This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

DIY Geek Edition

@Emile is it possible to hook up your own RF transceivers up to Homey? I didn't order the Geek Addition but since I ordered and now is almost 2 years. In the meantime I'm playing a bit with Arduino and 2.4GHz sensors (www.mysensors.org). A lot of fun :). I would like to hook this one up to Homey if possible: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10Pcs-x-NRF24L01-Wireless-Module-2-4G-Wireless-Communication-Module-Upgrade-Module/1289649564.html?aff_platform=aaf&aff_trace_key=5cace2bde31d4e45bfd95a3c66f7d76b-1455442683291-06104-yFEmiMnQN&sk=yFEmiMnQN:&cpt=1455442683291

Comments

• JooleeJoolee Member
    edited February 2016
    Athom promised to release an Arduino lib for those exact modules. The Geek versions were suposed to ship with the NRF24L01+ sensors but they switched to the NRF905 type. Probably because of the improved range of using <1 Ghz communication compared to 2,4Ghz.

The (empty) homey-arduino Github repository is unclear about the exact sensor that will be supported but I think you can expect them to develop the library for the NRF905 module. I do expect the community to release a modified library with support for the 2,4Ghz module once Athom has released their own library.

You could always just connect the module to your WiFi network and talk to homey using their REST api.
  • The description of that github page does indeed say:
    "Arduino library to communicate with Homey, using nRF905 transceivers", so I think your expectations are correct.
  • Isn't it because the nRF905 communicates on other frequencies and there isn't a 2.4 Ghz present in Homey?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited February 2016
    @kasteleman I think so too, that's why I chose a Bluetooth transceiver for my project (though I have a 433Mhz lying around too).
This discussion has been closed.