !!!
  • KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks @KoenMartens !!!
    Just added 3% rainbow (if you re-install app), but I don't like it. The low intensity causes the whole thing to become really 'blocky'. @MarcoF: I think the slow red is stuttering for the same reason. Let me see if I am right, and if a slightly higher intensity fixes it nicely.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't seem to help in the slightest. Perhaps it's caused by 3 sub-LEDs that work a bit nicer together in white compared to only 1 sub-LED for red?
  • Works Great !!! Thanks!!
  • The way screensavers work (as far as I know now) is:
    - neither of these can be altered after the app has started (in the case of screensavers, that is after the app has installed/updated) 
    you can update animation with `updateFrames(frames)`. see https://developers.athom.com/library/ledring/
  • TaxandriaTaxandria Member
    edited May 2016
    http://sean.voisen.org/blog/2011/10/breathing-led-with-arduino/   the effect from the tut above, on 1 selectable led please!

Would be awesome 

• This Guy is knowing how to work with leds too! Keep u the good work!
  • MatjaLipu said:
    The way screensavers work (as far as I know now) is:
    you can update animation with `updateFrames(frames)`. see https://developers.athom.com/library/ledring/
    I'll have a look later today, might just work.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    This morning Homey was still slowly spinning red smile 

Great app!
  • djeskodjesko Member
    HI , after a reboot the led switched to rainbow from slow white. 

Anyone having the same problem ?   

great app 

Niklas
  • djesko said:

great app 

Niklas
    I actually haven't tested that, but it might be that the rainbow is the default screensaver after a reboot? Can you change it back in the settings to slow white without any problems?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    It looks like the original Rainbow is the default after reboot.
    Switching back is no problem, changing the default would be nice(no idea if its possible)
  • djeskodjesko Member
    djesko said:

great app 

Niklas
    I actually haven't tested that, but it might be that the rainbow is the default screensaver after a reboot? Can you change it back in the settings to slow white without any problems?
    No problem like MarcoF says to change it back.

Will you make it possible to change screensaver in flow ? 

Thanks
  • djesko said:
    djesko said:

great app 

Niklas
    No problem like MarcoF says to change it back.

Will you make it possible to change screensaver in flow ? 

Thanks
    It's by definition not possible to change screensavers in flow, as the screensaver is the LED ring that shows if no LED ring is shown via a flow.
    I can, however, add all screensavers as 'very long but finite length' of LED animations to be used in flows, but you should take into account that every time another LED animation occurs (f.e. if Homey is listening), the LED animation is returned to the screensaver. You can of course probably counter-act this by making a flow that if Homey stops talking, the LED animation of your choosing is shown again, but this might hinder incorporation of apps that have LED animations for other things.
  • jordenjorden Member
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    COOL!!!!