This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New Homey won't listen, bad boy

Hi,

Today I have received my homey :) Unfortunately homey listen very bad and need some training. I have done in the settings "Improve Ok Homey accuracy" but even this I repeated my self 30 times saying "OK Homey" and it was always saying you are talking to loud. When I whisper it is saying to much background noise.  But after trying around 30 times it did once heard my voice. Apparently Homey hates my voice and is very picky.

But I am stubborn and tried to complete this setup and finally after saying many times saying "OK Homey" it was finished.  So I hoped that when I say "Ok homey" "Please turn my lights on" it executed my flow correctly. But bad luck. Again by repeating my self 5-10 times it works.

My kids where also very enthusiastic to say something and tried also to say the same sentence, first in Dutch but I explained to them they need to talk English :( But how hard they try, no response from Homey at all. So frustrated they went away.

So I really hope this sound processor will be improved fast. Because I was very glad I did receive Homey but it is almost useless because it won't listen always... This is the basics of the device and should be working flawless with all kind of different voices.

But I must say in cases it recognize my speech it works nicely. And gladly I have a beta product so it is allowed to have issues.

So please guys from Athom, make this number one prio!!   I mean the whole family would like to talk to homey. They cannot wait when I am at home to turn on the lights or watch tv :smiley: 

Comments

• tunftunf Member
    @MarcelTimmermans did you update to 0.8.29 ? there where a lot of great speach fixes in that (beta) build. Also using words is good but using more then 1 can be problematic as you can find in other posts.
  • tunf said:
     as you can find in other posts.
    Correct!
  • At the moment if you set the language to Dutch, it will work much better is my experience...
  • DennisDeJagerDennisDeJager Member
    edited April 2016
    For me, in dutch it does not respond to anything. In english it only responds to built in commands like 'whats the time' and 'turn lights on'. 
    I got my flows to work properly, and my kika blinds and lights to work, so there is enough for me to play around with!
  • Home only tells the time with me, all other command I get a white ring and nothing... :(

Even lights on and off dont work...
  • I have the same issue, learning my voice is not working, either to loud or articulate better (i'm 50% UK Person). Or noisy environment (only I'm in the room). This needs to be looked at, it is the main part of Homey. (For me at least)
  • Works here,  light on / off, color set on milight,  time and news app. 
  • If you don't sit too close to Homey, it works better. I myself put Homey approx 2.5 meters away and it listens quite well to 'OK Homey' (even though the text that it hears varies a lot in quality).

If you go to http://<localip>/manager/speech-input/ you can see what Homey has heard / how it has translated your voice to text. You can also enter your texts there, ideal for testing purposes.
  • Welcome haha I think I will get back after a month or so because it is starting to feel like deja vu. Same topics same complaints of 2 months ago haha. No worry new guys nothing against you :)
  • EdTstEdTst Member

Homey doesn't listen to children, or women.

It does listen to men, but it doesn't understand them.

The advertising said 'Talk to your home', but it never promised it would listen to you.

• Funny thing happened: I went to bed, and resetted the Homey, everything was back again (Flows/devices) and Homey listends now.
    Ok, it is vulnerable to surrounding sounds, and I have to remove it further from the TV, but I'll keep on trying it. Still a great device.
  • PimBliekPimBliek Member
    edited April 2016
    Here it is responding to OK Homey out of the box, but it misinterprets a lot. Also, only the builtin commands seem to work, most of them (as far as I know them, the new website with manuals would be a huge help here!). But commands for apps generally fail, except for the Chuck Norris jokes :)

I tried the speech improvement wizard but after 20 times trying to say OK Homey in different volumes and intonations I gave up.

P.S. only tried English so far.
  • i have got a nice coloured led light but that's about it. It doesn't respond to my voice.  it says there too much noise in the room and i am speaking too loud. I moved it 4 meters away but still Iam shouting?  it doesn't even answer my question what time it is.  I have rebooted 10 times. I have changed languages,  it 's updated to the last version. i don't know what to do anymore apart form watching these nice colours. 
  • Wait a few hours, that solved it for me. And afterwards I did a reset. Can't explain why it works now.. 
  • tunf said:
    @MarcelTimmermans did you update to 0.8.29 ? there where a lot of great speach fixes in that (beta) build. Also using words is good but using more then 1 can be problematic as you can find in other posts.
    Yes, I have.
  •   If you go to http://<localip>/manager/speech-input/ you can see what Homey has heard / how it has translated your voice to text. You can also enter your texts there, ideal for testing purposes.
    That's a nice tip. Didn't know that.

• At the moment if you set the language to Dutch, it will work much better is my experience...

I have tried this also. But I have more or less the same result. And when Homey replies it speaks very bad Dutch :)
  • By the way, does someone know how to turn down the volume of the Homey voice?
  • Put a piece off ( plakband ) over the loudspeaker, or better 
    make a flow: when.... You Said anything, then..... Set volume, only from 1 to 10 % .

• honeyhoney Member
    Your speech goes through Athom`s server and sent to various speech to text services/engines. Which ever of these service respond the fastest that result is sent back to Homey. We suspect that the fastest is not always the best. Your voice could be interpreted by different services at different times. This might be reason why you get different accuracy.
  • tunftunf Member
    Put a piece off ( plakband ) over the loudspeaker, or better 
    make a flow: when.... You Said anything, then..... Set volume, only from 1 to 10 % .

The volume can be set on a scale from 1 to 10 so 10 is 100%
  • Doesn't listen to me at all, extremely disappointed. speech input shows all kinds of crazy, so no wonder it doesn't work. Reminds me of Dragon Dictate, anyone remember that? 

Perhaps I had my hopes up for Google / Apple reliable speech interpretation :neutral: 
  • There is a big difference between all the HOMEY's for now.
  • I have to say I'm positively surprised about trigger recognition. Even my 5-year old daughter can trigger it with a few tries. I'm at 100% unless two people are talking at the same time.
  • Well for me, trigger works, but recognition is a waste of time. That and the fact very little seems to work, IR recognition for a start... Comparing it to Google voice search within Chrome which nearly get's it right 100% of the time, Homey have 100 times more work to do, to make this a viable product.
    In the Flow manager select Speaker, and set it to the volume you like.
    In the Flow manager select Speaker, and set it to the volume you like.
    Have you tried to set volume to 34 ?
  • honeyhoney Member
    @Emile @Athom Would it be possible to have a setting where the user could untick certain speech2text services. Don`t need to be named by the service could be Service1, Service2... It could also help you to gather statistics from it.

Would it possible that homey could connect to these services directly instead of going through the server? Would it improve the speed and service reliability?
  • honey said:
    @Emile @Athom Would it be possible to have a setting where the user could untick certain speech2text services. Don`t need to be named by the service could be Service1, Service2... It could also help you to gather statistics from it.

Would it possible that homey could connect to these services directly instead of going through the server? Would it improve the speed and service reliability?
    And state at the speech_input window which Service has analyzed the speech please :)
  • The speech-input is a good tip, but it makes it even more frustrating... I thought my English wasn't that bad, but homey only listens to 'ok homey' and hardly ever understands what I say...then I get the white ring, which seems the same as giving me the finger... Changing languages didn't help... hopefully there will be a speech update, but this way Homey isn't going to stay long in my home... I know it is a bèta product, but I expected a little less bèta than this.

It does look nice! :smiley: 
This discussion has been closed.