This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Acces

Question, How does Homey keep commands from different persons apart?
We live in a house with multiple adults and some children. we all are anxious to get Homey, but we were wondering how does Homey tell the difference between all of us and how can we create a "child proof" Homey?
Is it possible to 're-name' Homey so the children won't change programs all the time and we don't have a fight via Homey? Now a days we just hide the remote, but we DON't want to hide Homey.

Comments

• Good one, maybe use a system where the nfc chip is involved (kind of like a check-in and out system in the train).
    You get home, check in at homey with your nfc and it grants you all commands until you "check out"?
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    As of now there is no way for Homey to differentiate between users. That is of course something we're hoping to support in the future, but it's really, really hard!
  • I'm sorry if I offend someone with my opinion but my remotes are all reachable for my kids. So is the DVD player itself etc.
    It's just a matter of teaching them not to use them.

As for security: maybe a simpele solution would be possible like starting with a pin code or something similar?
  • That problem is solved once Homey "knows" its users. Not that difficult, but off the main track.
  • That could be the answer. My children dont use the remote, if Homey is able to learn who is who in the house en we can set ruels for Homey, who is allouwed to do what. It would open the oppertunity for us to keep Homey child friendly and not that during an arument the lights go on and off.
  • MRLMRL Member
    Is Homey already able to recognize multiple users? (My girlfriend and I want to use Homey)
    If so, do jou have to 'check in' to be recognized ?
    And if i have visitors, are they automaticly excluded?
  • The longer I think about it, the more I think this will be a issue in the future.

Maybe it's smart to start thinking about it (together, in the community?) what will be workable solutions.
    As a side note: it will be impossible to please everyone.
  • MRLMRL Member
    edited January 2015
    It would for me a real deal breaker when it is not possible. Let's face it, it would be strange when only 1 personen could communicatie with Homey. And how should the 2nd person (my girlfriend) at home communicate? For me it's only a buy when multiple persons can communicate with Homey.
    Can anybody answer my question?
  • Who said only 1 person can communicate with Homey?
    The question in this topic is the other way around... By default, Homey will listen to everyone! People here are asking to limit that by 'identifying' the people who talk to Homey and 'ignore' some people or only accept limited commands from them.
    For now, you have two options: let everyone control Homey's non-secure settings by voice, or disable it alltogether.

I have some good news though: the trigger technology (Hey Homey) that we use does have support for user recognition. We do however have to adjust our software a little bit and test how good it works before we will push the update.
  • MRLMRL Member
    edited January 2015
    Okay. Clear! So it's a buy for me!
  • That sounds nice!
    Have you done tests with that already? If so, what's the accuracy like? :-)
    Not yet, we're currently optimizing the software for trigger recognition first. Their demo was really good though.
  • Cool, that would be really nice indeed
  • That's a really nice update!

Let's face it, you would want your friends who come over to mess with your domotica.
    Another simple solution would be a quick option to disable voice (for a certain amount of time?)!
This discussion has been closed.