This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Virtual devices

In an other thread I saw that an app was declined because it used devices for a service. For my variable app I want to use devices to manipulate variables from the android app. Is this allowed? 

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    No, that would be too confusing for my mom. 
  • kriebelkouskriebelkous Member
    edited February 2016
    @Emile said:
    This comment needs to be framed and hanged somewere in the athom building.. 
  • Emile said:
    I assume you would install it for your mom as I would install it for my wife (if moms and wifes are the only one used as a reference to buy this system, you wont sell a lot of devices).

The main device I look for is a switch for booleans. The first thing my wife said was, I want easy control and I want no voice control. So I envision her to go to the app and turn on or off the living room. Then the real magic start to happen, lights are turned on on lumen sensors, heating is turned on on in and outside temps etc etc. I don't see a big confusion here..? And it is optional to add the device, you still can use the app without adding devices (so dont do this for your mom :))

But if this is not allowed, can I install an app via the command line besides only running it? Then Ill release a version without devices and make the devices in a seperate branch on github so people that want it fetches the "non-mom" version from there.

• Maybe all apps should be able to create mobile cards?

I can imagine this would come in handy in some situations (as long as the end user can manage which cards will show).
  • Uranday said:
    Emile said:

But if this is not allowed, can I install an app via the command line besides only running it? Then Ill release a version without devices and make the devices in a seperate branch on github so people that want it fetches the "non-mom" version from there.

Use --install instead of --run :)
  • Uranday said:
    Emile said:
    I assume you would install it for your mom as I would install it for my wife (if moms and wifes are the only one used as a reference to buy this system, you wont sell a lot of devices).

The main device I look for is a switch for booleans. The first thing my wife said was, I want easy control and I want no voice control. So I envision her to go to the app and turn on or off the living room. Then the real magic start to happen, lights are turned on on lumen sensors, heating is turned on on in and outside temps etc etc. I don't see a big confusion here..? And it is optional to add the device, you still can use the app without adding devices (so dont do this for your mom :))

I really do miss this functionality at the moment (and no I'm not a wife or mom). Just the ability to trigger a flow on a virtual button press.
  • The workaround emile posted using the kaku pairing does work but it really is a workaround. Having a bunch of virtual cards wih a socket icon doesn't work for me esthetically and quite frankly can be equally confusing to mom's and wifes. 
    A card called TV with a socket displayed on the card could be interpreted as switching the tv on or off instead of activating a flow. A virtual device with some sort of flow icon would solve this I think. 
  • Moek said:
    The workaround emile posted using the kaku pairing does work but it really is a workaround. Having a bunch of virtual cards wih a socket icon doesn't work for me esthetically and quite frankly can be equally confusing to mom's and wifes. 
    A card called TV with a socket displayed on the card could be interpreted as switching the tv on or off instead of activating a flow. A virtual device with some sort of flow icon would solve this I think. 
    Maybe the ability to change the icon would help then you can choose your own icon for the card.
  • fuzzybear said:
    Moek said:
    The workaround emile posted using the kaku pairing does work but it really is a workaround. Having a bunch of virtual cards wih a socket icon doesn't work for me esthetically and quite frankly can be equally confusing to mom's and wifes. 
    Maybe the ability to change the icon would help then you can choose your own icon for the card.
    If that would be possible that would be great. 
    A dropdown menu of available icons as soon as you select "other" while pairing.