This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Aeon Multisensor 6: has anyone managed to pair it with Homey?

JonJon Member
edited April 2016 in Devices
I have the Aeon multisensor 6, newest Z-wave sensor.
When I try to add to as a 'device' and put it in learning/inclusion mode, Homey recognizes a Z-wave device but when trying to pair it, it says that it can only add it as 'on/off' device.
Has anyone of you (perhaps @Taco ?) actually managed to use it as a sensor (so getting temp, humidity, light, motion, etc) ?

Comments

• Please check the list with supported device at www.athom.com 

:heart: 
  • JonJon Member
    @MarcoF Firstly, thanks for your response. But on www.athom.com there's no such list to be found (at least not me).
    Secondly: it's a Z-wave device so you should be expecting it to work. At least, that's what I have understood from Emile a few weeks ago on this forum.
  • I have successfully paired this sensor, didn't have to do anything special to make it work.
  • JonJon Member
    Hi @RobertLijkendijk that's great to hear. So you pushed the 'action button' on the Sensor's corner when you were in the adding-process of Homey?
    Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more how you got it to work?
    Thanks in advance!
  • edited April 2016
    Hi @Jon   I just clicked the + button to add a device, choose z-wave and pressed the button in the corner on the back of the sensor to put it in pairing mode. It took like 20 seconds or so to add the device. I gave it a more friendly name so it is easier to recognize, and checked to see if device type "sensor" was selected. That's all smile 

Perhaps I can try to remove it and re-add the device and film the process, but that will be tomorrow night then!

Just thinking out loud: Perhaps you can perform a reset action on the sensor first before you try to add it again? Might be it has some association in it's configuration and that's why you can not add it again? Don't know if you used the sensor before or if its brand new?
  • JonJon Member
    @RobertLijkendijk it was brand new. I haven't paired it with anything before.
    So now I have it, under devices, showing as a z-wave device but when hovering, there's no X-sign to delete it there. Now, when I go to the settings section and go to 'Z-wave' on the left panel I am trying to remove the node there, which I succeeded in. But it's still showing in the devices section, where again I don't seem to be able to remove it.

It's very frustrating that I don't know how to recognize the 'learning mode' of the Aeon. Do you remember what color the Aeon's Led needs to be and how to get it to there (how many seconds to press the action button)?

Thanks again :smiley: 
  • When Homey was in inclusion mode I just pressed the action button briefly.

This is from the Multisensor manual:

Resetting your MultiSensor.

At some stage or your primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may also wish to reset all of your MultiSensor’s settings to their factory defaults. To do this, press and hold the Z-Wave Button for 20 seconds and then release it. Your MultiSensor will now be reset to its original settings, and the LED will stay solid for 2 seconds and then turn off as a confirmation.

Pairing.
    Press the Action Button on your MultiSensor.

You can test if your MultiSensor has been successfully included into your Z-Wave network by pressing its Action Button. If you press the button and your sensor’s LED is solid for a few seconds, then inclusion has been successful. If the LED blinks when the button is pressed, the inclusion has been unsuccessful
  • JonJon Member
    Yeah, have read that too.
    If only they would explain in which colors.... Because the led can get Red, Orange, Blue-ish, Green,...
  • JonJon Member
    edited April 2016
    I have tried it again, and the inclusion itself worked (like it did before) but still with the message:
    "Het Z-Wave apparaat kon niet geanalyseerd worden. Het apparaat is toegevoegd als standaard apparaat met aan/uit functionaliteit."

By the way: as for the removal of a Z-wave device: i now understood that this works through the settings section, so I have removed the Aeon sensor. But succesfully pairing so it's recognized as a multisensor did still not work...
    Do you recognize this @RobertLijkendijk ?
  • No @Jon ;as described earlier I do not recognize this behavior. Perhaps @Taco ;can shine a light on this one?
  • I managed to get it working half before the .25 update. After .25 Z-Wave became instablere with every new version.

Interviewing fails at most devices now. Deleting hangs, z-wave hangs . Reboot to default does not help.
    @Taco Any update in some log file or view window we as a user can see how many and what errors are being produced.

It looks like every update more of my z-wave devices are failing to join.

• The Aeon Labs Smart Switch 6 which is in github supposed to be fixed also fails with interviewing.
    Never got this simple switch to work in none of all the versions.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    If I understand @Taco right, the support Z-Wave Plus device should be fairly easy and straight forward, but in some cases there's an App needed for complete Plug&Pray.

So maybe there's a App needed for this device(type)?
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited April 2016

I was able to add it last night, and have Motion (though named Generic Alarm), Luminance, Temperature and Battery working.
    I only tried the Generic Alarm yet in flows and that works (see notice below) will try the other sensors later. In Insights I get Generic Alarm, Luminance and Temperature

I did however add it 'secure'. To do that, you have to push the 'Action Button' twice. After that the interview started and the led on the sensor lights up blue (instead of green when not secure)

These are the settings I use:

Data

4,1,1: Enable Motion Sensor

5,1,2: Send Sensor Binary report

Also notice, after a motion is detected, by default, a counter starts to count down 4 minutes before any new motion information is send to the controller. If there is movement within those 4 minutes, the counter is reset. You should be able to reset this counter by setting parameter 3 but I was not able to get that working (3,2,15 should set that timer to 15 seconds for example)

Also, to make sure all information is send to homey you could try to set parameter 101 to 241 (The sum of 1,16,32,64,128)   This parameter has a length of 4 so the data would be: 101,4,241 (This last one is described in the manual that comes with the sensor)

More info on the specific parameters for this device:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1403/configs?noFilename=True

• JonJon Member
    Thanks so much @DaneeDeKruyff, adding it in secure mode might do it then. Will try it later today when getting home.

• You can test if your MultiSensor has been successfully included into your Z-Wave network by pressing its Action Button. If you press the button and your sensor’s LED is solid for a few seconds, then inclusion has been successful. If the LED blinks when the button is pressed, the inclusion has been unsuccessful

This part is not so clear in the manuals, I found out a succesful non-secure paring will show a solid green led for 2 seconds en when data is send the led lights up green. When there is a succesfull secure paring the led shows solid blue for 2 seconds and blue again when sending data.

When the pairing is not succesful the led doesn't really blink but cycles through available colors (like the Rainbow on homey itself)

• @DaneeDeKruyff ;
    What a configuration is need to get this work.....

I think;
    "We need a app for that!"

Big +'s to you!! 
  • Well, I'm not entirely sure all those parameters are needed, the one I know for sure is the 5,1,2 to make sure binary data is send. The rest I just put in to make sure the values are set to what I wan't them to be but they may as well be the defaults.

I think I, and perhaps others with me, was a bit misunderstanding the way the sensor operates. When you look at a regular PIR it will act on any movement, but at movement detection this sensor starts a 'cooldown' timer before action is taken to report another movement.
    Any detection of movement resets that timer, so if it's activated once and there is movement during the cooldown timer the sensor takes no action untill there is no movement for at least the duration of the cooldown timer (4 minutes by default)
    When configuring it I had this sensor laying on the table facing up and the detection angle is so wide it kept seeing me move when sitting behind my laptop (so the cooldown timer was constantly resetting). I went over to the couch because ther was an item on TV I wanted to watch and when I walked back to my laptop it actually fired the flow I configured so that made me look into what was actualy happening and I figured out how it works.

• But! My Vera configures sensor automagicly that all sub sensor are working OOTB.
    Homey is way newer and I would expect Homey pairs the sensor in such way the work OOTB and especially when it's a ZwavePlus sensor. 

JustMy2Cents
  • JonJon Member
    Hopefully @Taco can help us out here?
  • Well, I guess homey could also be doing this automagicaly if for every combination of manufacturer ID, Product Type and Product ID the needed changes with respect to the defaults are used automatically (when applicable).

I think other domotica product such as your Vera have a headstart there, but don't think it's impossible to catch up to them.

• TacoTaco Member
    Custom configuration for devices for a better OOTB experience is definitely something an app will take care of.

Zwave Plus introduced the lifeline association group, so you don't have to manually make an association and look up with which group. 
  • JonJon Member
    Taco said:
    Custom configuration for devices for a better OOTB experience is definitely something an app will take care of.

Zwave Plus introduced the lifeline association group, so you don't have to manually make an association and look up with which group. 
    Okay, but to make it more practical for current Aeon Multisensor owners ;) : how can we make sure that the sensor is correctly paired without having the aforementioned issues?
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited April 2016
    @Taco, ; any news on the complete Z-Wave crash when interview of Aeon Labs Smart Switch 6 starts ?
    Github still shows its fixed. But it breaks Z-Wave on both my homeys the same way. You dont even get as far as being able to put some config in it.
  • Jon said:
    Taco said:

Okay, but to make it more practical for current Aeon Multisensor owners ;) : how can we make sure that the sensor is correctly paired without having the aforementioned issues?

The sensor is paired correctly and you (the end user) need to configure the sensor right to make sub sensors available. 
  • JonJon Member

I did however add it 'secure'. To do that, you have to push the 'Action Button' twice. After that the interview started and the led on the sensor lights up blue (instead of green when not secure)

Too bad, but this did not work for me: no difference between adding it in secure mode or regular mode. @DaneeDeKruyff, may I ask when did you do this (for the last time) and on which firmware were you?
  • Same problem here Jon
    Workd once then stayed death, same as is has done since .23 of the firmware release
  • Yeah, too bad. I added it yesterday, I'm on 0.8.29.
    I tried adding it just now again, after removing the node, rebooting homey, resetting the Z-wave network and resetting the sensor (holding the action button down for 20 seconds until the led is solid green) and I can add it again without a problem (secure, didn't try non-secure)
    On the device I see Generic Alarm, Luminance, Temperature and Battery as expected. In Insights I see Luminance and Temperature, so no Generic Alarm right now.
    I've added the 5,1,2 parameter, will see if the Generic Alarm will show up and report back.
  • JonJon Member
    edited April 2016
    I tried adding it just now again, after removing the node, rebooting homey, resetting the Z-wave network and resetting the sensor (holding the action button down for 20 seconds until the led is solid green) and I can add it again without a problem (secure, didn't try non-secure)
    Just performed exactly that, same order, same stuff. But no further result than "Het Z-Wave apparaat kon niet geanalyseerd worden. Het apparaat is toegevoegd als standaard apparaat met aan/uit functionaliteit."
    Really, really frustrating!

By the way, @DaneeDeKruyff, for how many seconds (approximately) does it tell you "Interviewing Device' or 'Apparaat analyseren'? Here it's something like 30 seconds... (after which it gives the above stated message).
  • Hhhm I got that error when I tried adding it non-secure. Did you try this by clicking once or twice (what color was the led on the sensor?) btw, my homey is still on English, don't think it matters, but I mention it anyway.