This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Transceivers

Has anyone already do something with the two transceivers? 
Any documentation or inspiring ideas?

Comments

• Emile told us that there will come an Arduino example. I only think that he is just a little busy with smashing bugs at the moment.
  • Allright. Something to play with when version 2.0 has arrived. I have patience.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Yeah, the Arduino library doesn't have the highest priority, as you can probably imagine :sweat_smile: 
  • Is there at least a scematic of the board available or some other documentation?
  • Judging from the picture above the pins are labelled, can't really read the text there but it must be sufficient for someone holding a tranciever in their hands and having some experience with an Arduino. This may also work: http://bfy.tw/4G4M
  • :)
    I measure the moisture-level in my plants soil, outside temperature and humidity with an arduino. Once in every ten minutes a signal is send by Bluetooth (readable by a Bluetooth Terminal). Homey will be logging the data but for this first Bluetooth has to work. Didn't connect a 433 board yet...
  • :)
    I measure the moisture-level in my plants soil, outside temperature and humidity with an arduino. Once in every ten minutes a signal is send by Bluetooth (readable by a Bluetooth Terminal). Homey will be logging the data but for this first Bluetooth has to work. Didn't connect a 433 board yet...
    Do you have an instructable for that by the way? I would love to make something like that! :)
  • I built something like this:

• There is a site called instructables.com where you can find many DIY projects including arduino and RF 433
    For example http://www.instructables.com/id/RF-315433-MHz-Transmitter-receiver-Module-and-Ardu/
  • Also very nice site for this kind of projects: www.mysensors.org
  • PimBliek said:
    Also very nice site for this kind of projects: www.mysensors.org

yes and thus hoping for a mysensors gateway app from the community.....my programming skills are minimal.....

• ReneBoeijeReneBoeije Member
    edited February 2016
    I built something like this:

Funny.... I came accross this topic as I was looking for info on the geek-edition nrf 905 modules (To find out the folder with example code is empty.) I just dismantled my soil moisture sensor today, because the sensort itself erodated. I noticed the topic title and thought 'let's look what sensor is used' - to find out it is exactly the same crap I have. 
    So looking for some golden pins or something more reliable that a PCB finger where the indicator indicates how much of the sensor is gone and not the moisture level:).
    I hooked it up to an esp8266 btw, on my server a few lines of PHP that dumped the parameters sent by de esp to a mysql db. (Which is in preparation to do something with homey instead, but first try to get reliable/sensible figures.)

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited February 2016
    I have a professional one at work. For now, at home, I only take a measurement once every ten minutes (should be one hour I guess) for a few seconds to prevent corrosion. Would be nice if you can switch polarities after every measurement...
  • Indeed. But I think the setup with this little pcb is that the 2 contacts are always measuring. There is an analog output that is (I guess, not checked) in line with te resistance. There is a logical output as well, that is hig/low depending on the set level by a little pot. I connect that analog output to the analog input of the esp. I think using a precious metal and timer is the best solution, not?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited February 2016
    Alarm.timerRepeat(600, Repeats);            // timer for every 10 minutes    
    void Repeats(){
    digitalWrite(3, HIGH); //bodemvocht aan
    Alarm.delay(2000); //2 seconden wachten
    s = analogRead(A0); //lees bodemvocht
    digitalWrite(3, LOW); //bodemvocht uit
    BT.print("bodemvocht: "); //write to bluetooth
    BT.println((1000-s));
    }
    The professional sensor I have at work just uses stainless steel afaik (http://www.delta-t.co.uk/product-display.asp?id=ML3 Product&div=Soil Science)...

Now we have to wait for the bluetooth-stack of Homey

• €460  is a bit too much to put in every pot. Stainles is a good option indeed, but as you can't solder it, with screws it becomes a bit bigger if you screw.
  • I imagine the sensor reads the resistance of the ground it is in. Could't you solder a few wires on the sensor and put those in the pot at various depths? You might have to do some math coping with the added resistance of the attached wire but it could help corroding the sensor itself. Or is this idea just to simple and plain stupid (i can take it :smile:  ) 
  • The corrosion is the issue. You have to make the pins of a material that does not corrode or oxidate, as that is not only influencing the resistance you are measuring, but also the life expectancy of the pins. So gold or stainless steel are good options. 
This discussion has been closed.