This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey unable to connect to wifi

Comments

• I too saw the localhost name pop up. The MAC address above looks like mine: 6c:ad:
    In my router setup I have given that MAC adres it;s own IP. Inj my case 192.168.1.124

Doesnt't work... but i do have the feeling this is putting me in the right direction...!
  • Just got home and am busy setting up Homey. What I have found is that if you are connected with an IPv6 address and using your ISP's IPv6 DNS then the homey setup will not complete. To solve this i changed my DNS servers in my router to the google DNS servers which forces my router to use the IPv4 google DNS. Once this was done the setup completed with success and Homey is now updating.
  • First time Homey didn't connect to Wifi. Did it again: Works!

So patience and determination :smile: 
  • Same here, couldn't connect in the first place. Tried again. And again. And again. And then suddenly, green light with spoken confirmation that connection succeeded.

Now waiting for.. dont' know.. green light is fading in/out and setup page isn't doing much either. Seeing it in my router settings that it is connected (and can browse to the local IP address). But no much help their either...
  • I managed to connect... after 8 hours of swearing and  retrying.

As I did so many things, one of the flowwing was the 'key', I
    - changed the wifi password to lower case
    - updated Google Chrome browser (on my Mac)
    - removed parental control from my router (DNS server address!)
    - gave the Homey it's own IP from the DHCP list, via it;s MAC address  (but still shows localhost)

Homey took a while to download a 70MB update. It stayed purple for about 5 minutes. Now it is a rainbow colour, probably waiting for action

Now I am trying to create an account at my Athom, that seems to be the next hurdle...

Anyway. I have a new light in my house (just kiddin')

To be continued!
  • @Eternity good to hear.
    Could be that OpenDNS (or the Netgear equivalent) was the pain in the ass...
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited April 2016
    @Eternity good to hear.
    Could be that OpenDNS (or the Netgear equivalent) was the pain in the ass...
    except for chrome-version, I've seen all solutions come by in the forum before...
  • Chrome is supported and safari not. 

Apple Chrome is Safira with the chrome skin. 
  • after turning back to 5 ghz on my laptop it went on 
  • Worked for me after 2 attempts
  • Worked for me after 3 attempts.

After the second attempt i disconnected my router and my Homey from the power and turned it on again. After that it worked for me.
  • Recieved Homey Yesterday. Lookes great!
    I tried to connect all evening. At first Setup page kept on refreshing for ages. After disconnecting Homey, finally found the page with wi-fi setup. 
    I have 3 wi-fi routers, but on none of them Homey is connecting. After some time Homey announces that it could nt connect to wi-fi, and thatś it so far. Tried every router at least 3 times.
    Tried lower case SSID name, password, etc. Have Google Chrome updated.
    This evening i will pick it up again.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited April 2016
    @BasVanDenBosch ;;
    Thanks for contributing. I hope you do realize that after waiting for such a long time, people are eager to setup their Homey. If the first hurdle - connecting to the www - fails, it is disappointing. You are stuck and can't explore the Homey any further.

@Michelbliek
    Although I might have had that rare case of two simultaneous errors in 1 go, I think that what caused my connecting issues was a DNS problem. In my cade the DNS addresses were not issued by my ISP, but OpenDNS. After disabling Parental Control (and all the other stuff I tried, including re-powering the Homey a lot), that was the last " big"  change.

As you have 3 routers - I bet not all the same models - it most likely is a modem setting (not a hardware issue). Check DNS and set it to Googles temporarily (8.8.8.8).

Good luck!
  • I had the same problem last night with setup up my homey. On my pc it couldnt connect to my wifi but when i restarted the setup on my phone it worked fine. Might have something to with incryptions on pc, but at least it worked that way
  • AppieAppie Member

I had the same problem with Chrome and a MacBook Air. When I tried using my iPhone with Safari, I immediatly got a connection. Only negative aspect is that the screens were not displayed correctly in Safari.

• 2mv2mv Member
    Yep, it also did not connect to my wifi. I'm using a chromebook, Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite and a Ubiquity Unify AP UAP.
    There is absolutely no reason not to connect to this wifi.
    After trying a few times it just connected. In the meantime nothing was changed.
    So I could just say, if you have this problem, just keep trying.

This setup thingy should definitely be improved.
  • Hi,

Tried changing DN, but i always use the Google DNS servers anyhow.
    That didn solve the problem.

What did, on all routers was changing the protocol from 802.11 B/G/N to 802.11 G/N.
    I had this earlier with a linux gateway and Homey connected right away.
    Changing it back to 802.11 B/G/N had no effect, and homey keeps connected.
    Maybe it helps somebody, and thanks for your support!

Eternity said:

@Michelbliek
    Although I might have had that rare case of two simultaneous errors in 1 go, I think that what caused my connecting issues was a DNS problem. In my cade the DNS addresses were not issued by my ISP, but OpenDNS. After disabling Parental Control (and all the other stuff I tried, including re-powering the Homey a lot), that was the last " big"  change.

As you have 3 routers - I bet not all the same models - it most likely is a modem setting (not a hardware issue). Check DNS and set it to Googles temporarily (8.8.8.8).

Good luck!

• Failed here too, about five times, and then suddenly it connected. Did not do anything different, was completely random. I aso noticed that the timeouts on the failed attempts varied wildly. One time i got the "failed" audio message within 30 seconds, another took at least 5 minutes.

After that a 70ish mb update, and now i've been looking at a purple ring for over 10 minutes. I really hope this is normal... itś not talking to me either.

Love the lights though :) 
  • 20 minutes can easily be needed...
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    Same issue here. Homey refuses to connect to my WiFi network.

My (Netgear) router provides 2 wireless networks... 2.4GHz g/h/n and 5GHz a/n/ac. (both WPA2-PSK [AES])
    Homey (setup) doesn't appear to detect the 5GHz network, so trying to make Homey connect to the 2.4GHz one... but after entering the network password in Chrome, after a couple of minutes it always returns with "Sorry, I could not connect to that WiFi network".
    All my other devices have no problems whatsoever connecting to that very same network, so I have no idea why Homey has issues here. Based on info in this and another thread:
    - I added Homey's MAC address in my router and assigned a static IP address... doesn't help.
    - I tried setting the password to a simple lowercase one without special characters... doesn't help.
    - I tried doing the setup (with Google Chrome) from my PC (Windows 7), and from my (Android) phone... neither works.
    - I changed the DNS on my router to 8.8.8.8 .... no change.
    - I tried using both the SSID of my 2.4GHz network as well as the one of the 5G network... neither works.

I've been at this for more than 2 hours now, and I'm all out of ideas. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2016
    @Bumblez ;;
    Homey doesn't have a 5ghz chip onboard so that is why it can't find your 5ghz network.
    Maybe you need to turn off the 5 ghz in your router for the moment while connecting your homey, atleast that worked for me,
    and have seen it multiple times that that was the trick for some people.
  • fuzzybearfuzzybear Member
    edited April 2016
    Bumblez said:
    Same issue here. Homey refuses to connect to my WiFi network.

My (Netgear) router provides 2 wireless networks... 2.4GHz g/h/n and 5GHz a/n/ac. (both WPA2-PSK [AES])
    Homey (setup) doesn't appear to detect the 5GHz network, so trying to make Homey connect to the 2.4GHz one... but after entering the network password in Chrome, after a couple of minutes it always returns with "Sorry, I could not connect to that WiFi network".
    All my other devices have no problems whatsoever connecting to that very same network, so I have no idea why Homey has issues here. Based on info in this and another thread:
    - I added Homey's MAC address in my router and assigned a static IP address... doesn't help.
    - I tried setting the password to a simple lowercase one without special characters... doesn't help.
    - I tried doing the setup (with Google Chrome) from my PC (Windows 7), and from my (Android) phone... neither works.
    - I changed the DNS on my router to 8.8.8.8 .... no change.
    - I tried using both the SSID of my 2.4GHz network as well as the one of the 5G network... neither works.

I've been at this for more than 2 hours now, and I'm all out of ideas. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

What DNS are you using? Changing to the google DNS seemed to help for me. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Sorry to quick typing just read you have tried that allready.
  • @caseda ; I tried what you suggested, and disabled the 5G network in my router... no change. Homey still won't connect.
  • Just a couple of suggestions, not sure if this works but maybe it's worth a try:
    - disable QoS in your router if you have it enabled
    - disable MAC filtering

My router is using the following settings, maybe one of these makes a difference:
    - 20mhz, not auto or 40mhz
    - channel 6
    - WPA2 personal with AES encryption
    - Ssid visible, not hidden
    - WPS is switched off

Hope this helps...
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    I made a little bit of progress... I changed my SSID to lowercase, and set the password to lowercase (no special characters). I then rebooted Homey, it saw the lowercase SSID, and this time around, I get a different error:
    "Sorry, I could not reach Athom's service".

(unfortunately, that only happened once. All subsequent tests, using the same SSID and password, resulted in "Sorry, I could not connect to that WiFi network" again...)

@row_houweling - I made the changes you suggested, rebooted Homey and gave it another try... still no go :(
  • JvdTJvdT Member
    Had similar problem, rebooted couple of times.
    Then held it upside down for a couple of seconds while powering up.
    Then it worked. Oh and I used an iPhone instead of my Windows 10 phone
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited April 2016
    @Bumblez which router are you using?
    Do you have parental controls enabled (e.g. OpenDNS)? If so, disable

@Fire69 mentioned today on Slack that the following solution was reported (in Dutch) on Tweakers:
    fire69 [9:27 PM] @weejewel: have you seen this post by Tebbie over at Tweakers?
    [9:27] 
    Ok eerste probleem meteen opgelost. Wifi connect lukt niet. Blijkt dat homey tijdens de setup een dhcp request doet en meldt dat hij "localhost" ipv bijv "homey" oid. Ik heb een asus rtr en die vindt een dhcprequest met een naam localhost niet leuk en kapt ermee. Heb nu een dhcp reserve gaan van een ipadress en er keihard een naam "homey" aangegeven in mijn asusrtr. Wederom reboot homey en nog een keer setup proces doorlopen. Nu overruled dhcp server de naam "localhost" met de naam "homey" die ik vastgelegd heb.
    [9:27] 
    -Maybe this is causing the wifi problems lots of people seem to be having?

• @tedTolboom ; I I have a Netgear router (R6300). Parental controls are already disabled. And yeah, the localhost issue was mentioned in this thread as well. I assigned a static IP address to Homey's MAC address... doesn't make a difference.
    I've given up for today... will try some more tomorrow evening, once I'm back from work.

• I am also not able to connect to my wifi. I am using an AVM Fritzbox 7390 router.

I have tried:
    -using Crome on two differnt computers
    -removing special characters from my Wifi SSID and turning it visible
    -using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. as DNS servers
    -switching off my 5GHz Wifi

All of it did not help. Any suggestions?

Reseting Homey while it is in setup mode does not work. I do not hear any countdown or so. However, when I reboot it upside down, the ring starts red and turns purple after a few seconds. Then nothing happens. Does that mean it did a reset?
  • For me the trick was getting a win10 laptop (64bit) & Updating Chrome.
    After that is was up and running.
    Yesterday i tried the same with a mac with Chrome, and running VMware (XP/W7) and i was unable to connect.
    Hope this helps