This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

How does Homey handle Fibaro Shutter device

Hi there,

In my Vera a Fibaro Shutter device shows up showing current watt-usage, and Open/Close button, and Up/Down/Stop button AND a percentage-bar which you can drag to let it start/stop on the right % or showing how far open/closed it is.

In comparison, how does Homey handle this device? What does it show? Is it all in one place? Can you do the same as in the Vera?

Thx in advance for your answers,

Grtz,

MvdH

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Can you post a screenshot?

• OGSOGS Member

I have the same question and not only for fibaro roller shutter but also for RGBW unit, powerplug, dimmer and universal unit.
    The roller shutter looks something like this (first graphical display picture on the PDF)
    http://www.fibaro.com/manuals/en/FGRM-222/FGRM-222-EN-A-v1.00.pdf
    It is a bit different on the Razberry but similar. As I am on holiday I don't have pictures

Greetings
    Olaf

• OGSOGS Member

Did you try with all the fibaro modules that where in the box (on one off your pictures)?

Olaf

• Emile said:

There you are: https://goo.gl/photos/wQvFZKTvT3Thx7p2A

• OGSOGS Member

Found a way, hope this works but this is as it shows on Razberry.
    http://pho.to/9ZN5D

• OGSOGS Member

And this is for the RGBW unit
    http://pho.to/9ZN6K
    And also for dimmers
    http://pho.to/9ZN6n

• Fire69Fire69 Member

Emile said:

Should we be worried you need a screenshot for this? You don't have an interface for this in Homey already? You said Z-wave devices should all work out-of-the-box.
    (sorry if I sound a little sceptical but I just found out yesterday that the almond+ is basically going to be abandoned, so I'm a little worried about kickstarter projects right now...)

• I'm a developer myself (hobby) and also like to see other apps and screenshots to get ideas.
    I would be to worried. They 'proved' enough to have the confidence it will be shipped (imho of course).

• RobinVanKekem said:
    I'm a developer myself (hobby) and also like to see other apps and screenshots to get ideas.
    I would be to worried. They 'proved' enough to have the confidence it will be shipped (imho of course).

Think you mean "wouldn't" be too worried. :-)

I haven't made the shutter 'mobile card' yet, but the idea is to make it vertically dragable, with a few quick access buttons.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

A slider (horizontal or vertical, that's not important unless you have a graphic of a window :-)) and an up/down/stop should do it.

• No not only up/down/stop but also tilt of a venation blind.

• OGSOGS Member

In the z-way interface (razberry) it is indeed vertical dragable with some buttons and that is very convenient in setting the blind half way because you don't have to watch it.

• Athomey said:

RobinVanKekem said:
    I'm a developer myself (hobby) and also like to see other apps and screenshots to get ideas.

Think you mean "wouldn't" be too worried. :-)

Yes, sorry.

• @Emile: When I read this discussion, knowing the problems other home automation (zwave) systems have: give the community the proper tools to add (new unknown) devices and customise their user interface. 1st: You don't have the capacity to do this inhouse for all the new modules that arrive on the market. 2nd: lots of users use their devices for everything else but the intended use.

So one thing would be to have a central database where you collect technical data from the devices in use. When an unknown device is detected, let the system ask: please user let me make a scan of this device and upload it to Athom for futher investigation. And next: user can you supply me some extra technical information about this new device. (Send me the manual) But also in the other direction: it would be great if the system would inform us about all the special registers in the module that can be read or write (these registers mentioned in the hardware manual you always loose). Information that can be supplied by the community as well.
    What you don't want (what most other systems do) is to wait for a firmware update before you can use a new device. (And wait for a next update, to get some but not all problems fixed) So maybe an online update service for devices, or a connection to the central database??

Regarding the interface; you always start with a generic card for your specific device. But give the user a simple UI editor where he can make his own custom cards. So if you want a vertical slider instead of an horizontal: "go your gang". If you want your buttons to have custom texts or icons: fine. This not only requires a a set of configurable UI object that can be used, also a set of hardware functions to link them to. Why not upload cards so others can use them. Just let the user do whatever he wants: don't try to do it yourself.

So again my advice: give the community the proper tools for handling zwave devices. Not only will it save you a lot of time, but also a lot of complains from the users. Hardware support is besides stability the major problem in zwave-land.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

+1 regarding the hardware. That's why the Almond+ is failing miserably right now, there are hardly any device updates at all (next to the other basic functionality, but that's less important for the moment)

• +1

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

Some months ago i had an chat with @emile where i discussed allot of points @pkarreman mentioned in his post. Emile couldn't believe that there are compagnies which Push there product to the market and are let customers wait on firmware updates for new zwave products work on there device.

So i believe athom has, also on this point, created something awesome for us!

On the other side @emile couldn't believe other compagnies won't inform there customers on new updates,compatibiliteit issues/updates etc...
    But the reality is that athom is, also giving us almost no information or let the community fix the issues/wishes.

I hope homey will be more than i hope it to be, but for me it now looks like Athom is just as the other compagnies in the business....

I hope to receive homey as late as possible so compatibility issues are solved and most of the bugs are smashed :)

@MarcoF, I don't think that's entirely fair. I always respond within a few days, because next to this forum I also have to run a business, manage a development team, design and code a lot myself as well. I'm not really sure what else there is to share. A lot of information about how 'user-oriented' Homey is can be found in the Developer documentation as well. For example, regarding the cards:

By default, Homey ships with a lot of mobile cards. If you really want to overwrite this, or need to add your own card, you can do so by creating a folder mobile in your driver's folder.

Source: https://developers.athom.com/library/drivers

And if you read the paragraph above, you can see device-specific settings, which allows Z-Wave users to enter device-specific parameters :)

@pkarreman, Thanks for your suggestions! These 'DIY' cards are something we're not going to support however, as it's incredibly hard to get right, and I don't think it adds that much value for now. I mean, if you really want a horizontal slider, well, just code your own card then :) I love your other ideas though!

• kriebelkouskriebelkous Member
    edited July 2015

But the reality is that athom is, also giving us almost no information or let the community fix the issues/wishes.

I hope homey will be more than i hope it to be, but for me it now looks like Athom is just as the other compagnies in the business....

This is a real cheap shot.. all you have to do is look at the timestamps on @Emile 's replies to know they are working their asses off. Of course it's dissapointing that there is delay or that some functions are still not documented. But the priority now should be to deliver what was sold. And that takes allot of hard work and cannot be done without hitting some bumps on the way..one cannot create something new with a known timetable or roadmap. Your post is not contributing to a better product in any way... It only demotivates all people working their butts of for this product.

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited July 2015

Chill out my friends. :-)

Ofcourse there is some (some!) delay. Athom is not to be compared with those rusty, dusty, slow old companies. It's a kickstarter with the energy of a pack of young wolves, and thus also sometimes with unexpected turn of events. But not the experience AND not the rustyness of those established companies, and sometimes a little more unexpectednesseseses. Which is EXACTLY why we love Athom. You can't have it both ways. :-)

So far they are very open (more open than I would have dared), which is transparent, but also lets you see all the unexpected things that happen that a soft- and hardware company has to solve! The alternative is that they don't tell you anything, and thus not disappoint anyone. Don't want that, right?

Second thing, ofcourse, I also want custom cards designer, I want everything in version 1, etc., etc.. It's simply not possible. They HAVE to choose and then improve soft- and hardware revisions later on.

So far Athom is doing VERY well with Homey. They are learning fast, showing that to us and have good contact with their community. The fact they deliver (a little) late has NOTHING to do with not working hard, with cheating or with anything bad....it's simply a matter of some unexpected issues which have to be solved. Good for them and they SHOULD deliver even later than that, working a little less hard... I know for a fact they work more than is healthy for them.

So, there is nothing left then but positive-criticism and patience for us. ;-)

((Try running your own soft- and hardware company first, as succesfully, or find competitors that do it better, and THEN you have all the right of the world for such harsh criticism.))

My 2 cts... :-)

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited July 2015

I don't mind a little delay either, especially if it means a better product in the end. :-)

About the sharing more, things about delays should maybe be shared more proactively?
    And a screenshot once in a while wouldn't hurt, just to keep us drooling a little ;-)

• With kickstarter (some) delay is almost inevitable. An new company, which is new to mass production with a new product, expanding to a new team.
    If you don't want that, there is only 1 option. Go to the local electronics store and buy an off the shelf solution.

Rather have a delay of 2 months than receiving a product which crashes on first boot and needs 3 updates before it works again

ow and @athomey +1

This discussion has been closed.