This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

NEW in App Store: Magic 8 ball

edited February 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions
Hello forum,

With all these serious apps full of functionality coming out, Homey needs some time to cool down from all the people asking him to do stuff. This is why I've made a Magic 8 Ball app!

Ask homey anything like:

"Magic 8 ball, will I ever find love?"

"Magic 8 ball, what is the meaning of life?"

Or a classic such as:

"Magic 8 ball, if I drink another beer, will I still go to work tomorrow?"

Don't plan your life ahead, Homey knows the smartest thing to do! Try it now!

https://apps.athom.com/app/com.8ball

Comments

• Lol! 
    I'll try it when I get home. 

Are there a lot of triggers and answers? 
  • @MathijsFrencken: Didn't you had anything better to do? I can think of many other app's that would be much more interesting  :p
  • Fire69 said:
    Lol! 
    I'll try it when I get home. 

Are there a lot of triggers and answers? 
    "magic", "eight", "ball" and "magic eight ball"
    Currently about 20 answers, might add more in the future.
    @MathijsFrencken: Didn't you had anything better to do? I can think of many other app's that would be much more interesting  :p
    Haha, it doesn't have to be all serious.  :D

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Homey just replied 'My reply is nyo' and 'Yess'

Maybe spell check some more  :# 

What happens when other languagues become available?  Replies still English?
  • ROFL :)
  • Why answer your Homey? My does nothing no any word.have you a previos firmware on your homey? 
  • Mine doesn't answer to voice either. 
    But it does speak when I use the /speech-input page. 
  • Fire69 said:
    Homey just replied 'My reply is nyo' and 'Yess'

Maybe spell check some more  :# 

What happens when other languagues become available?  Replies still English?

Currently, only english is supported as Dutch isn't ready to be (fully) utilized by Homey. I do get the language in the code so making it choose between Dutch and English answers isn't a problem for future versions.

Getting the language of Homey is pretty easy:
    "language = Homey.manager('i18n').getLanguage(); "

brot84 said:
    Why answer your Homey? My does nothing no any word.have you a previos firmware on your homey? 

I'm not sure I understand the question but the 8 ball app triggers when you give homey the words: "Magic", "Eight" or "Ball". To be sure it works make a parrot flow which repeats your speech input to a voice output. If Homey says: "Magic Eight Ball" (or any of these words) the app triggers.

--Dutch--

De 8 ball app is te triggeren met de woorden: "eight", "ball" of "app". Ik heb de Nederlandse ("acht", "bal" en "magische") ook toegevoegd als triggers voor het uitvoeren van deze app maar ik weet niet of de nederlandse variant ook werkt. Indien je Homey op Engels hebt staan werkt deze app niet met de Nederlandse woorden omdat hij de speech-input dan automatisch veranderd naar een Engels woord.

--/Dutch--

Fire69 said:
    Mine doesn't answer to voice either. 

Try adding a parrot flow and see if Homey comes close to capturing either "Magic, "Eight", or "Ball".

I did put the priority of the words not too high because I don't want my app to trigger when you, for example, set a timer for eight minutes.
  • Fire69 said:

Try adding a parrot flow and see if Homey comes close to capturing either "Magic, "Eight", or "Ball".

I did put the priority of the words not too high because I don't want my app to trigger when you, for example, set a timer for eight minutes.
    Thanks for the answer, but the problem is not with your app, it's working very good. :)
    I'm just victim of the speech bug not responding to 'OK Homey'  :'(
  •  Fire69 said:
    Fire69 said:

Thanks for the answer, but the problem is not with your app, it's working very good. :)
    I'm just victim of the speech bug not responding to 'OK Homey'  :'(

This is a problem that troubles us all. I have made this app with the developer (CMD) console. After running it reports the full speech (input) string to the console, it usually isn't even close to capturing what the user said haha. :D

• This is a problem that troubles us all. I have made this app with the developer (CMD) console. After running it reports the full speech (input) string to the console, it usually isn't even close to capturing what the user said haha. :D
    Well, I hope Athom will in the future (be able to) change to another speech service.
    When you use the /speech-input page, it uses the Google engine and this one is very good at understanding what you said.