This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Basic instructions in the Box + chrome + cable..

nixxnixx Member
edited April 2016 in Archive
First of all, thanks for finally sending it! I'm eager to start using it. I really like the build of the sphere!
Just some questions/suggestion I'd like to comment on that seem odd from my personal point of view.
3 things I notice with the first impression:

1- maybe i missed something.. but would have been good to have some start- instructions in the box or app.
It took my a while to figure out that after updating etc and being presented with an empty in-app screen I had to go to chrome to be able to add a device..
Why isn't this possible to do in the app itself, or mentioned in the app to add devices once you login in to my.athom.com.
Perhaps also good to have "login to my athom" button on the homey.com homepage.. as I looked for it there before reading the forum start up guide.

2- why only chrome? I really dislike that browser as it's annoying and don't use it ever. Firefox is much more flexible for my daily use.
 I understand avoiding IE, but chrome only is a bit brutal =)
The funny thing is that when I pass the login screen I can just copy the link back to firefox and most (seems to) work normally.
------------------------
ok.. just read another post about it being easier to support one browser etc etc. .. so that's cleared up =)

3- the accompanied USB cable seems a bit off =)
It's basically lifting up the Homey unless you bend it like crazy.. and then there's this cylinder part along the cord..
Besides that it's the old mini-usb plug. which nobody uses anymore and the only alternatives around are dusty and black...
I'll have to see if a new white cable with corner connector plug can be bought to connect the homey in style.

Sorry, okay, point 3 was a complaint.. I guess there are reasons for it.. and I'm really picky for these things, so it's forgiven, but would have been awesome to get that detail right too ;)

Point 1 and 2 are really suggestions, no complaints.. just seemed odd and I can image it's overseen as you've been working on it so long that certain things make sense that are to be discovered for the new users.
But again, it's my personal point of view.. so please discard if not shared by anyone =)

Comments

• Welcome to the forum :heart: :smile: :wink: 

• nixxnixx Member
    edited April 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Welcome to the forum heart smile wink 

thanks =D

• Try using the search function or read the forum at first. All your complains/feedback has been mentioned before
  • I reckon that point 2 is only temporary. As soon as it leaves the 'beta' status they probably have a Firefox and Safari version, and maybe maybe Internet Explorer and Edge compatibility as well.
  • Dountill said:
    Try using the search function or read the forum at first. All your complains/feedback has been mentioned before
    But nothing has been done with it so I think the complaints are still valid...
  • complaining isn't fair!!!
    Its a highly unstable and Beta Kickstarter project.... 

Give the guys some space, the have worked there asses of for the last 2 years!
    The can only solve one issue at a time....
  • @MarcoF ;
    Complaining is "fair". It helps Athom improve. How can they know what to improve if nobody tells them?
    Complaining = feedback = good.
    Whining about it sucks though. ;)
  • Whining about Whining..... I like it  :#
  • As far as I'm concerned, these are all good tips to help Athom improve.

Until now, mostly the 'geeks' have been playing with Homey. Geeks don't mind figuring out stuff on theirselves. However, as of this week also 'non geeks' received their Homey. They stumble upon different problems than geeks. And see different points of improvement. When Athom gets done with the real big 'problem' issues, these kinds of tips are needed to work on to make Homey the perfect product for everybody.
  • Also, let's not misinterpret the term 'geek' in this context. It is just a label that Athom used to distinguish people on Kickstarter. The Geeks are just people willing to pay more to get Homey faster. And some of them have Arduino's.

Just saying. I consider myself a Geek too, but I am a "normal" backer. 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We like the feedback, don't worry :) Our goal is to create an amazing product, so we knew it would get quite painful at times!
  • tunftunf Member
    Hi, unboxing was a nice suprise. however, a dutch small piece of paper, ga naar setup.athom.com en volg de instructies (bijv. vanaf een browser met chrome) would have been nice.
    Thing with the usb cal is very easy to fix/ bent, cabel is a nice length.

First time install is cousing some more issues and is still on its way,
    Some advice,
    Create a boot sound, bleed or so. then after boot, i tells me to go to setup.athom.com so thats nice, perhaps to add, go to setup.athom.com and follow the instructions to start using me.
    It is going round purple for over 30 minutes now, if an update is starting, it would have been nice that it tells me wifi connection succesfull, now updating please leave me alone as long as my ring is purple.

• tunf said:
    Hi, unboxing was a nice suprise. however, a dutch small piece of paper, ga naar setup.athom.com en volg de instructies (bijv. vanaf een browser met chrome) would have been nice.

If I'm not mistaken, it's on the box :)
  • tunftunf Member
    started a new topic, my first homey. I will desriced what i experianced as a default user, after this i will go to it mode and test its options.
This discussion has been closed.