This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Amazon Echo

Same idea, but already finished.
What do you think about it?

Comments

• Controlling the lights in your room is absent! There are no on-board radio modules.
  • edited November 2014
    Had the same thought.
    It will definitely be competition for those that do not mind that they cannot control their appliances, especially at 99$ for Amazon Prime members!!!!
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    There are definitely some similarities. It's still very limited in functionality though, as Amazon decides what you do with it and what not (e.g. no Spotify support, because it competes with Amazon's Prime Music).
  • I'm also missing infrared, app store etc
  • If you ask me, the scala of on-board radio modules are what makes Homey great! Echo is very limited when it comes to controlling your home (home automation). For me, Echo would be cool but not even close to the capabilities of Homey :)

Although, it would be great if Homey also answers questions, tells you what time it is, creates to-do lists, set a timer, etc like Amazon's Echo does.

Emile, will it be possible that Homey is able to do such things (maybe with Google Now?)?

Thanks!
    Lesley
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, definitely! (Those are actually the easy parts)
  • Nice one!
  • A extended review of the Echo.
    Let's me sure you guys don't make the same mistakes:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/19/7548059/amazon-echo-review-speaker
    It was the first thing I've read in the morning! Love the fact that they talked about an open platform :)
  • Having said that Emile, will it be possible to connect a voice-command and to some http/REST call? And one step further, to speech-to-text data as a parameter? This would enable all kinds of usefull things, like adding spoken "Homey, add to EverNote: Find time to talk to Stefan and Emile about some kind of collaboration" and have that text appear in EverNote. (Note that I don't know if EverNote supports this kind of REST-API, but it WOULD enable me (and others) to more easily build a proxy/connector outside of Homey to do such things.)
    @Athomey, I'm not sure I understand you correctly. You can register to certain trigger words (evernote in this case), and then look at the whole speech sentence.

If you mean sending text to Homey as if it were recognized speech, that is possible as well!
  • I mean that the resulting action is not triggering devices and such, but calling some REST API and adding as a parameter the speech-recognized as text? THis means the spoken text "Find time to talk to Stefan and Emile about some kind of collaboration" in the example can be added as a text-parameter to the resulting HTTP call.
    You'd write something like this then:

App.prototype.events = { speech: function( speech ) { speech.triggers.forEach(function(trigger){ if( trigger.id == 'evernote' ) { Homey.module('request').post({ url: 'http://evernote.com/api/new', { contents: speech.transcript // this is your sentence }, function(err, result, body){ if( err ) return false; Homey.say( __("Your reminder has been added to Evernote") ); } }); } }); } }
  • Very, very, very nice. :-) And I assume this will be there on release, and not on the 1-day-to-5-years-list-of-very-nice-ideas?
    Haha, yeah, this is how you'd write an app for Homey!
  • Training the Echo the Hue lights by voice:
  • Echo is already available for some time, but it appears very limited to me. The things it can do work very well, but the limitation of the platform makes is far less suitable for the non-US market.
  • i
    1700,- server + product. Shiiiiiit...
  • I Like how they thought ahead about multiroom support from day one.
  • just 219 dollar without cloud service....

yeah multiroom support is nice! 
    i think this can be a winner!
  • DD Member
    I don't see anywhere if they're making an EU version (i.e. with the right Z-Wave freq).
  • look on google for diy projects,  Amazon Echo in combination with the Raspberry.
  • just 219 dollar without cloud service....

yeah multiroom support is nice! 
    i think this can be a winner!

Without cloud service ? if you can combine it with a in-house solution so you need the other part as well...

If you guys think Athom didn't thought about multi-room solution you dont understand the possibilities with Homey at all.

With only 10 minutes coding I created an iOS app to send voice messages to Homey. A multi-room solution can be added later on real easy because the API already exists ;) A mini device with 1 microphone and speaker you can already create it your self.
  • The key word here is later. Has nothing to do with tinking or understanding.

• The key word here is later. Has nothing to do with tinking or understanding.

So go back them up then and we will see what they will deliver next year. If you are so certain they will deliver exactly what they are selling. Because they say it will be finished around december 2016. 
  • What issue do you have with reading? Again, stop putting words in my mouth!
  • What issue do you have with reading? Again, stop putting words in my mouth!
    I think you have a issue with writing. We can't look inside your head to know what you are thinking. ""Later" is the keyword nothing to do with understanding or thinking." :neutral:
This discussion has been closed.